It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone not like Greenday?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAF101
GREENDAY?? AHHHHH !!!!!
Greenday I remember was that crazy punk band that used to cause a small riot when ever it played and all the people in the crowd were either drunk or on their way.

The present Greenday is some sick and twisted distortion of the Greenday it was to be, a sad emotional and sissy greenday that make me go........
YAWN......

Well said, well said. When I think of Green Day I split them into "Old Green Day" and "New Green Day". The quote above me is absolutely correct, new Green Day are a bunch of sissys that only appeal to young teens and pre-teens. Next thing you know they're going to team up with Sesame Street for a nice Christmas Album.

The Killers arn't bad... but Fall Out Boy is. Fall Out Boy and New Green Day are pop music, end of story. I would be surprised if somebody could prove to me that they arn't sell-outs.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Well to answer your question
Noooooooo I do not like Green Day at all whatsoever
Never did
Never will
And whats with that masturbating on stage thing of his ?
Theres tons of little 8 year old fan girls in the crowd

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Oh gosh
Dont even get me started on Fall Out Boy
Ughhh !
They even had a 12391827390 page picture shoot in the Rolling Stone
I do not want my magazine to come with tons of pictures of sasquatches !
Well....I'd love the sasquatches...
Wait....sasquatches are cool...
Even cooler than FOB

Ah

Dont kill me now

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by joshter
Fall Out Boy and New Green Day are pop music, end of story.

Just be this quote alone it sounds as though you don't know what in the world music actually is. If you didn't know 'pop' actually stands for 'popular'. It's got nothing to do with the sound of the music. Now Green Day i think fall in to that, as they've sold a lot of albums, 10 million alone of dookie. so by definition the amount of albums green day have sold they are pop. i'd call them punk pop, because it's popular punk.

the thing is, all green day were doing with american idiot is to try and make something different. they did the same thing with warning, only warning wasn't as popular. warning was a pure acoustic with pop rock mixed in...hardly something you'd expect green day to be putting out after albums like dookie. so if you think you're the first people to not like green day's music, think again, the same happened around the warning time too.

as for green day themselves, i don't think they could care less what you think.

I would be surprised if somebody could prove to me that they arn't sell-outs.

exactly who did they sell out to? the fact that they signed a record contract that enabled millions of kids to hear their music? that would strike me as the normal thing any musician would want. would you prefer if they gave all the money they earnt to charity...hence then they wouldn't technically be selling out, as they're not getting money.

sell-out is just a lame term for people who know nothing about music, to describe a band or artist they're either jealous of, or don't like because everyone else seems to like them.

metallica have sold way more albums than green day, but they're still writing the same sort of music...are they sell outs? i wouldn't think so. are they sell outs because you can buy their merchandise like t-shirts and caps? if people want to buy that stuff and there is a demand to buy you band merchandise you'd be stupid not to make it available. in no way is that 'selling-out'.

i could go on about any band or artist who have sold many records, i wouldn't ever come across this 'selling out' concept though. if green day hadn't have signed to a record company, that would never have giving them the time to write their classic songs, such as time of your life, basket case etc. they would have been stuck in their van touring tiny crappy venues for the rest of their lives. if wanting to be a success, if wanting to have your music available to millions of people, and selling merchandise is selling out...then yes they have, but i don't at all see that as selling out.

like i said, learn something about the music industry before you come on here trying to throw around technical terms, because you sound like a bunch of *****.

posted on Mar, 5 2006 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I don't like GreenDay either... they are too "green"... to much "wanna be" smell comes out of there .... whinning songs with lyrics that show nothing else but the desperate need of wanting to be popular... hoping and wishing that one day they can actually sing something worthy of beeing listen to.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   

If you didn't know 'pop' actually stands for 'popular'. It's got nothing to do with the sound of the music.

Yet, it has everything to do with what they sound like. To the average radio listener it means "popular". But to people who know more about music than how to change the radio station it is another word for sell out.

the thing is, all green day were doing with american idiot is to try and make something different.

They did do something different. They changed their image into a band that makes people such as myself split them into "old green day" and "new green day".

metallica have sold way more albums than green day, but they're still writing the same sort of music...are they sell outs?

Thanks for making a great point. Metallica are still writing the same sort of music... to a certain extent. But that's for a whole different topic. What came to my mind was the point that I made earlier about them changing their image. They took something "underground" and made it mainstream. If you compare "Old Green Day" to "New Green Day" you will realize that they are in fact changing their music for a quick buck. Of course, like you stated, that's the main concept of music artists. To make money, but if they have to change their whole music philosophy i.e. selling out, then so be it.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Grren Day is great! Compared to most other bands. They don't just cuss to cuss, or degrade women, or killing gays for fun, or go on and on about their old dog that use to drink with them while they killed gays and blacks, or sex with family, so better then Rap, or COuntry.

They play instruments, they sing, they are obviously better the Spears or uh, Backstreet Boys or whoever like that.

But compared to greats of greats like Zepplin, Metallica, or The Boss Bruce Springsteen, they are mediocre.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by joshter
Yet, it has everything to do with what they sound like. To the average radio listener it means "popular".

Pop merely means 'popular' and that's it. Normally if you're top 10 or 20, you're 'pop'. It has no bearing on the genre of music you play whatsoever. If metallica got in to the top 20, yes they could be considered 'pop'. Not their music mind you, their music would still be metal etc, but you could consider them pop.

But to people who know more about music than how to change the radio station it is another word for sell out.

People who use the term sell out are normally the people who:

1) didn't make it as a musician or in the music industry

2) are jealous of that so called 'sell out'

3) don't know what in the world they're talking about

They did do something different. They changed their image into a band that makes people such as myself split them into "old green day" and "new green day".

So to keep the old fans happy they were supposed to put out the same old music? That would be far worse than doing a different album, and getting different fans. If the old fans don't like the look or the new album, then that's there problem. Billie Joe writes songs for one person...himself. O.k two, adrienne. He said in an interview, she's his inspiration to write songs. Not the fans. He's not going to write music for the fans, he's writing it for himself, and if people like it, that's just a bonus.

Thanks for making a great point. Metallica are still writing the same sort of music... to a certain extent. But that's for a whole different topic.

I'd much prefer a band that did something different, than did something the same. I'm one of the few people that you'll find that likes Green Day's Warning album, most green day fans say it's not 'real green day' etc. I liked it because it was different to their other stuff. That and AI are my favorite ones of theirs.

What came to my mind was the point that I made earlier about them changing their image. They took something "underground" and made it mainstream.

You'll find billie joe has worn black nail varnish prior to AI, his black #s and pants prior to AI, black hair prior to AI. The only arguement you'd have is for black eye liner... although that's just more 'emo' than anything else. Maybe he saw someone wearing it and thought 'that looks cool'.

If you compare "Old Green Day" to "New Green Day" you will realize that they are in fact changing their music for a quick buck.

that's your problem that you see two green days. i see one green day. they're the same as ever, they're the same people, they're the same band, they're writing different music, but personally i can't stand bands that write the same crap over and over.

Of course, like you stated, that's the main concept of music artists. To make money, but if they have to change their whole music philosophy i.e. selling out, then so be it.

i don't think anyone could have anticipated the hugeness of AI, not even the band itself. sure they must have thought, 'we've got a platinum album here'...*fingers crossed* etc. however, no one can write an album and 'know' they're going to make a huge amount of money. nothing in the music industry is certain.

i wonder if AI had been as big as it is, perhaps if it sold only 500,000 copies, would you be here telling me they sold out. is it because they've sold over 5 million copies that you think they're sell outs?

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I never did like Green Day. I remember everyone talking about how great they were since I was about 14 years old (I'm 25 now) and I never did care for them. I think I like one, maybe two songs by them but on a whole, I don't care for them.

In my opinion the song "American Idiot" makes them hypocrites (I know I'm going to get blasted for saying this.) They are complaining about the media and the capitalistic government, however they have greatly benefited from both. I can just imagine Billie Joe singing this song in the studio while his nice and shiny BMW is parked in the studio's parking lot. I already know that some green day fan is going to accuse me of being jealous...whatever. I don't even like BMW's. Seriously if they are reaping benefits from a system they are complaining about, then they aren't exactly fighting the system.

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft]
4. Could anything be worse that FAUX-BRITISH accents?????

You think Green Day is bad with that, have you ever heard Tim Armstrong from Rancid? He really lays on the fake British accent!

Originally posted by Conspiracy Theorist06:
Third Eye Blind: Rockish (yes i know they are old but I like the 90's)

Sum 41: Punk rockish (yes I know they r old also)

You think Third Eye Blind is old? Geez, now I feel old. I don't consider things from the 90's, especially mid to late 90's old quite yet. I love Third Eye Blind by the way, at least I did. I played them so much in my late teens/early 20's that I'm bored with them now. Sum 41 isn't old either. Heck they are newer than Third Eye Blind. However I can't stand them.

posted on Mar, 6 2006 @ 03:32 PM
link   
but Billie Joe isn't necessarily singing about the media such as kerrang, or his record company that puts his music out, I think he's on a bout a more subliminal yet mainstream media called the news hence the line 'the subliminal mind**** america'. Basically they're dupped in to anything by the media. he's not saying media is bad. He also doesn't hate government, it's george bush, the guy in the driving seat who they don't approve of. often lyrics are misinterpreted.

heck 100s maybe even 1000s have had time of your life played at their funeral. however, it's slightly ironic that the actual meaning of the song is not 'yey joy great, you were real good, i hope you had the time of your life' and so on. it's basically 'i'm ****ing glad you're dead, you son of a *****, haha you're dead' song.

so yeh, it's not my fault if you misinterpret lyrics.

posted on Apr, 8 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
i do listen to them, i mean they have some great songs, as to the bands, i dont really know much of it

time of your life
boulevard of broken dreams (mixed with travis' Wrting to reach you, and oasis' Wonderwall)

posted on Apr, 9 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DevinS
Grren Day is great! Compared to most other bands. They don't just cuss to cuss, or degrade women, or killing gays for fun, or go on and on about their old dog that use to drink with them while they killed gays and blacks, or sex with family, so better then Rap, or COuntry.

They play instruments, they sing, they are obviously better the Spears or uh, Backstreet Boys or whoever like that.

But compared to greats of greats like Zepplin, Metallica, or The Boss Bruce Springsteen, they are mediocre.

I couldnt have said it any better.. they arent top-notch... but they arent pond scum either.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Green Day DO NOT PLAY their instruments.
They merely pretend to, which is why so many of their fans are adolescents who can't understand complex music anyway.
They suck
as does any band that any body in a Goth or punk club would like.
If you want great music, listen to Dream Theater.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Eh...they're alright...its not like they are my favorite band. But some of there songs are pretty cool. I prefer The Offspring over Greenday though.

posted on Apr, 12 2006 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpecAgentDW
Green Day DO NOT PLAY their instruments.

Where did you get that info?
I don't like Green Day but I do believe that they play their insruments. Before Billy Joe formed Green Day he was supposed to be one of the guitar players in Rancid, yet instead Lars Fredricksen took that spot instead and Billy Joe formed Green Day.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Green Day have as much effect on politics as a rowboat had of destroying a AEGIS Cruiser to tell the truth. They claim to be hardcore"Bush Bashers" and "Punks" but they sound and look like #1 worst band Simple plan. And everyone likes them
. There called the "newest craze" by every freakin radio station in australia but luckily my ears have exploded form their poop-rock so I will never hear their songs again, or anything else.

posted on Apr, 13 2006 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I'm not a fan of Green Day, I'm not a fan of that type of music at all, so that explains that. I prefer classic rock, some country, some hard rock depends on my mood. But green day aint ever in my cd player.

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Okay, okay...GreenDay do play their instruments, they just suck at it.
If you can't play a half way decent guitar solo...you shouldn't be in a rock band.
PUNK SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LONG LIVE CLASSIC ROCK!!!!!!!!!
DEATH TO ALL ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
They're okay. Green Day was complete # until American Idiot.

Edit: Yes, but give me Led Zeppelin any day.

[edit on 20-4-2006 by Johnmike]

posted on Apr, 20 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Greenday hugs the bowl !!

always did...always will !!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join