It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NM Governor Admits Lie (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
New Mexico Governor Bill Richardson has admitted that a widely reported story about his life is untrue.

For many years now, biographical sketches of Richardson have stated that the former Energy Secretary and UN Ambassador was drafted by the Kansas City Athletics professional baseball team. Now, prompted by an investigation of the story by the Albuquerque Journal, the Governor has admitted that indeed, he was not drafted.

In a written statement in response to the Journal's request for information, Richardson stated "After being notified of the situation and after researching the matter ... I came to the conclusion that I was not drafted by the A's..."

www.breitbart.com
Gov. Bill Richardson is coming clean on his draft record _ the baseball draft, that is, admitting that his claim to have been a pick of the Kansas City A's in 1966 was untrue.

For nearly four decades, Richardson, often mentioned as a possible Democratic presidential candidate, has maintained he was drafted by the Kansas City Athletics.

The claim was included in a brief biography released when Richardson successfully ran for Congress in 1982. A White House news release in 1997 mentioned it when he was about to be named U.S. ambassador to the United Nations. And several news organizations, including The Associated Press, have reported it as fact over the years.

But an investigation by the Albuquerque Journal found no record of Richardson being drafted by the A's, who have since moved to Oakland, or any other team.

Informed by the newspaper of its findings, the governor acknowledged the error in a story in Thursday's editions.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, it is probabaly best that Richardson admitted the lie now, rather than a few years from now when he is in the throes of his expected run for the Presidency.

As a NM resident (at least until Monday), I couldn't care less - this is just icing on the proverbial Bill Richardson cheesecake. For certain, folks have lost their jobs in other high-profile situations when it was discovered that they had padded their resume (eg. they football coach at Notre Dame a few years back). One would think that someone would know whether or not they had been drafted and wouldn't need to do a lot of research to confirm something they have been claiming for nearly 40 years.

[edit on 11/25/2005 by ChemicalLaser]

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Hehe, he probably lied to a girl one night to impress her and ended up getting together with her, carrying the lie all the way to 2005. Let that be a lesson to youse!

Zip

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I find it refreshing for a politician to admit to a lie!

And if you don't like it here in the "Land of Enchantment" ADIOS!

New Mexico from my experience is a beautiful, multi-cultural, laid back, but somewhat backward, wonderful and unique place to live. And frankly from your anger and trashing NM, you won't be missed.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 12:00 AM
link   
New Mexico is far from perfect, but there's nowhere I'd rather be. As far a Richardson goes, he's suffers from Shakespearian-style ambition. When he ran for Governor, he couldn't resist running one of the dirtiest campaigns I've ever seen against a man who had no chance to beat him. When he was called down by the public for his car speeding throughout the state, he said that he's a busy man and that the state benefits from his flouting the law.

As far as his being drafted by the A's, he played for an amateur team in New England and the program printed the fact that he was drafted by the then Kansas City A's and somehow he believed it to be true because it was in print. Never mind that he hadn't been contacted by anyone from the team, as long as it was in print, his hands are clean.

[edit on 2005/11/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Was he drafted? Invited to the practice squad? Who can remember that long ago?

Someone is digging awfully deep to try to use this against him...is this all they can find?

I think Zipdot had it right...it was the heat of the moment.
I'll leave it at that; we all have our imaginations!

I like Richardson, but I think he has done too little to protect his southern border. As a result he's got 4 counties that are disaster zones.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   
OK, I know 'they' discourage discussions about voting within ATSNN submission threads, but I've received enough "NO" votes now that I'm fairly confident that this isn't going to make it up. Most of the votes have been "NO, writing". After the first 2 or so, I re-edited the intro and comments. I thought that I had caught all the grammatical issues.

The more recent "NO, writing" comments have me bewildered. What's the problem? There appears to be something wrong, but I'm just not seeing it. I can't edit the story anymore - I'd just like to know what everyone is objecting to.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Just an FYI folks - I copied my intro text into WordPerfect and checked the grammar and spelling. No problems there.

It did find one spelling error in the comments - "probabaly" instead of "probably".

Is it the style, diction, or what? Seriously, I'd really like to know.

EDIT: I've been informed that the introduction is supposed to be a single paragraph. Guess I should have read the instructions more carefully.

[edit on 11/26/2005 by ChemicalLaser]

top topics

join