It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question for atheists

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I was watching this atheist TV program on access TV the other day. A Christian girl called in talking about experiencing a tingling feeling at... somewhere, I can't recall. Anyway, she said that this confirmed her beliefs.

Well, at the end of the call, the girl said she would pray for the two atheist hosts of the show. One of the guys said that he thinks it's rude whenever people tell him they'll pray for him. His reasoning was that it implies something is wrong with him that the prayer's god has to fix. The other guy disagreed that it's rude, but agreed that it's strange when people say they'll pray for him. His response was funnier, though; he suggested that if someone says they'll pray for you, you should tell them you'll sacrifice a chicken for them.

The point is, do any of the atheists agree or disagree with the first guy? How do y'all take it when someone says they'll pray for you?

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Honestly? I take it as the nice gesture it is: someone caring enough about my wellbeing to take some time out of their day to do something to increase it.

I don't think that the prayer will have much effect, but I appreciate the thought all the same.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I'm not an atheist, more of an agnostic and although I'm not exactly offended, I want to say, "That's not necessary, ok"? I never do say that (I don't want to offend them), but it's how I feel.

The thing is, when someone says they'll pray for me, it's like saying that what I believe or don't believe doesn't matter. That they somehow have inside connections and they'll see what they can do for me. So even though I'm 'lost' or don't have a clue, they'll take care of it. I feel as though I've been patronized. Strange, huh?

I like the chicken sacrifice line. That would be my style.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
The point is, do any of the atheists agree or disagree with the first guy? How do y'all take it when someone says they'll pray for you?

If they know I'm an atheist, then it's a slap in the face. After all, they can certainly pray for me to their heart's content without bothering to tell me they are doing so. Why are they telling me, do they want a cookie or something?

If they don't know, then I take it as the voice of compassion that it generally is, and I just say "thanks".

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeka
How do y'all take it when someone says they'll pray for you?

They sound like a condescending moron and might as well be saying I'll sacrifice a chicken for you themselves. No difference.

posted on Nov, 21 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   
To be honest, I'm a believer and I get uncomfortable when people say they'll pray for me. I'll pray for myself, if I have thanks to give or questions needing answering - my point is I think it's patronising telling someone you're going to pray for them, unless they are not consciously able to do so themselves.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Start singing Marilyn Manson:

Don’t pray for me!
I don’t need your sympathy
I don’t want your God protecting me
Don’t pray for me!
I don’t want your empathy
I don’t need your Savior saving me
Don’t pray for me!

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 01:21 AM
link   
sheesh I get to follow a maryln manson mention. A tough act to follow and it's perfect.

I can definitely see how the first guy would be offended. It's a person ridiculing the path another has choosen. I can understand if they pray for a sick person or a safe journey, but to pray that someone "See's the light
" it's arrogant.

Personally, i'd kind of roll my eyes and shake my head and maybe even get a chuckle and never think of it again.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Benevolent Heretic said pretty much exactly how I feel.
Only thing I would add is that this Christian girl says she will pray for the radio host, she comes across as an elitist.
I know this opens a can of worms but what makes her assume that her praying will help him at all. By her logic we are ALL gods children, him kicking a donkey is gonna be noticed just as much as her praying, by her logic. Im really confused by this praying for someone.
I mean what if they didn't pray for them, is he screwed?

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bandar Paul
Im really confused by this praying for someone.
I mean what if they didn't pray for them, is he screwed?

Prayer make no sense at all from god's perspective. He is omnicsient and already knows your needs. He is self sufficient and does not want your hynms of praise anymore than he used to want animal sacrifice. A self sufficient being has no needs or desires by definition.

Prayer is for the person doing the praying, not for god. "I'll pray for you" is then tantamount to "I'll placate my ego for you". It's really pretty worthless, but those who say it don't see it that way.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by spamandham

Prayer is for the person doing the praying, not for god. "I'll pray for you" is then tantamount to "I'll placate my ego for you". It's really pretty worthless, but those who say it don't see it that way.

Well said spamandham, agreed.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I'm not an atheist--except in regard to man's made-up god. That's the god that most pray to--regardless if we lead ourselves astray or somehow stumble upon some semblance of divine truth--in the beginning every search for god (or God) is fueled by selfish desires and insecurities. Nothing wrong with that--we are all human, after all--but there is a type of 'giving' that is actually 'taking,' and this type of thing falls under that heading, IMO.

I have often been generously donated to in the way of a precious wedge of the prayer hour of a christian do-gooder; or at least that is what was declared to me--who knows if there was actually any follow-through?
Truly I hope there wasn't.

Invariably it was in response (more likely 'reaction' instead--some sort of defense mechanism, from my view) to my persistent rebuttal on some scriptural issue--it's one of the 'last resort' measures engaged in when there is no other means of discrediting (what I feel is) sound reasoning that goes against the religious deformation of the so-called 'truth'--kind of like beating someone with their own bat, I guess. That sounds awful, and maybe I am not doing right in that, but that's probably a personal problem on my part....

I always want to say--when someone tells me they are going to pray on my behalf that God might show me the right (read: their) path by making contact with me somehow--I want to say 'Please don't! I can't be sure what/who it is you are really asking for something to be given to me. Don't put me in that kind of jeopardy!' That's in extreme cases. In others I just either say thanks (because most are sincerely unaware which has nothing to do with whether their intentions are charitable or not) or I just say 'thanks but no thanks' and blow it off.

I don't ask God for things--I don't want someone else thinking they should do it for me--especially when things are better for me than could possibly be imagined from the religious point of view.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bandar Paul

Well said spamandham, agreed.

What if believers don't recognize their ego? What if they follow the practices of their faiths to the degree that their personal ego are not what is speaking? Wouldn't an atheist who knows themselves place the same personality traits and character traits on others due to the conditioning of the only source they know, thus concluding that "I'll pray for you" must be equated to "I'll placate my ego for you", only because they can't imagine life without their own ego?

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simon_the_byron
To be honest, I'm a believer and I get uncomfortable when people say they'll pray for me. I'll pray for myself, if I have thanks to give or questions needing answering - my point is I think it's patronising telling someone you're going to pray for them, unless they are not consciously able to do so themselves.

Ah, but we are supposed to pray for one another.
We are the salt of the world; we give the Holy Spirit legal authority to act in this world. Our prayers are instrumental in this.
The other side does the same thing, and Satan must work within the spiritual framework as well. Prayer is most important during this Church Age.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
Wouldn't an atheist who knows themselves place the same personality traits and character traits on others due to the conditioning of the only source they know, thus concluding that "I'll pray for you" must be equated to "I'll placate my ego for you", only because they can't imagine life without their own ego?

I think you may have missed the part about "but they don't see it that way".

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I think you may have missed the part about "but they don't see it that way".

Thanks for pointing that out.

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I hate it when christians say" i'll pray for you" its like the are flaunting thier faith in front of me. if you are going to to pray for somebody don't tell them. Didn't jesus say "when you pray go in your closet and shut the doors and then pray to your heavenly father"

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
Ah, but we are supposed to pray for one another.

That's all well and good, but if they feel the need to pray for me I'd rather they did so privately instead of announcing it to me just to get the last word in a discussion, when it becomes clear they have no point to make.

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I think when people say that they will pray for us/me it is to make them think that they are doing gods will and make themselves feel better. Personally I dont care whether people pray for me or not (its a waste of their time not mine) but if it makes them happy who am I to dissagree. There's nothing wrong with feeling happy or making yourself happy, but I could think of better ways than prayer

G

posted on Nov, 23 2005 @ 01:15 PM
link   
As with anything it depends on how it's meant. I don't think it's hard to realise that not all call themselves Christians are selfless careing people, nor are they all patronsing egocentrics.

Most that I have encountered have considered it something kind to do and I don't see it any differently. Surely if someone truly believes then by praying for you they are just offering you their best. If someone had said to me, 'I'll pray for you' and meant it in a nice way I would have thought it a kind thing to do and thanked them irregardless of my personal views. If someone believes in anything and takes the time to ask or wish anything for your benifit it's a kindness isn't it? I think there's an easily recognisable difference between 'My thoughts are with you/I wish good fortune on you' and 'Oh you poor fool maybe one day you might reach a clarity of vision like my good self.' If it is meant it in a patronising fashion or for their own reasons then I really couldn't care less. They've got issues and frankly I've got more important things to worry about than to take offence at empty words.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join