It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Tropical Storm Gamma on Course to Strike Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Tropical Storm Gamma is expected to pour six to eight inches of rain on Central America and then head straight to Florida with winds of sixty-five miles per hour. This is the twenty-fourth storm of this hurricane season and this is the busiest Atlantic hurricane season in history. This season also holds the record for the most hurricanes with thirteen.

www.local6.com
The latest projected path of Tropical Storm Gamma shows the system hitting Florida with winds of 65 mph early next week, according to Local 6 meteorologist Tom Sorrells.

Friday night, Central Florida was put in the National Hurricane Center's projected path of movement.

"Here is the really, really troubling part about this, yes it will drop 6 to 8 inches of rain on everyone from Belize up to the Yucatan Peninsula to western Cuba," Sorrells said. "But by Sunday it will have maximum winds of 65 mph and by Monday at 1 p.m. with winds of 65 mph pounding on shore somewhere in South Florida."

Tropical Storm Gamma formed Friday off the coast of Central America.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is certainly a hurricane season to remember and I am so glad that I am living in New Mexico. Every hurricane season carries with it some anxiety about the possibility of a direct hit for those who live on the Gulf and Atlantic coasts. Hurricane tracking for coastal residents is both a hobby and an obsession. Having lived in New Orleans for twenty-two years and having ridden out every single storm in those years, I must be among the luckiest men in the world to have escaped before the big one hit. For those who live in Florida, the stakes are even higher, given that the state is hanging out there in Hurricane Alley, vulnerable on both the Atlantic and the Gulf coasts. More power to them, I don't need it. Let's just hope this one goes elsewhere or loses some steam along the way.

Related News Links:
www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov
www.cnn.com
www.cnn.com
en.wikipedia.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Intelligent Design: WHY Hurricane Katrina MUST be An Act of God?
Hurricane Wilma - Strongest Hurricane Ever Recorded!
NEWS: Atlantic Primed For Heavy Storms.
SCI/TECH: Another Possible Above Normal Hurricane Season.

[edit on 2005/11/18 by GradyPhilpott]

[edit on 19-11-2005 by Nerdling]

[edit on 22-11-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I can assure you that will all the blue tarps and debris lying around, this was not news that South Florida wanted to hear. We're hoping for weak tropical storm, but this doesn't give many much time for preparation, if it's getting here by Monday. Operation Blue Roof (Fema project) hasn't gotten around to providing tarps for everyone who needed them as of yet.

It's uncanny that Gamma is in the same area that Wilma was in, but I'm hoping for a more southernly track and the storm visiting the Bahamas. I only got my internet and cable service today, I cannot lose it again so soon.

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Thank god ohio is nowhere near an ocean!

posted on Nov, 18 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Maybe next year they'll start hitting us in the northeast. As I remember, there's only been one hurricane (that turned out to be a dud) that's hit New York in my almost 10 years of living here.

[edit on 11/18/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Maybe next year they'll start hitting us in the northeast. As I remember, there's only been one hurricane (that turned out to be a dud) that's hit New York in my almost 10 years of living here.

I believe you're the first person I heard hoping for a hurricane to hit your area other than a few crazy college students who wanted to be in a windy storm. On the other hand, you don't really need hurricanes in the northeast since you already got nor'easters. They are similiar to a hurricane.

I'm left wondering what's comes after gamma. Is it delta? I think gamma may be the last one this year.

[edit on 19-11-2005 by orionthehunter]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
I'm left wondering what's comes after gamma. Is it delta? I think gamma may be the last one this year.

Here's the Greek alphabet:

www.physlink.com...

[edit on 2005/11/19 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Im going out on a limb here but this storm will be a non issue for Florida. But I imagine rain isn't welcome right now either.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
A Thanksgiving hurricane event. hmmmm
Busiest travel day of the year is Wednesday.
This ought to muck things up a bit, eh?

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Good news, latest predictions are now indicating the storm is expected to skirt Florida on the south rather then go over the State. This may well change, but current predictions are indicating there has been a change in course due to winds aloft

[edit on 11/19/2005 by shots]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by orionthehunter
I believe you're the first person I heard hoping for a hurricane to hit your area other than a few crazy college students who wanted to be in a windy storm. On the other hand, you don't really need hurricanes in the northeast since you already got nor'easters. They are similiar to a hurricane.

Not really hoping, just wondering. The main target seems to be moving around from year to year.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
GradyPhilpott!

you lived here for 22 years and didn't bother to say hello?

any links to the projected paths? i'd like to check that out.

--Kit.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
You never know, Kitsunegari. We might have spoken. You might have seen me standing at a bus stop. I took the bus or the streetcar virtually every day of those twenty-two years.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari
any links to the projected paths? i'd like to check that out.

Intelli cast Storm Track

Hope that helps!

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
ah thank you CmdrKeenKid.

the path just catches my eye becayse of the drastic change in direction, that doesnt USUALLY happen, at least not SO drastically.

my 2 bits

--Kit.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

the path just catches my eye becayse of the drastic change in direction, that doesnt USUALLY happen, at least not SO drastically.

If you look at the 2005 Season Summary you may think differently.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   

when i speak of standards, 2005 season is not included.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   

when i speak of standards, 2005 season is not included.

I don't understand why it's not. It no different than any other year, really. Only in the amount of named storms...

2004 Season Summary
2003 Season Summary
2002 Season Summary
2001 Season Summary
2000 Season Summary
1999 Season Summary
1998 Season Summary

And that's as far back as Intellicast has Season Summaries. So why was 2005 not included again?

[edit on 11/20/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
because the year 2005 has been shrouded in mystery

i dont know, it just lookd a bit erratic to me, excuse me for being uninformed, thats why im here

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 04:08 AM
link   
This storm has vanished without getting stronger than 45mph. Does this perhaps no longer qualify as a top story?

top topics

join