It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Greenpeace Step Up Anti Japanese Whaling Campaign

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
Shots ok the minke whales may number around 1 million but what about the two endangered whales they are hunting as well.

Not sure about just which whales those are May. I was only addressing the minkes.

Do not get me wrong, I do not want to see them hunting engangered whales to that I agree. My only concern is with minkes if they are abundant then fine hunt them but not overly.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I just checked your original article Mayet and nowhere in it does it say anything about endangered whales. The only portion it says anything about endangered whales is your comments section which is not backed up the the article.

Now I am sure you or I could always come up with an anti whaling site that says they are doing that, but just saying so does not make it so. If the original story made mention of it you would have a point, but as I see it now there is nothing in the article that backs up your claim.

Just double checked your supporting links and note that the one from China does mention Fin whales and humpbacks which are indeed endangered. They also put quotes around them so I can only assume someone at Greenpeace said that and given that, I will not take it as fact since they tend to stretch things as we all know.

[edit on 11/19/2005 by shots]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
*Politely draws shots attention back again

This year, Japanese whalers are hoping to hunt 935 minke whales in Antarctic waters and target fin whales for the first time in the scientific program.

Fin whales are endangered.

news.xinhuanet.com...
"Adding insult to injury this year 10 fin whales will also be caught in the harpooner's sights. Next year 40 more fin whales will be added along with 50 humpback whales," it said. Both fin whales and humpback whales are recognized as endangered species.

My bad though, the humbacks are scheduled for next year.

The above article was referenced in other sources.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Sorry I missed out on the replies to my post.

The Japanese manipulation of the International Whaling Commission to get their way is nothing less than corruption and bribery.

Don't believe me? Read this xmb.stuffucanuse.com...

Whale meat now in Japan is of so little interest to the people that they are giving it to the children for FREE to generate a taste for it.

This is not a few japanese trying to keep their cultural traditions alive, like the Inuit.

This is a commercial company trying to exploit a declining and rare resource that they can sell to make a profit. Thats all.

If the tradition dies, or the killing of whales was restricted to those who wanted to preserve their culture I wouldn't be worried about it. But they are turning it into a commercial exercise, using the excuse of "cultural imperatives" to do it. Its blatent greed.

On one hand their people come to Australia and New Zelaand and pay heaps of money to see these magnificent animals in the ocean.

On the other they are trying to kill them for profit using such pathetic excuses as "research" and "they eat too many fish".

I want to live in a world where you can stand on the coast and watch these magnificent beings pass by. Over 90% of the big fish in the oceans have gone.

Do people understand the signifigence of the few that are left? There are not always "more fish in the sea". 50 years from now tuins of tuna will be a delicacy.

Why have they suddenly pushed this more? Because their fleets have raped the oceans and destroyed all the fish stocks in their regions. As a result its only in the Southern oceans where in the past it was too expensive to travel, and too dangerous, that they can find fish to support their industries. and here

Really if I was in the position to help I would be on one of the Greenpeace ships myself. I find the situation created by the Japanese to be deplorable and diminishes their standing in world conservation matters.

[edit on 20-11-2005 by Netchicken]

[edit on 20-11-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Let's try some semantics here. Reparsing:

Greenpeace Step Up Japanese Anti-Whaling Campaign

or

Greenpeace Step Up Japanese Whaling Campign...

Let us clarify that Greenpeace is not anti-Japanese.

Greenpeace is pro-Japan.

Greenpeace is anti-whaling.

We need to make that perfectly clear.

The Japanese people in general have a particular closeness to nature and a profound sense of beauty and personal responsibility. The Deer Park at Nara is an example of this esthetic. I believe that if this issue was put to a true democratic vote in Japan, the whales would be protected.

For the good of the ocean, and thus of Japan.

And all the inhabitants of the Earth.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
*Politely draws shots attention back again

This year, Japanese whalers are hoping to hunt 935 minke whales in Antarctic waters and target fin whales for the first time in the scientific program.

Sorry you are correct it was in the first article and I missed it, but I did acknowledge the supporting links noting that China's media quoted Green peace and I for one do not believe everything Green peace says. They are no different then Peta or other Activist groups, they lend to lie a lot.

Fin whales are endangered.

And that I also acknowledged.

news.xinhuanet.com...
"Adding insult to injury this year 10 fin whales will also be caught in the harpooner's sights. Next year 40 more fin whales will be added along with 50 humpback whales," it said. Both fin whales and humpback whales are recognized as endangered species.

My bad though, the humpbacks are scheduled for next year.

Yes too that I have to agree since you have no proof they will hunt humpbacks next year.

We all know that activist groups and individual activists tend to exaggerate a lot just as you did above by implying they will hunt humpbacks.

I could give you tons of examples.

1. PETA says Milk is bad for you, Yet the Medical community says otherwise.

2. Individuals will claim they saw an endangered species just to stop a community center from going up. Case in point New Berlin Community center where one man claimed he saw an endangered snake which held up the completion of the complex for almost five years only to find out that he had lied. Oh and let us not forget the same group connected with that man claimed they saw the same snake in another area where a development was scheduled to be erected and once again the state DNR wastes several hundred thousand dollars only to find out the claim was false again.

3. Then you have the so called finds of a variety of the spotted Owl which was also wrong in Arizona and New Mexico by activist groups that did not want developments in the desert.

As I said I could go on and on with many examples all which turned out to be false, but that is for a whole new thread

Again I will say, I am against the taking of endangered species that is wrong. But we have to keep in mind Green Peace is no different then the examples given above they like the above groups tend to exagerate as was proven in the Makah Nation Grey Whale huntiing several years ago. They claimed the greys were on the endangered list when in fact they had been removed.

Also keep in mind the oceans of the world are huge and no one knows for certain exactly how many of each species are indeed in the oceans, all they are doing is making estimates and many of those estimates have been proven wrong time and time again. I rest my case.

[edit on 11/20/2005 by shots]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join