It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does this fuel saving device seem legitimate?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I was watching a car show on tv a couple of months ago. They tried out about every fuel saving gadget there was. None of them worked, and some were even dangerous.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Accrding to the EPA no system exists which will even improve fuel consumption by 2%.
I agree with the EPA, and would add that many of the items sold on the net are just plain ridiculous!You cannot just defy the laws of chemistry and science.
I have been in the Automotive engineering field for 45 years, and 2 thing are obvious to me.
1. Any fuel inventions must work in all current ICE's
2. This fuel must work in early model and new cars with little modification.

There is one only way that I can think of to get a huge reduction in fuel consumption, free and without environmental cost.

Teach people how to drive economically, and save 20% or even more immediately.
The problem is we are not in the right condition to do so, as the condition we are in is the human condition, and that is the hardest condition of all.
In 30 odd years of engine developement my friends and I have seen the race for bhp instead of economy.

We need to wake up and see the wastage. Horsepower has meant road deaths and waste. I would rather my 2 litre engine idling in traffic was 1 litre. I go home on a busy road and need about 7 to 10 hp for 90% of the journey. There is enough bull in the paddocks for me. Real tests that are verifiable always allude the snake oil salesmen.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by warpboost

That Sounds like you are trying to apply physics second law of thermodynamics, but you are not!

You are saying that you cannot get more energy out of a chemical reaction than you put into it? HORSEHOCKEY!

How about a chemical battery.
How about explosives.
How about baking soda and vinegar.
How about igniting Phospherous or any of the burning metals.
Gasoline.

The list of chemical reactions which produce more energy than you put into them is huge.

Many of them result in the release of Hydrogen gas just like electrolosis.

No one has publicly proven that they can get more energy out than is put in to produce hydrogen via electrolosis, but some newer methods have come relatively close to 90% There are formulations of chemical additives, Nano structures, Heat, and Pressure. All of which dramatically increase the efficiency. All that is needed is for two or three methods which can raise the efficiency from 60% to 90% to be used together in concert to produce more energy out than is used to initiate the chemical reaction.

Please do not try to apply Physics laws to a chemical reaction. This is nonsense.

It is like saying you cannot get more energy out of a system than you put in. Well, what about windmills and dams sir?

Oh and by the way the second law of thermo dynamics is a joke in physics.

Why hasn't the universe run down like a cheep watch by now if everything it does takes more energy than it puts out?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by warpboost

i seen a video of a 92 f150 that ran just off the hydro-gen and it was no hoax.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
Thanks for the replies guys. I will look into it more, but I doubt I'll get one.

broadband I would like to hear more about your electrolysis engine design idea.

I have often wondered why a large alternator couldn't be used to generate the electricity needed to extract hydrogen from water, and then the hydrogen could be burned in the engine, and the free oxygen atoms could be used as an accelerant thus turning the alternator to keep the process going. Even if you had to have a small petroleum based fuel system to get it all started I would think it would be an improvement over burning straight fosil fuel.

Does anyone know how much energy is needed to extract hydrogen from water? Can someone tell me why that idea would not work? Would more energy be needed for hydrogen extraction than the alternator could produce?
12 volts is plenty enough all you are useing it for is to eletrify the water/ baking soda. i made one and ran my 5 hp lawn mower off it as an experament . tolk a mason jar 2 strand of wire a bolt some metal washer and teflon washers and a battery out of my seadoo hooked the hose from the mason jar straight to the carbarator and was able to cut my yard for a half hour before the battery went dead with no gasoline at all.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83
I was watching a car show on tv a couple of months ago. They tried out about every fuel saving gadget there was. None of them worked, and some were even dangerous.
i believe that show you are refering to is mythbusters they are paided to discredit these ideas to not give people hope of alternative fuels. there are patents on carberators from the 40's and50's that with small modfications were able to get 100 plus miles per gal. these were on v8's not 4bangers.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
There are several people in Texas that have converted Toyota Prius by adding extra batteries on the cheap-there is one shown on you tube that got 190mpg,averaged 110mpg.If these guys can do this practically in their back yards what can the big guys do with this?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Considering the huge savings in oil, I imagine use of hybrids mods would be greatly discouraged.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join