It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: djohnsto77's Vision for ATSNN

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

As a member-driven news portal, ATSNN has provided ATS members with breaking news, top stories from around the world, as well as exclusive reports and interviews important to our own membership to be discussed in an open forum. Each of these components is very important to the value ATSNN provides to its members. In the future, I’d like to see more exclusive ATSNN content appear, and we should provide special incentives to members who provide it. Of course, we shouldn’t detract from mainstream stories that make up the bulk of ATSNN submissions today – although they may be widely available on many news sites, the vast majority of those sites don’t allow the type of valuable community discussion, dissection, and analysis we can provide. We also need to work on the upgrade process, since some good articles go by the wayside, never being upgraded and properly published on ATSNN. Hopefully, our most prolific experts will be given the power to upgrade such articles as soon as they see them.

Those are some of my personal ideas, but the most important job of ATSNN councilor is to listen to you and glean your ideas for making our news portal better and present them in the form of proposals to the staff, administration, and owners. Another task is to help new members out with the dizzying array of site features, and being a member advocate in staff discussions. I have a proven record of doing this well as a former council assistant for Hellmutt on the X Council.

I’m sure ATSNN will be in good hands whomever wins this runoff election, but I’m hoping that you’ll all review my ATSNN posting history, my record as Council Assistant, and my enthusiasm for making ATSNN the best it can possibly be and determine that I’m the best candidate for the job.

Together, we can all deny both bias and ignorance.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
DJ (Forgive my familiarity),

You and I, often as not, find ourselves at gentlemanly, and mild cross-purposes. I do, however enjoy the way you post, and handle yourself. Therefore, you have my vote.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I’d like to see more exclusive ATSNN content appear, and we should provide special incentives to members who provide it.

Now THAT is an excellent reason for someone to vote for you
Isn't there already exclusive content, like our interviews with politicans, etc? or is this going to be something completely different?

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Now THAT is an excellent reason for someone to vote for you
Isn't there already exclusive content, like our interviews with politicans, etc? or is this going to be something completely different?

I mean all exclusive content, whether it be interviews, reports, or some type of new submission we haven't even thought of yet.

By incentives, there are of course point bonuses that could be arranged, but I'm hoping for something more substantial like a free ATSNN-branded T-shirt from the store for truly exceptional exclusive member-provided content. Of course, I can't promise this on my own, the site owners would have to agree to that.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
By incentives, there are of course point bonuses that could be arranged, but I'm hoping for something more substantial like a free ATSNN-branded T-shirt from the store for truly exceptional exclusive member-provided content. Of course, I can't promise this on my own, the site owners would have to agree to that.

incentives are great idea and i like the one of the free t-shirt concept
a very good idea
point bonuse is a good idea, but the free t-shirt is much better and will encourage members aswell

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
No offence, but to me this is working around what Skeptic asked you to do and to answer to cover your own ass.

What do you think needs to be changed about ATSNN to get it more views and to make it a much larger news portal?

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
It would seem that I have a complication with the matter at hand.

Who to vote for....who to vote for...hmmmm?

You both have made this a very tough determination by being such great candidates!

Now I only hope I don't have a hanging CHAD...thats not good for anyone!

- One Man Short

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
No offence, but to me this is working around what Skeptic asked you to do and to answer to cover your own ass.

Thanks Odium, I love you too

How is this covering my ass? My main point was meant to fulfill the council's mission as so eloquently stated by theRiverGoddess representing the last council:

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

The ATS council exists for you. Our mission is to listen to the needs of all members, young and old alike, and to be your voice. Not only will the council work to solve problems, but we will also work to create new incentives to promote heightened member enjoyment. Each council member has been elected to represent a specific area of the board to make it easier for you to make us aware of problems, ideas and thoughts you may have. We welcome all member input. In the spirit of denying ignorance, help us learn what you want so that we can make ATS a better place for all.

As a member-elected body, it is the ATS council's goal to make this site a more friendly community, encouraging respect and collaboration among all, in our common pursuit of truth. Working together, we all DENY IGNORANCE!

If you want to attack me for trying to implement the Council's mission, then so be it.

What do you think needs to be changed about ATSNN to get it more views and to make it a much larger news portal?

I think it's quite clear from my post, nothing really needs to be fundamentally changed, maybe just some tweaking of the upgrade process as well more added exclusive content. Of course, as the above mission statement says, I'll always be open to member suggestions for change.

[edit on 11/17/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Hopefully, our most prolific experts will be given the power to upgrade such articles as soon as they see them.

Now there's a good thought.

In my opinon, there are many submissions which are newsworthy, with good source and content, however the title, intro and/or analysis is mediocre at best.

If experts were given the ability to assist members during the submission/voting process it would reduce the number of redundant submissions for the same story.

[assisted submittal] ???

I, personally, feel the vote up/down options are not as inclusive as necessary. If one were able to vote, with a comment to the member submitting the article, the number of submittals voted up would increase and with more credibility.

Just my $ .02 ...

Peace2All

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
12m8keall2c just provided an excellent member-provided idea on how to improve ATSNN.

In my opinon, there are many submissions which are newsworthy, with good source and content, however the title, intro and/or analysis is mediocre at best.

If experts were given the ability to assist members during the submission/voting process it would reduce the number of redundant submissions for the same story.

I agree! But, as with everything, this idea would have to be weighed against the time required in order to implement it. Plus, there are apparently issues against having an editor-based system, due to copyright and legal issues. This would certainly have to be something heavily discussed with the council and owners.

I, personally, feel the vote up/down options are not as inclusive as necessary. If one were able to vote, with a comment to the member submitting the article, the number of submittals voted up would increase and with more credibility.

Great idea! People should be able to get more feedback from votes. I think this is a sore point in our current voting system, submitters only get generic negative feedback with no nuance, and never get notified of positive votes. This may be a reason that fewer people seem to be submitting ATSNN articles. Fixing this problem could help by providing better guidance to ATSNN contributers and cutting back on the frustration caused by never getting any positive reinforcement.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess

The ATS council exists for you. Our mission is to listen to the needs of all members, young and old alike, and to be your voice. Not only will the council work to solve problems, but we will also work to create new incentives to promote heightened member enjoyment. Each council member has been elected to represent a specific area of the board to make it easier for you to make us aware of problems, ideas and thoughts you may have. We welcome all member input. In the spirit of denying ignorance, help us learn what you want so that we can make ATS a better place for all.

As a member-elected body, it is the ATS council's goal to make this site a more friendly community, encouraging respect and collaboration among all, in our common pursuit of truth. Working together, we all DENY IGNORANCE!

What is your incentive?

If I am going to be working along side you I'd like to know what you wish to bring to ATSNN?

If you do not think anything needs to be changed and you can't see any flaws is their a reason to even having an ATSNN council position? If there are problems what are they?

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

by Odium:

Odium makes a valid point.

The core purpose of an ATSNN Councilor is to propagate and proliferate the exposure and credibility of ATSNN as a source for up-to-date breaking [real] news.

T-shirts for articles [aside from a monthly, maybe]

Points for posts, points for successful credible submissions, points based upon the responses generated by your submission; is that not what ATS is based upon?

As long as contribution requires material reward ... there will be no true change nor advance.

[edit on 11/17/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
The core purpose of an ATSNN Councilor is to propagate and proliferate the exposure and credibility of ATSNN as a source for up-to-date breaking [real] news.

Councilors are just supposed to represent the interests of the membership with respect to their area of Councilory, er their councilorship, er, their councilorishness....whatever. They're supposed to provide vital input to Administration so that Administration can execute the memberships suggestions.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   

What is your incentive?

The incentive to make ATSNN a more relevant and excellent news portal.

If I am going to be working along side you I'd like to know what you wish to bring to ATSNN?

How many times to I have to repeat myself?

If you do not think anything needs to be changed and you can't see any flaws is their a reason to even having an ATSNN council position? If there are problems what are they?

I said there needs to be no fundamental change. The voting/upgrade process can be tweaked, plus I'd like to see more ATSNN exclusive content. But the basic ATSNN idea is a great one, and I personally see no need for drastic changes. But again, I'll state that I'll always be open to ideas from the membership if elected councilor.

[edit on 11/17/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   

by Nygdan:
Councilors are just supposed to represent the interests of the membership with respect to their area of Councilory, er their councilorship, er, their councilorishness....whatever. They're supposed to provide vital input to Administration so that Administration can execute the memberships suggestions.

Thank you, Understood.

Should this not be the core purpose and focus of ATSNN as a whole?

... to propagate and proliferate the exposure and credibility of ATSNN as a global source for up-to-date breaking [real] news.

Owners, staff, mods, councilors, members, community ...

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
1, Do you feel that you fully addressed the requirements in your submission?

Yes.

2, Do you feel you have put the effort into this campaign to be elected councillor for ATSNN?

Yes, I have. I've answered all questions posed to me fully, as well as fulfilling all requirements needed for running put forward by the staff/owners. I've also expressed my opinions as clearly and succinctly as I could, trying to keep any fluff to a minimum.

3, Why should members vote for you as opposed to me in this election?

I've already stated my positions, it's up to the members to decide who will best represent them.

4, How do you feel your strong political stance will affect ATSNN?

My political stance would not affect my actions as an ATSNN Councilor. It would affect my choice of stories to author on my own and the content of my replies to other posts, just as it would any other member's.

How will yours?

5, Will you be a more consistent presence on ATSNN if you are elected to council?

I'm already on here practically during all of my waking hours, I don't see how I could increase that!

My PTS election thread is here: Vote djohnsto77 for ATSNN Councilor

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet

4, How do you feel your strong political stance will affect ATSNN?

Originally posted by djohnsto77
My political stance would not affect my actions as an ATSNN Councilor. It would affect my choice of stories to author on my own and the content of my replies to other posts, just as it would any other member's.

So wait...

You won't post a story because it 'harms' your political stance? Shows your political party in a bad light?

Shouldn't you hold no bias and publish a story if it is within the best interests of ATSNN as a whole and not your political alligance?

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

So wait...

You won't post a story because it 'harms' your political stance? Shows your political party in a bad light?

No I didn't say that. But of course my political views can certainly influence what I find to be interesting enough to publish.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Dj,

Should this not be the core purpose and focus of ATSNN as a whole?

... to propagate and proliferate the exposure and credibility of ATSNN as a global source for up-to-date breaking [real] news.

Owners, staff, mods, councilors, members, community ...

Agree/Disagree?!

While I realize this is the overall stance to some extent ... what would your recommendations be?

Mayet ... same request!?

Move along ... move along ... nothing here

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I hardly think that dj’s political stance will be an issue. He and I agree on pretty well nothing and he was always more than willing to help me out when he was an assistant. He is capable of seeing opposing viewpoints if they are presented in a manner that is not insulting, offensive or condescending.

If you want dj to hear your ideas, by all means u2u him. That’s what I have done, on several occasions, and he has never let me down. Did anyone else on this thread u2u dj with their thoughts on ATSNN when he was asked to write this article? I did, and guess what? One of my biggest complaints is presented here.

djohnsto77, the candidate who listens to the crazy, lefty, pinko Canuck.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join