It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: djohnsto77's Vision for ATSNN

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Very well said, djohnsto77.
Again, I wish you the very best in the upcoming ATSNN run-off.
I have faith in both you and Mayet that ATSNN will continue to function and flourish.

You go get'em, DJ.

seekerof

[edit on 17-11-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
Agree/Disagree?!

Somewhat agree

Yes, ATSNN should be a place where all ATS members can learn of breaking mainstream "real" news. But that's up to the members, and we already have a good system in place where ATS contributors/experts can provide such stories and, more importantly, a place where our community can discuss them. Of course, if elected Councilor I'll still be a member and still be doing my best to contribute such news stories.

But the requirement here was to focus on the future and how to make ATSNN better. My main idea was to provide more exclusive stories, thus making ATSNN a locus of new content not available anywhere else. Breaking news sites are a dime a dozen, but our unique mixture of news, opinion, and discussion is a rarity. Add to this more totally exclusive stories, and we'll be impossible to beat!

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

by Dj:
Add to this more totally exclusive stories, and we'll be impossible to beat.

Xactly

True innovation secures success.

[edit on 11/17/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Also just so everyone is aware the Run Off Poll is Open.

Yep, everyone please vote for one of us here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I think some form of remuneration would elicit high quality and exclusive stories and or reports for ATS. By remuneration I mean some sort of consideration, ATS points, a T-shirt, free membership - something. After all, an investigative journalist's stock in trade are the words they write, the time and effort put into fact verification, and high-integrity source development. This does not take in to account the out of pocket expences incurred.

I've seen many parts of material I've written appear here during discussions germane to proving one side's point or another's. That is fine, I was paid for it and fair use says it can be posted.

Get paid money? No. Just some consideration for turning down money elsewhere to afford ATS exclusive story rights.

This, of course, is a call that Simon needs to make.

Spelling edit. I've got to stop typing with a frying pan.

[edit on 17-11-2005 by FEMA]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
How about we stop talking about who is posting in whose thread and get back to the topic at hand, k?

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

Isn't ATS grand?

*BUMP*

Oh hey, look!
dj´s thread got almost 1,000 views already....

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Riwka, do you think it fair to continue sidetracking the discussion? I've already asked once that the topic be djohnsto77's op/ed... not a discussion of the discussion within the discussion.

Please keep it on topic.

[edit on 17-11-2005 by parrhesia]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrhesia
Please keep it on topic.

[edit on 17-11-2005 by parrhesia]

Done and done.

I do not think I have any more questions for either of the two of them.

Best of luck guys and dolls.

I will look forward to working with one of you. :-)

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I did it ...I did it...I voted!

Just thought everyone would like to know this!

- One Man Short

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Thanks for all your hard work shots!

Does any one know when the runoff election will close?

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I've never personally witnessed an expert's submission overtake and replace a previous contributor's submission. Our experts are generally quite aware of what's going on in ATSNN and in the rare case of when they may inadvertently post a duplicate submission, they quickly it withdraw themselves.

So I really see no real problem here. If anyone has experienced this, please let me know.

[Admin removal of off topic content in a quote]

[edit on 11/17/2005 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 11-18-2005 by Springer]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
subz, shots is his own man and I've never asked him to do anything for me, let alone attack people. Due to his artful creation of political ads though, he does deserve the title of "campaign manager."

As far as the original question -- what's the point? Are ATSNN Experts who earned their titles due their excellent track record of great submissions supposed to sit around and wait for others to submit a news item? No, our purpose is to be a news portal and get quality news articles to our members as soon as possible.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I simply don't buy into the notion that increased posting activity from ATSNN experts equates to decreased postings from contributors. Maybe it's a difference in our ideologies, but I think the opposite. Whereas you seem to believe "if you tear it down, they'll come to rebuild it" I believe "If you build it, they will come," meaning the better we make ATSNN, the more people will want to become a part of it and contribute in any way they can.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
First, I'd like to apologize for creating such a little drama within the thread. All I wanted was for us to keep on the topic of dj's OP/ED. I never intended for my post to shift the conversation so much.

In an effort to get things back on track I'd like to try to address what appears to be some concern that dj may not be willing to listen to and help members who do not share his political views. Let me assure you that this is not the case. I'd like to share with you how dj treated me during my ATS time of need.

One day I got the u2u we all dread, the one telling you your thread has been trashed. I had put a lot of work into this thread and was a little miffed that it had disappeared during the night. There came a time when I posted a politely worded request to have the decision reviewed and perhaps revisited via the handy gripe/idea button that the owners of this site have kindly provided us with. Then I waited.

Within a half-hour of submitting my request, I got a u2u from dj. All of our councilors and their assistants were given the ability to view the Complaints forum and he had seen my post. He was familiar with the thread in question and wanted to know if he could help. I spilled my sob story to him and he told me that he thought that my thread should be re-instated. After warning me that he didn't really have any pull, he told me would make a post in my Complaint thread saying that he didn't see anything wrong with my thread and that it should be put back. Then he u2u'ed me again to let me know he had made the post.

During the entire three days I waited for a decision dj was there for me every step of the way. I would log onto ATS in the morning and there would be a u2u letting me know that he wasn't going to drop the topic and was going to be making another post to bump my complaint. I would get frustrated with how long it was taking and dj was there to reassure me that he wouldn't let them forget about me. He kept me from going insane.

To some this may not seem like all that much but I this shows that dj is more than capable and willing to help a member, no matter what their beliefs. And as for him being unapproachable, that's just not true. In my case it didn't matter if I thought he was approachable or not, he u2u'ed me. Is that the behaviour of someone who is not willing?

I first met dj on a thread related to the War on Terror. It would be safe to say that we disagree on many topics and we have very different ideological viewpoints. While he may come across a certain way in his posts, I can honestly say that I truly like him. He is a great person if you take the time to get to know him.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Experts are taking the majority of the top stories, IMHO and we are leaving very very little for the non-experts to post about. I dont find this is in ATSNN's best interest as the news is only being reported by a very few people. If being termed an expert and having 2 instant upgrades is not enough .

I think that's more indicative of Experts being more interested and attuned to the news. There have been a plethora of stories I reported on hours and hours after they were published, but still nothing on ATSNN. My finally publishing it on ATSNN seemingly didn't harbor any aspiring ATSNN reporter. I do hope to expand our base, but not to any detriment to our current experts.

Admin edit to remove off topic content

[edit on 11-18-2005 by Springer]

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I no longer have an alert button. Perhaps you do, but I certainly don't.

Anyway, while shots may be a bit too enthusiastic about my candidacy, I still haven't seen any evidence of a blatent T&C violation by him in any communication I was privy to.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   

44 entries
21 from experts
8 from aspiring contributers
14 still in submission stage

21 + 8 + 14 = 43

But that's beside the point.

I've had multiple submissions that pre-dated, and imho, were of better quality than identical submissions from "more established" ATSNN contributors. Pissed me off a bit -- I think the concern about "experts" running ATSNN has some merit. The counterpoint that time is of the essence and that ATSNN shouldn't just sit around and wait for people to submit stories that are timely and important.
A suggestion: is it possible to merge stories that are repeats? Or give "co-author" status to non-experts who post stories that are repeated by veterans?

BTW, all this sniping going back and forth between djohnsto77, his supporters and his detractors is just plain silly.

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I voted for DJ due to the fact that his statement met the limitation of "1200 words or less" and was a good, quick read. From the other candidates posted statement I could only read so far before my boredom bell screamed an agonizing rip through my poor tortured brain from all the "fluff". Quite an apt word that ... "fluff".

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Councilors have limited, though significant, power. I have to admit that this is a close call for me, but I think "DJ" is a solid, well-grounded individual who will seek to make ATSNN the best it can be.

I would also like to say to whomever wins that I would like to see ATSNN put as much emphasis on form as it does to content. Both are essential and many will not bother to entertain ideas that are not effectively expressed in a format that is easily accessed.

[edit on 2005/11/17 by GradyPhilpott]

<< 1    3 >>

join