It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Male fish with eggs in sewage off California coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Male fish with eggs in sewage off California coast

Researchers have found male fish with eggs in their testes and female sex traits off the coast of Southern California and believe that chemicals in sewage may be the cause, an author of two studies said on Monday.

The two reports found the changes in fish such as English sole and California halibut, both of which are bottom dwellers, in water near where sewage is released, said Dan Schlenk, an environmental scientist at the University of California, Riverside.

High levels of estrogen, both natural and man-made formulations used in birth control pills, are thought to cause such abnormalities in fish. Estrogen makes its way into sewage water and then the ocean through women's excretions.

Compounds that act like estrogen, found in certain industrial chemicals, have also been blamed for such changes.

But in this instance, Schlenk said higher levels of the egg protein were found in male fish in areas with lower levels of estrogen and estrogen-like chemicals in the sediment. The cause of the female characteristics, therefore, could be unknown chemicals in the sediment, he said.

"We might have other players in this game," Schlenk said in an interview on Monday. "We would guess they are primarily coming from waste water."

Is there nothing we leave undisturbed or unaffected? I have read other articles speculating the culprit to be suntan lotion.

*shakes head*

If this is happening to the fish, what might be happening to us on a cumulative basis?

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

If this is happening to the fish, what might be happening to us on a cumulative basis?

A lot, loam. But I don't think you really want to hear what I think is happening to us.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
A lot, loam. But I don't think you really want to hear what I think is happening to us.

Evolution? Yes, yes, but ya know, Soficrow, some evolutionary trails are a dead end, and we appear to be choosing that path.

(BTW, I always love hearing what you think, you know that.
)

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Evolution? Yes, yes, but ya know, Soficrow, some evolutionary trails are a dead end, and we appear to be choosing that path.

uh huh. Y'know, I developed the Pollyanna Hypothesis as a positive alternative to the more obvious but depressing conclusion you are proposing. Moreover, I have the research to support it.

(BTW, I always love hearing what you think, you know that.
)

Yeah. And I you.

I do a lot of research on the molecular basis of disease. So I know. We are against a wall, facing extinction. And I need that Pollyanna Hypothesis. But it isn't totally without merit. Nor does it imply we can or should continue our evil polluting ways. Just says there is hope, and all is not already absolutely lost...

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Damn, I guess that makes it official.

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!

Eggs in the testes? Geeze! That sounds quite confused.

Zip

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zipdot

Eggs in the testes? Geeze! That sounds quite confused.

Life ALWAYS finds a way.

Not necessarily the way we know, or one we like, but life finds a way.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I did not realize until last week that all of Ca's sewage goes into the ocean??
Thay were talking about recycling it, but then came the protestors what. "we drink sewage??"

Nopers just kill the Pacific....

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Most places do dump it into the ocean without a care

and the bad thing is that its recyclable makes great fertalizer

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
Most places do dump it into the ocean without a care

and the bad thing is that its recyclable makes great fertalizer

Living inland, I have never thought of this..HOW can the oceans survive?

posted on Nov, 17 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by siriuslyone
HOW can the oceans survive?

It appears they are not.

new topics

top topics

join