It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drone to fly

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
www.drudgereport.com...

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX SUN NOV 13 2005 19:44:23 ET XXXXX

DRONES 'TO FLY OVER CITIES'

HONEYWELL is developing a micro flying spy drone -- that would be used for civilian law enforcement!

The device, a hovering robot carrying video cameras and other sensors, is being created and tested at HONEYWELL's Albuquerque, NM plant.

The first round of testing on the drone [MICRO AIR VEHICLE] has been completed, reports Bob Martin of CBS affiliate KRQE.

The battery powered craft can stay in the air for 50-60 minutes at a time, and moves around at up to 55 kilometers an hour.

The Micro Air Vehicle has flown more than 200 successful flights, including flying in a representative urban environment.

"If there is an emergency, you could provide "eyes" on whatever the emergency is, for police or Homeland Security," explains Vaughn Fulton of HONEYWELL.

Drones have been given to the military to test during training exercises.

"It has the same system most fighter jets would have," explains Fulton.

The vehicle will be used for reconnaissance, security and target acquisition operations in open, rolling, complex and urban terrain; it will be equipped with Global Positioning Satellite.

HONEYWELL and government officials are meeting to discuss the status of the project.

Troops in Iraq could get the craft in a year or two.

The spy drone would be deployed for domestic use shortly thereafter.

Developing...

I don't know what to think of this. Spy drones used in America to spy on citizens doesn't fly with me. What are your thoughts on this?

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
- I think you missed its purpose.

It would be used by agencies like Homeland security and the Police, as well as what ever company has a need for it. Not to fly over cities, but to take on certian tasks like: weather monitering, like eye in the sky wiew of a fire // and the police would have several different tasks that it could tackle.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Bridge and Building inspectors will love this UAV.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I wonder if the police will use it to search people's property without a warrant since they won't actually be "on" the property, but hovering above it

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
I wonder if the police will use it to search people's property without a warrant since they won't actually be "on" the property, but hovering above it

- A normal police helicopter can look around...with you not the wiser.

Its not like its going to fly into your home or anything.

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I know a helicopter can do the same, but it is much bigger, louder and more noticeable not to mention expensive. For the police to justify getting the helo out I would think they need a pretty good reason, but with cheap drones that are cheap and easy to operate they can just take a quick look to make sure. I just wonder how they will be used by police?

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost
I just wonder how they will be used by police?

yeah...hopefully they use them repectfully.

like...say a fugitive is hiding somewhere in a big field at night after he evaded you...you could just pop the trunk and take the UAV out and switch it to IR and easily find him by his body heat. thats how I would hope there used...and/or for a building on fire...that sorta thing.....cause if I saw one hovering over my house...ya might as well paint it yellow or orange and call it a clay pigeon.

[edit on 15-11-2005 by Murcielago]

top topics

join