It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Australian MP's Push For 'God' To Be Included In National Anthem

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I'm sure that our national anthem will change to "Waltzing Matilda" before it ever changes to include a reference to god. Didn't "Advance Australia Fair" only become the official anthem in the early 1980's anyway?

Not much of a fan of it myself...

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 08:49 AM
link   
We need a new national anthem because frankly our current one is dead boring
We need one that we can actually sing to not drone and mumble
as much as i would like Waltzing Matilda as our anthem i doubt it would ever happen

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
How about

"We will Rock You" by Queen?

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Having never read the words to the Oz national anthem before, I am quite surprised by the British references throughout. I personally think that all the brit refs should be dumped, not adding stuff about God too.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
the references to the UK in australias anthem reflect her past - IMHO when the fedaralist movement wins a refurendum to sanction the creation of a republic of australia with an elected US style president as head of state etc , then it might be proper to re write the anthem to ommit references to brittain

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by obiwan15
We need a new national anthem because frankly our current one is dead boring
We need one that we can actually sing to not drone and mumble
as much as i would like Waltzing Matilda as our anthem i doubt it would ever happen

Waltzing Matilda has always been our 'unoffical' anthem.. most people have to drag themselves up to sing the boring one.. and it's usually only sung at footy games so I don't know why they don't get rid of it. Yeah Waltzing is about a guy who steals a sheep.. but Australia was settled by convicts! [not missionaries..] Our heritage should be embraced.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
What I was meaning to say is that it's probably more likely to become "Waltzing Matilda" than a changed "Advance Australia Fair".

Personally I'd like "Land Down Under" by Men at Work!

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiddly54
is it even allowed to happen? australia is a secular government, so wouldnt it be illegal?

i am against it

Depends how you argue it.

The constitution guarantees among three things, the right to religion(it doesnt say which religion) and the right to free trade between states.

So, a reference to God would be perfectly constitutionally legal if it somehow made it clear that it a was a non-religiously specific God who may or may not exist as the deity of your choice, while at the smae time respecting your choice not to believe.

Typical bloody Liberals. Is this guy a refugee from One Nation?

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by 4for4
What I was meaning to say is that it's probably more likely to become "Waltzing Matilda" than a changed "Advance Australia Fair".

Personally I'd like "Land Down Under" by Men at Work!

Too proletariat. And the singer was a Scot anyway. I say "Great Southern Land" by Icehouse.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
How about God Save The Star Spangled Banner? Australia has poached aspects from both the United Kingdom and United States. We can change our nation's name to the United States of Australia and Howard can entrench Australia firmly in the belligerent Western moral majority police states for all time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join