It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: U.S. Threatens to Sue University for Reverse Discrimination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
The U.S. Justice Department has sent Southern Illinois University a letter stating their intent to sue under the Federal Civil Rights Act for three school programs designed for minorities and women unless the programs are discontinued. The school chancellor says he supports the programs, but will be meeting with the DOJ to discuss their concerns. The DOJ claims to be acting in response to a recent Supreme Court ruling that said race could be used as a factor in admissions, but not the only factor, and that "[a]ny special program that is limited to only members of a particular group or several racial groups is highly suspect.''

www.suntimes.com
President Bush's administration has threatened to sue Southern Illinois University, alleging its fellowship programs for minority and female students violate federal civil rights laws by discriminating against whites, men and others.

In a move Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) said "just doesn't make sense," the U.S. Justice Department charged that three SIU programs that aim to increase minority enrollment in graduate school exclude whites, other minorities and males, in violation of Title VII of the federal Civil Rights Act.

"The University has engaged in a pattern or practice of intentional discrimination against whites, non-preferred minorities and males,'' says a Justice Department letter sent to the university last week and obtained by the Chicago Sun-Times.

The letter demands the university cease the fellowship programs, or the department's civil rights division will sue SIU by Nov. 18.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think the government is right here. Having special admissions and scholarship programs open only to people with a certain race or sex is wrong.

[edit on 11/12/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I agree with president Bush on this one.

Something fair and that makes sense.

Equal opportunities for all.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Bravo for Dubya..
It is about 20 years late in coming, but here's hoping it works!!

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 08:27 PM
link   
While I reflexively tend to question Bush's handlers' motives and am naturally suspicious of their agenda, I certainly applaud this.

Racial and sexual discrimination is supposed to be illegal. Nowhere does the law state that only discrimination against "minorities" is illegal, but rather that ALL discrimination based solely on race or gender is illegal. It's about time that that was actually enforced.

Racial and sexual discrimination of ANY form for ANY reason exacerbates the issue. It's about time that it was stopped.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I worked in the education business for years at the college level, yes, it's a business, and yes, the education establishment has actively discriminated against caucasian males for years, seems they feel that "the man" has it coming.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Good!

Im sick of this crap. Its about time someone "officially" did something. Id like to see what would happen if colleges provided special programs...actually if they provided ANYTHING specifically for white males. Theyd burn the place down...itd be a national news story.

I want equality! Im not racist or sexist in any way, Im just SICK and TIRED of the hypocricy. There shouldnt even be any kind of grants/programs/whatever that are limited to one specific race/sex/preference. All it does is encourage division.

We're all people, all made of the same thing. Everyone's crap stinks. We're all equal.

Now if only society would realize that...

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 02:58 AM
link   
This is what i like to hear, im all for equality, if its truly eqaulity for all and not just some...

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
why call it reverse discrimination , discrimination is discrimination.

[edit on C:Sunocu11e11 by Opus]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
For once I have something to applaud the Bush Admin for...

Oh my God.....

Someone get a screenshot!

Discrimination is exactly that, no matter who is doing it or for whatever reason. Just because "white" (I am more of a pinkish hue) guys in the past were gits, doesn't mean that todays white male has to placed below everyone else to "balance" the books. Nature itself will see to that and those that are good enough will improve their lot, regardless of colour.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Opus
why call it reverse discrimination , discrimination is discrimination.

Discrimination is commonly thought of as the white man stepping on a minority.
Reverse discrimination is when the minority steps on the white man.

Turns out even the word discrimination is discriminatory.

[edit on 13-11-2005 by mrjones]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I consider myself of the "American" race and check "Other" when asked.

define:race
A race is a distinct population of humans distinguished in some way from other humans (this was 1 of many listings and fit my point best)

My ancestors were of all nationalities, races, and sizes.
There is no classification that fits me better than "American"

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I'm with the rest of you. Tho it pains me greatly to applaud Bush and I do question his motives (but that's nothing new) I must say I'm really kind of sick of discrimination all around.

Yeah, Reverse Schmeverse.
Discrimination by any color is discrimination.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
i never thought i'd say this.my toes are getting cold, hell must've frozen over....that explains it....go dubya. ooowww, that really hurt to say. i have been angry about what they refer to as "reverse discrimination" ever since i got passed over for a promotion because the board thought they needed more visible minorities in upper management.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
wow.. same reaction here..

sometimes i guess the govt. can do the right thing.

when will the rest learn that equal rights should never equate out to special rights

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I wish more officials would take this stance. I've always known it by the term "Positive Discrimination", but it amounts to the same thing. Three cheers for equality

top topics

join