It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of Ungodly bug is this?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 05:00 AM
link   
The irony is that they have been on this planet a lot longer than us. I don't go much on some insects;however, I found that by giving them enough room they leave me alone.

I don't have any trouble with ants and little trouble with flies. I give them respect and they don't bother me very little, if at all.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I'd give these bugs all the room they want... outside. It's when I find them crawling across my keyboard and giving me the finger that I get a little antsy. Especially a bug like this that is so alien to most people's common knowledge of insects. There are poisonous bugs out there and at first glance this creature certainly looks like a good candidate for that (however they are not poisonous). Sometimes it's very easy for respect for mother nature to be overridden by the "creepy factor", especially when you have no idea what the really really fast, creepy thing is capable of.

I found a free video hosting site for the videos I mentioned in my previous post. Hopefully it's sufficient.

Apparently their evil is thwarted by square glass bowls...

The Funeral

posted on Nov, 27 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
A little more info here:

The house centipede, Scutigera coleoptrata, has (when fully grown) 15 pairs of very long, delicate legs and a rigid body, which enables it to run up walls and along ceilings and floors. They have as few as four pairs of legs when hatched, but gain a new pair with each molting. They live anywhere from three to seven years, depending...

...by injecting venom through their poison fangs and then feasting on the dead prey. For this reason, house centipedes are considered among the most beneficial creatures that inhabit human dwellings

The full info here

Funny how what we seem to fear the most ends up being the most beneficial for us.

I now harbour guilt for flushing it

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vis Mega
I just found out that the buildings I USE to live in.. just moved out of are now suffering a SERIOUS cockroach infestation. And that is very unusual for this part of the country.

i think youre cursed or something

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by skychief
They are called House Centipedes. They have to be one of the ugliest bugs around and damn quick as well. They seem to like any areas where it is damp and boxes and such are stored on the floor as it provides a place for shelter.

www.ipm.iastate.edu...

[edit on 12-11-2005 by skychief]

In this case these are called silver fish.

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Silverfish Lepisma saccharina

House Centipede Scutigera coleoptrata
(affectionately called "Scutis" and man can they scoot!)

[edit on 28-11-2005 by DrussRob]

posted on Nov, 28 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Thanks to you people and several diet cokes, I'm looking all around the room, ceiling to floor, brushing my arms, and flipping out completely when I move enough for my shirt tag to catch me off guard.

I am completley freaked out, and I am no closer to learning the truth about aliens. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
A friend of mine had a room in his basement. He woke up one night with one of these curled in the outside crease of his ear. It's small red centipede probably only 1 inch long or less. True story. Did he ever freak out! LOL!

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Oh ya, centipedes are creepy. in fact, they creep me out more than spiders, turantulas, snakes, and even more than shadow creatures (I've seen them on 3 different occasions). I go nuts when I see one in my house, I can't stand them!
I don't mind having spiders and some other insects/insectoids living in my house but centepedes, ants, and those biting lady bug beetles are not welcome. (The ants and lady bugs are very annoying).
Well, centipedes are one of the few things that scare me, they're just too hideous and creepy. I don't blame the dude who started this thread for thinking they were 'unholy' creatures.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Just so everybody knows, it IS the house centipede. I know what silverfish are and this wasn't one of them! Funny, cuz a few years ago, we had a crack in the concrete slab the house sits on, and in the fall, all these damn crickets would show up with their bastardly chirping ways...ALL NIGHT. Cricky! Cricky! Crick-a-crick-a-criky!! I would grab my old combat boots from the top cuff, just so I could get extra leverage in the impact when I swung! God it felt good to kill those jerks at 3 AM.

posted on Dec, 6 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Kinda pathetic that you enjoy killing them

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrototypeGamma
God it felt good to kill those jerks at 3 AM.

If you think having crickets piss you off with chirping is bad, imagine having about 20 flies biting you all night long. When I went on vaction to Poland, a bunch of them got into the bedroom I was sleeping in. The next morning I went bounty hunting.

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
As already said, it is a centipede.

But darn, that thing is uglier than an earwig

posted on Dec, 7 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
thank you for the heebie jeebie freak out spazim you gave me with all your lovely pictures

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Kinda pathetic that you enjoy killing them

True it is. But you know what they say, " simple minds are easily amused".
these appear to be some of the simplest so far.

posted on Dec, 8 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Sorry, but I'm not of the simple-minded ilk. I think you can figure that out simply by comparing my grasp on the English language to that of the common blog-troll. (I p'wnZ0r3d teh nOOb cR1ck3Ts !!11!!!)
I just have a very low tolerance for nasty @$$ things invading my personal space. The least they could do is pay rent if they're going to loiter around my joint! And if such payment is not offered, I must evict their little butts from my house...with a combat boot.

[edit on 8-12-2005 by PrototypeGamma]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
It was probably" their place " long before it was yours. another thing to
look at is this.

where we live West Nile virus and mosquitos are a real concern. People use
buglights,sprays , candles etc,etc. my house has ..... spiders, big ones , little
ones ,fat ones, skinny ones all kinds. one thing we did not have this past
summer was mosquitos and very few flies even with goats,sheep, and ostriches.

If the spiders get to over populating i just thin them a bit.

BTW why would you say this creature is "Ungodly"? must be a xian thing .

[edit on 12-12-2005 by stalkingwolf]

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
why isn't this thread dead? it's a millipeed for cryin out loud!

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
While we are on the topic...

can anyone tell me why they call shrimp... sea roaches?
because they are very closely related to the roach..

if only the land cousins tasted as good with coconut batter...
mmmmm

posted on Dec, 12 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I'm no fan of bugs...believe me.

The other night my dog was sick so I left the door open to the backyard, about an hour later I went to shut it and discovered a large scorpion blending in with the similarly colored kitchen floor tile. I didn't have shoes on so I was lucky it caught my eye. Man that sucked...I HATE scorpions.

[edit on 12-12-2005 by kinglizard]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join