It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Whats on TV? Alot More Sex

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Mag, you are seeing TV on the personal level and not on the cultural level.

Sure YOUR kids may have grown up OK despite wqatching copious amounts of the box, but what would they have been like if they hadn't watched any?

What sort of new skills would they have learned, what sort of social behaviours wouldn't they have mimiced, what sort of independant thinking would they have developed, what sort of hobbies, sports, interests persuits would they have tried?

Its a case of what your children have LOST from TV watching.

You can't tell me that kids who grow up in my society aping teens in America are not influenced by TV. they are so subsumed in the culture that TV projects that they don't even recognise their own mimicry.

You also can't tell me that kids who watch TV from a young age are using their free will, when adults use it as a surrogate babysitter. Like any addicting substance they suck it in and want more.

Watching TV is no choice to a 5 year old who has grown up with it, just as smoking would not be a choice to kids who grow up in a society where everyone smoked and smoking was considered normal. They would do it because everyone else did it and to conform to social norms.

Originally posted by marg6043
Now back to the subject.

Can somebody tell me if in anytime in their lives they have been force to sit in front of a TV?
CThe end is that is all but a choice, watching tv is a choice.

[edit on 12-11-2005 by marg6043]

[edit on 12-11-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
So then Netchicken who do you blame because a 5 year old has not choice?

The TV set? society? or the parents? do you blame yourself?
or should I blame myself?

Now tell me what do you consider an appropriate program on TV?

Tell me what should be shown in TV? to children . . . to adults. I am very curious because telling you the true TV is still a choice.

So for anybody that complains that TVs are brainwashing and damaging our youth the people that complain have the choice to turn their TVs off.

Calling TV programing damaging or evil or having to much sex or irresponsible, is just an excuse to what is really happening in our society, we have parents that have children but they have not time to dedicate to them or to make sure that they grow up with a healthy life style.

Its that my fault, your fault or societies fault . . . no. . . we blame TVs and programing because they can not defend themselves.

Now who do we hold responsible for the obesity epidemic on our children? we have TV to blame for promiscuity and sex so how about obesity, drugs and alcohol.

I guess that evil TV is still to blame.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   
100 years ago 8 year old children were raising their brothers and sisters. Girls helped their ma with the housework and boys helped their dad with the heavy chores. Children although being given time to play also had responsibilities. Chores work to teach them about being part of a family, sharing and even valuable skills in child rearing

the age of consent up until 1980 in Great Britain was 13

children are maturing later than they have in the past, they have everything done for them and time to sit back and watch telly all day.they don't go out exploring and learning about nature and decision making. The only thing they decide is what channel to watch or which game to play..

You can have a baby at 12 13 14 and 15 and in some cases the body is ready that early.. but the mind is not. Not the mind of the teen today who hasn't got a clue about life.

Todays child is spoon fed and the diet is TV and cushiness....

[edit on 13-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   

So then Netchicken who do you blame because a 5 year old has not choice?

The TV set? society? or the parents? do you blame yourself?
or should I blame myself?

Now tell me what do you consider an appropriate program on TV?

Tell me what should be shown in TV? to children . . . to adults. I am very curious because telling you the true TV is still a choice.

So for anybody that complains that TVs are brainwashing and damaging our youth the people that complain have the choice to turn their TVs off.

Calling TV programing damaging or evil or having to much sex or irresponsible, is just an excuse to what is really happening in our society, we have parents that have children but they have not time to dedicate to them or to make sure that they grow up with a healthy life style.

Its that my fault, your fault or societies fault . . . no. . . we blame TVs and programing because they can not defend themselves.

Now who do we hold responsible for the obesity epidemic on our children? we have TV to blame for promiscuity and sex so how about obesity, drugs and alcohol.

I guess that evil TV is still to blame.

perhaps, it's do to a complete lack of moral fiber, you know that pesky little thing called 'religion'.

posted on Nov, 13 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Philosophy

perhaps, it's do to a complete lack of moral fiber, you know that pesky little thing called 'religion'.

Hum. . . so we blame now lack of religion for the evils of society and TV? I don't know but have you seen the statistics of divorce on the so call bible belt USA?

Teen pregnancy? actually to tell you the truth it has nothing to do with religion but the degradation of Society due to the fact that people in this time and age do not have time to be with their children and supervise them.

We live in a society that mom or dad have to work two jobs to make end meets.

Single moms and single dads and occurs even together have not time for children anymore.

Children are actually on their own when it comes to their mental needs that only a parent or both can give, because even grand ma and grand pa have to work until old age.

That is what is going on, our society and our way of life is killing families, and it has nothing to do with religion but necessity.

Like Mayet said girls grew up to be in charge of their homes but mom was there all the time to help, boys took responsibilities next to their fathers, now we give everything to our children in a materialistic way to compensate for supervision and companionship.

Our children are not learning the meaning of responsibility, they have to much free time in their hands and only the TVs to supervising them.

So when a parent fail in raising junior or losing their littler girls to drugs and sex it's easier to claim that something else or somebody else is responsible.

Nobody is willing to take the responsibility for any mistakes done by the society we are living in.

That is what is wrong with our families.

posted on Nov, 14 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimstradamus
Well ive learned a great lesson,accept what were provided and never expect better.
[edit on 12-11-2005 by jimstradamus]

I guess you had bad experiences with TV, I have not, so I can not relate to you, neither my children has been affected by it.

So what TV has done to you specifically is something that I may find interesting if you don't mind.

Rasing kids is a parental efford and resposibility and I do not blame the TV for that but the parents themselves.

Nope you guessed wrong,i dont have kids,i dont have family for that matter,maybe thats why i see the bigger picture.From your posts that i can read i have come to the personal OPINION that you cant see past your own family,therefore the bigger picture is invisible and we therefore cant relate.

You dont know me well enough to know that if this was just about something specific for me,i wouldnt waste my time.Im passionate about this because it's a logical first step and if i cant show you the first step the rest of the staircase is pointless.

I agree to a point that parents are responsible for the raising of their kids,you may agree or disagree that there are more bad parents in bad situations,having an increasingly difficult time in an increasingly difficult society.Now i could be selfish and say well i dont have a family so i dont care.On the other hand i could say im an adult and being an adult i could make 1 small sacrifice of something i enjoy and that 1 sacrifrice would make millions of parents jobs easier,would i not be selfish to say no because i have been lead to the conclusion that it doesnt effect me.

If my neighbors kid was starving it would be his parents fault but i dont stick my head in the sand because my belly is full.Regardless of fault the kids still hungry.So you drop a bag of groceries on their porch,knock on the door and run like hell so nobody has to be embareassed.I think it's obvious we have given the selfish way more than a fair try.

This may sound silly but we really do have to come together and treat others like they are our own.Look as hard as we can to see the bigger picture because it all connects.The effort we put into the making of a product will show it's worth when the product is needed.So if your pleased with the product and think we cant make it better or the effort to make it better isnt worth it,put your heads back in the sand and pretend anything that doesnt happen in your own house to your own family isnt actually happening to millions of others.

[edit on 14-11-2005 by jimstradamus]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join