It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obscure Historical Puns for Nerds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
OK, about 1 in 500 people will get or enjoy these. I think that's the funniest part. You know you've met somebody special if they know and are even midly amused by any of the following- unless said individual is over 60 years old.

An memory device for the events of 1915 (I think there are other variations):
The Allies got Hungary, then they fried Turkey in Greece.

An old WWII song:

The kids all laughed at Johnny Zero!
And they would tease him when they'd play
Johnny got a Zero! Johnny got a Zero!
Johnny got a Zero! Today!

He couldn't concentrate on studies
His mind was always in the sky
When he grew up he left his buddies
And Johnny's learnin' how to fly.

Now they still call him Johnny Zero!
And all the pilots proudly say
Johnny got a Zero! He got another Zero!

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
i get it! does that make me smart?

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Well, I've only met two other people besides you and me who get or enjoy those. One is a serious history buff and knows a lot of obscure but relevant stuff- I guess you could call that smart. The other is a Ukranian girl I met online- she didn't tell me she was an exchange student at first but it was fairly obvious because she was well read.

Long story short- yeah, you've got to be somewhat smart- or else nerdy- to know of, understand, or like those.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
...i dont get it.....someone PLZ explain??

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
OK.

The first one is talking about what happened in WWI. After the Hungarians lost to the Italians, the Ottoman Empire (Turkey) which had some territory in the North of what is now Greece, were pretty well fried.

The second is an old world war two song. Zero was a grade- like an F. Zero was also a Japanese airplane.
The kid grows up being called Johnny Zero in school- everyone teases him because he gets a zero. He grows up and becomes a fighter pilot... and keeps "getting" Zeroes.

It's not so much that you don't get them probably- you're just expecting them to be funny, and really they aren't to most people.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
well i got the first one but i didn't get the second one becuz i dont know about planes so yeah! and yes i do think they r funny! gosh..

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Yep I got both. Watched too many of those 50 and 60's war movies (Battle of Miday, Battle of the Buldge, etc.) The reason the Jap planes were refered to as zero's was because of their signatures I believe. The giant red dots incased in a thin white circle. I believe that is why the Mitsubishi A6 is also known as the Zero fighter.

Link for Mitsubishi A6M Reisin (AKA Zero fighter)

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 09:09 PM
link   
hmmmm interesting...well not tht interesting but ok! lol

top topics

join