It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exactly how long has country music been in the toilet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Man, I tell ya, back in the late '80s and in to the '90s country music was really at it's peak. George Strait, Clint Black, Garth Brooks, Clay Walker, the list goes on and on! During that time the country music was top notch. What the hell happened??? I can't even listen to it anymore. It's commercialized crap! The sad thing about it is that it's ultra-hillbilly now, almost to the point of being a complete joke. There's no feeling anymore. Man, I remember going to the country bars back then with all the beautiful women (Houston has the most beautiful women per capita IMHO
) wanting to two-step and slow dance to a great country ballad. I miss that music. You know what I think it was? I think it was when some freakin' cornball invented line dancing that country music went in the crapper!

Peace

[edit on 2-11-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I just can't listen to the stuff they play today, IMO it's not country music anymore. I like artists like Loretta Lynn, Conway Twitty and Patsy Cline, but the stuff being released by all the new artists over the last few years is just crap.

Artist like Loretta Lynn have tried to remain current, and her last album with Jack White (Van Lear Rose) has a much rougher tone to it with some very gritty songs. But for the most part I like the album and her slight change in style.

Gone are the days of "My wife has left me, the dog just died and my pick-up just got stolen".

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
What ever happened to gettin' drunk on a Saturday nite and goin' to church on Sunday mornin'? We need to go back and think about Sunday mornin' Comin' Down I think.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I never realized this until reading the post. Country music has gone in the dumps. I'll gladly add to your list Dr Love; Tim McGraw is not what he used to be; I liked his song with Nelly though. Alan Jackson, Alabama, Steve Earl. I still am a huge fan of all these guys, Garth Brooks - the hits; Alan Jackson - The Greatest Hits Collection are still 2 of my favorite cds. And I am a huge fan of hard rock, punk and rave. That old school country still has a big peice of my heart though. I still enjoy alittle Shania as well

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Like all genres, some is bad, some is not. There still is some good stuff out there now.

Alot of the big name country artists have gone down the dumps lately though.

Country music took a dive after Garth Brooks went away....

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
For those members that like some of the current country music, please, suggest a particular song and artist. I'll listen to it.

I'd love to find some new stuff to listen to, but what's the best stuff out there now, IYO??? Suggest something.

I'm just not seeing much in the last few years... :bnghd:

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
...I'll gladly add to your list Dr Love; Tim McGraw is not what he used to be

Damn right. I forgot, one among many I'm sure, Tim McGraw. She Can't Be Really Gone, and Don't Take the Girl were some of my favorites.
I'm a romantic at heart so those kinds of songs really get to me. That's the kind of "feeling" I miss. Damn, I could make a thread with a list of country songs from that era that maybe some of the uninitiated could listen to and say to themselves "Damn, this is some good stuff!".

To any guy out there who wants some good music to turn their lady to butta, go with some old school George Strait like If I Know Me or The Chair or Marina del Rey. I'm telling you the ladies can't resist this stuff! Even you guys in countries other than the U.S., trust me.

Peace

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Is it just me or do those people who listen to "New Country" not have Dixie on their mind? Maybe we need to strap them down to a chair and play some Vern Gosdin for them. Put some Keith Whitley on please.

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
Put some Keith Whitley on please.

How could I forget this guy??????? Such talent. Such a tragic end.

"New country"? More like "new crap"!

Peace

posted on Nov, 3 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I'm gonna take a line from Aaron Tippin and one from the one and only Willie Nelson.

You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything
You've got to be your own man not a puppet on a string
Never compromise what's right and uphold your family name
You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything

My heroes have always been cowboys.
And they still are, it seems.
Sadly, in search of, but one step in back of,
Themselves and their slow-movin' dreams.

new topics

top topics

join