It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Instant Thread Kills

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I have been here for a while and a lurker before that, but tonight I have seen 2 threads go into the trash bin before I could even read them.
Is this a common occurence?
Thanks..

[edit on 1-11-2005 by siriuslyone]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Well if the threads contain anything about the legality of drugs- that is usually the case. Now that it has been brought up in here this thread may disapear as well.

Certain topics are exspressly taboo and immediately pulled- contrary to the "no" censorship declaration by the mods. (isn't that the definition?) Istead of saying there is none- how about saying there are certain topics that will be???

say-la-vee
on my screen this post is CERTAINLY over one line- this one makes 9-

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 10:23 PM
link   
perhaps one of those pesky posters killed it.
some have the power to kill a thread by merely posting.

directs attention to avatar.
sub-cultures are cool.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I did not mean for this to be an offensive thread.
Just trying to make sure I am following the rules..

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
did you 'modify' your post?
I see no offense as of this moment.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by launchpad
Certain topics are exspressly taboo and immediately pulled- contrary to the "no" censorship declaration by the mods.

I'm sorry where did you read this no censorship declaration on ATS? Maybe I missed that part.

There are times when members post things that are against the Terms And Conditions Of Use. When this happens they are removed from the board. If you like you can familiarize yourself with T&C's allowing you to understand what is and isn't allowed.

[edit on 1-11-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

Originally posted by launchpad
Certain topics are exspressly taboo and immediately pulled- contrary to the "no" censorship declaration by the mods.

I'm sorry where did you read this no censorship declaration on ATS? Maybe I missed that part.

There are times when members post things that are against the Terms And Conditions Of Use. When this happens they are removed from the board. If you like you can familiarize yourself with T&C's allowing you to understand what is and isn't allowed.

[edit on 1-11-2005 by kinglizard]

I shall do that re-read..I have just never seen it before..

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Here's the official forum with all the ATS rules and regulations.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I have read those and imo, they are just good rules of etiquette that one should know by the end of kindergarten..
Only reason for my querie is that i have not seen it in action before..sorry.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by siriuslyone
i have not seen it in action before..sorry.

No, no reason to be sorry for asking a reasonable question friend. My first response was to someone attempting to bash the ATS moderating staff with untruths. Not such an original idea. Believe me, my "tone" wasn't being directed at you.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   

No, no reason to be sorry for asking a reasonable question friend. My first response was to someone attempting to bash the ATS moderating staff with untruths. Not such an original idea. Believe me, my "tone" wasn't being directed at you.

Not at all.I was a member of board of a very famous person that i enjoyed very much..It got so out of hand with profanity and insults, HE personally shut it down--never again to be reopened..
I think you guys do a great job..

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Very sorry dear sir that you took it as such. I actually like ATS and most of the staff around here. (the ones that follow the rules they enforce- one liners a particular gripe- if you must have one)

Bash it was not - ACCURATE discription it was. I was mearly saying why not be honest and forth coming and fess up to it in certain instances.

Please do not deny simple facts that were submitted and followed by another simple question and then accuse folks of gripes.

This was posted by your very own staff:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you for your support and effort in keeping this site somewhat honest.

--on my screen this exceedes an entire page- please note a page exceeds, is more than, is greater than one line.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
launchpad,

You may need to reread Intrepid's post/thread on censorship. The first paragraph stats that "ATS doesn't censor but we do have rules".

Without knowing what thread was being referred to by siriuslyone in this thread you called censorship. Why?...I assume because you are angry because you received a one line warning evident by the fact that you are posting a line count at the end of your posts as a way to show your disapproval.

Anyway try to relax enjoy your time here, the staff aren't out to get you. If you have a legitimate complaint about a warning you received you have the option to file a complaint through the Help/Gripe function. All complaints are reviewed by ALL Staff members.

Enjoy your evening.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Without knowing what thread was being referred to by siriuslyone in this thread you called censorship. Why?...

Well, that is a simple question with perhaps a long answer. Since you asked I will answer but I do not personally feel the need to discuss the particular subject that I have observed have threads locked (i.e. drugs) to form a complaint. I really am not seeking any conflict-

I replied to someone's question with a legit observation. Rule # 16 is taken to some very whacked out and inconsistent extremes. (Yes, see I am well aware of the rules). Merely mentioning drugs in any form has had many a thread locked and or deleted- by my limited observation. So stated to the person asking the question.

Now don't get me wrong on this- I am military- and drug users of any (non-medical) sort are among the lowest form of life IMO. But the discussion of LAW and modification of law should not become a locked or deleted thread just because someone mentions legalizing something. They are not talking about how to perform illegal activity! They are talking about changing the law. I guess changing the law in some countries might be illegal but not in USA, CAN and UK. (yet)

(Even if it became legal these folks remain at the bottom of the barrel as far as I am concerned- because you cannot count on them, for performing at the level they should or caring about anything beyond self gratification- they are a danger to all around them- same reasons a person with a DUI is highly stigmatized in the military- only more so).

Now upon reading the rules (and upon re-reading them) #16 comes across as more of- "don't discuss how-to's" as in don't talk about how you roll a joint or grow stuff undetected- do not discuss how to hack into peoples systems, and should also cover how to trespass on government property (seen several on how to penetrate area 51 -blatantly illegal- but these threads continue)

Rule #16 taken to the same extreme with other subjects will pretty much shut the board down. I don't want to see that- This site helps pass a lot of dull time baby sitting the world (popular interpretation of my job related to missile defense) It might also be a little part of the reason submissions as a whole are so few of late.

A good majority of the items discussed on this board are illegal some where in some manner. Terrorist activity is illegal pretty much everywhere except apparently the Middle East but it is discussed quite extensively. Why? Well probably because the discussions are not centered around members PERFORMING or HOW TO perform the illegal activity.

Selective enforcement of the rules in such a twisted manner is what? Please limit answers to one word only. Censorship. That is WHY it came up- very much relevant to the aforementioned observation, other observations where the rule was obviously not invoked, and how rule #16 comes across in light of the active discussions on the board.

Shortly (relative), I plan on starting a thread on home security- because I am planning on installing a system- but if part of that thread talks about weaknesses of various parts of the system and how to defeat them- a very obvious concern if I am spending the big money to install a system- isn't that grounds for the thread being pulled????

no conflict intended- Peace

top topics

join