It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leave David Blaine alone!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Pub revellers target Blaine

There is a marked increase in police presence at the David Blaine show today. Two Met officers patrolled the area on foot throughout last night and the early hours.
Blaine, however, was still subjected to a barrage of abuse from people coming out of pubs and clubs. But, there were fewer attacks on his glass box and no one got into the Tower Bridge compound where the American is in day 12 of his 44-day endurance feat.

Representatives from a diet firm managed to take advantage of the stunt, projecting a laser slogan onto the GLA building reading: "There are easier ways to lose weight." But they nearly lost their £30,000 equipment as Blaine's security men tried to confiscate the projector, thinking the beam was aimed at his pod.

A group of Iranian Londoners from Richmond, meanwhile, held a placard with a slogan in Farsi reading: "Yankee go home". Gloria Darvish, 21, said: "It's pathetic that anyone wants to do something like this." Yesterday a man collapsed with a facial injury during a scuffle with a security guard....

www.thisislondon.com...

This is ridiculous. When Blaine was in the heart of NY at Times Square in a block of ice, no one bothered him. Theya l encouraged him. But, in London, "supposedly" the haven for sophistication, he gets harraseed by drunk losers and the like on a daily basis. And then Londoners have the nerve to claim that they are more refined that Americans.

I think the opposite is true.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Not too surprising.... New Yorkers are generally well behaved people.

If it's this bad after 12 days, how bad will it be after 30, if he makes it that long...

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Maybe it's because Londoners are more skeptical of his seemingly amazing feats. His ice block stunt was a fake - the space inside the hollow block actually isn't cold at all, much like an igloo, and also while the block was being cooled by assistants spraying liquid nitrogen on it, Blaine was able to switch places with a double who was hiding in the platform underneath - so there's a good chance that he could have some way of cheating. He is an illusionist, after all.

Anyway, who ever said the English were refined? If you actually visited London, you might notice that it's not all that nice a place beyond the areas the tourists see. Not all Londoners are very friendly people, and I'm sure New York has it's fair share of drunks and criminals.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Hehe, dont forget the burger stands they have opened up beneath him

Anyway, who ever said the English were refined? If you actually visited London, you might notice that it's not all that nice a place beyond the areas the tourists see. Not all Londoners are very friendly people, and I'm sure New York has it's fair share of drunks and criminals.

Yeah us Britains can be quite harsh at times, but I suppose thats our culture! London isn't the nice city here, in fact I try to stay away from it as much as I can. The country towns and a few of the coutry cities (Wells) are the nice place's to visit.

Also, don't forget that one londoner tried to cut his water supply

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Heh. The Americans would never have the skill or forethought to fly a remote control helicopter dangling a burger up to Blaine's box, as us Brits have.

Personally I think that the general public's attitude to Blaine serves to point out that the UK population's sense of humour is still one of the best in the world .

If anything, the fact that Blaine was allowed to sit in a block of ice, unhindered for days, just goes to show how boring the Yanks are. If the #er had tried that here, we woulda blow torched his ass.

At least here, we let an asshole know when we think he's an asshole. And if Blaine doesn't like it, he can always # off back to the States, where he belongs.
Amen.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 10:30 AM
link   
i dont think he is faking this one... just a simple fast... anyone can do it. but who wants to? houdini never had these problems did he? and don't think that he minds to much... any harrasment just earns more attention... and sympathy. also, did anyone else notice he looked rather well fed before he went in. Probably been packing it on for some time.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller
Heh. The Americans would never have the skill or forethought to fly a remote control helicopter dangling a burger up to Blaine's box, as us Brits have.

Personally I think that the general public's attitude to Blaine serves to point out that the UK population's sense of humour is still one of the best in the world .

If anything, the fact that Blaine was allowed to sit in a block of ice, unhindered for days, just goes to show how boring the Yanks are. If the #er had tried that here, we woulda blow torched his ass.

At least here, we let an asshole know when we think he's an asshole. And if Blaine doesn't like it, he can always # off back to the States, where he belongs.
Amen.

True

British humor is the best, it's a shame most Americans don't get 'it'

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 10:42 AM
link   

No, because we aren't arseholes. If the guy is doing an illusion or a feat. Leave him be to see if he can do it. I bet you COULDN'T do it so why get drunk and knock him?

This just proves my conception I had a few years back from an actual experience: Brits can't hold their liquor and are asinine when drunk.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Yea this is pretty sad...i say let him get on with it.....
dont see the point of all this abuse he is getting

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Amen.

And don't get mad and take it out on Blaine because your man Blair is our pet chiuaua.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 10:56 AM
link   
As Cider mentioned, this is an "illusion".... He isn't actually inside the box anyways.... He must be getting quite a chuckle at the free publicity, while he's sittin' back in a break room munching on some fish and chips!

The Ice Box illusion was successfully explained during one of the Secrets of Magic specials... This is simply a variation on the theme....

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
As Cider mentioned, this is an "illusion".... He isn't actually inside the box anyways.... He must be getting quite a chuckle at the free publicity, while he's sittin' back in a break room munching on some fish and chips!

The Ice Box illusion was successfully explained during one of the Secrets of Magic specials... This is simply a variation on the theme....

Could be. They "say" its water that they feed him but who knows what kind of nutrients are in there.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
No, because we aren't arseholes. If the guy is doing an illusion or a feat. Leave him be to see if he can do it. I bet you COULDN'T do it so why get drunk and knock him?

This just proves my conception I had a few years back from an actual experience: Brits can't hold their liquor and are asinine when drunk.

Heh. I've been over to your country and tried the piss that you call beer, so you're on very dodgy ground when it comes to alcohol competition, Major (yeah, I demoted you, gheyboy). And from listening to Blaine's drawling, half intelligible accent, I would say that there is an advert for Yanks not being able to hold their beer if ever I saw one. That dude is either always half cut on watery lager or suffered some serious head trauma in his younger days.

And as for not being able to do what he's doing in London?
Dude, why the hell would I want to sit in a glass box for 7 weeks and do # all when I can do that in the comfort of my own home AND still be able to order takeout pizza? Why didn't somebody point out to Blaine that there are millions of Brits who do exactly what he is doing every single day of their lives, yet they are smart enough to eat?

As for leaving him alone? Well, why the hell doesn't Blaine leave us Brits alone? I can't turn the poxy TV on without seeing his drooling, vacant looking face on every channel.
#. I'm the #er who needs to hide in a box just to get away from mentally retarded American conjurer attention whores.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Heh. I've been over to your country and tried the piss that you call beer, so you're on very dodgy ground when it comes to alcohol competition, Major (yeah, I demoted you, gheyboy). And from listening to Blaine's drawling, half intelligible accent, I would say that there is an advert for Yanks not being able to hold their beer if ever I saw one. That dude is either always half cut on watery lager or suffered some serious head trauma in his younger days.

And as for not being able to do what he's doing in London?
Dude, why the hell would I want to sit in a glass box for 7 weeks and do # all when I can do that in the comfort of my own home AND still be able to order takeout pizza? Why didn't somebody point out to Blaine that there are millions of Brits who do exactly what he is doing every single day of their lives, yet they are smart enough to eat?

As for leaving him alone? Well, why the hell doesn't Blaine leave us Brits alone? I can't turn the poxy TV on without seeing his drooling, vacant looking face on every channel.
#. I'm the #er who needs to hide in a box just to get away from mentally retarded American conjurer attention whores.

I've never been to your country but, I've been to one of your FORMER colonies: Hong Kong. You people were all over the place, getting drunk, pissin'-n-vomitting in the streets in Lai Kwon Fong, trashing the place. I was drinking the same swill at the same amount and I didn't have to resort to that!

And you call American beer piss? Is that why Bud is the King of Beers on the planet? I just need to know.

And on Blaine. He was on TV here too. He's had a few specials. For me, that ain't reason enough to try to break the man down. See, we don't try to bring a man down when he tries something new and difficult. We give him encouragement. Maybe, that's why America is where it is and Britain is where IT is.

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:27 AM
link   

And you call American beer piss? Is that why Bud is the King of Beers on the planet? I just need to know.

On your planet maybe it's the "King of Beers".
On my planet it's "Gnat's piss".

# Major, I've read all your paranoid delusional ramblings on this forum but this is the first time that I've thought that you've really lost it.

"King of Beers"
hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
Honestly.....

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:27 AM
link   

# Major, I've read all your paranoid delusional ramblings on this forum but this is the first time that I've thought that you've really lost it.

"King of Beers"
hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
Honestly.....

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:28 AM
link   

"King of Beers"
hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
Honestly.....some people.....

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Our beer is pretty weak compared to others, that's for sure...
It must taste watered down to a European.....

I have been to London, more than once, and I can say that the description you gave of Hong Kong, does not apply to Londoners....

However, it is pretty discraceful behavior, for a nation reknowned for it's politeness and manners...

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Go ask drunk if I'm lying. He's in Hong Kong.

Now onto the King of Beers, Leveller. Maybe you ought to check their investor relations section on their website and then come at me again?

posted on Sep, 18 2003 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Now onto the King of Beers, Leveller. Maybe you ought to check their investor relations section on their website and then come at me again?

Market share means jack, dude. All it means is that Anhauser Busch have a captive audience of dumb Yanks who'll drink piss if it's sold hard enough to them. And that goes for other nations who touch that swill too.

Just because something has the biggest share of the market doesn't mean it's the best.
Heh. Look at Microsoft.

#. I'll bet they're pumping Bud through Blaine's tube. That's probably why he looks so sad and lonely in that box.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join