It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Sony Music CDs Install Hidden Anti-piracy Malware

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Actually the whole idea is to scare you into thinking that taking the adware is going to damage your drive but actually what it does is render their software useless not your computer.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Could you rephrase that? I don't understand what you mean.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I was just thinking, it doesn't matter because my CD drives broke.

Perhaps now I know why, those swines.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Just disable autoplay. That's all that is needed I believe.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Just a quick note-Kla, you got my vote for way above!!!!!!!!!!

[edit on 11/2/2005 by mrmonsoon]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Hey thanks!

To anyone who's reading this, The main point to observe, is that Sony is not making a big announcement when they're installing software on your computer. Regardless of the nature of the software, or the piracy issue, they're doing this behind your back. Then you have to realize that the software being installed, is known elsewhere as a hacker tool for gaining control of your computer. Even if they aren't controlling your computer, when you try to uninstall the files, it may render your computer unusable.

So far the facts about it are like this:

1.) Installing this software without telling you.
2.) Software has a history of being a hacker's tool.
3.) Removing software damages your computer

I wanted to get this out there for people to realize that they can't rely on common sense sometimes to make good decisions when buying music. From now on, if I want a sony album, I may as well buy it off Itunes if I want to be legal.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I can see their 4th quarter CD sales dropping if reaches enough eyes to read this.

a huge
to them and i hope someone takes them to court for this.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
Yeah its a real shame when they want to protect a product from being illegally copied.

What do you have to worry about if you are not illegally making copies?

Huh?

yeah corporations should install whatever they want whenever they want on our computers with out telling us anything. its not about me or you doing anything wrong its about sony doing something illegal/wrong. lets just let cops pull us over and search our cars first then ask us for id and proof of insurance why because we have nothing to fear we did nothing wrong. we should also put tracking devices on children so they wont get lost that way we wont have anything to fear.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Sounds illegal to me. Theft of computer services I believe should be the charge against Sony. Remember a guy (in Atlanta I believe) that was charged with this for putting something LIKE SETI @ Home on the computers. Perhaps theft is ok in the U.S. as long as it happens to consumers and not big business. Whats the other crime? Unlawful use of a computer network or something like that?

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Considering that the life of a cd is limited. This is a bad idea. I always back up my cds. (Yes I actually purchase them). Now they try to make it so you can't back them up... Hardly right. Its almost like buying a car and not being allowed to make repairs on it. Trying to prevent piracy, they are being allowed to take this too far.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The Sony Act allows you to make a copy for your own personal use. You are allowed to transfer your product from one form to another. Like from cd to mp3 legally.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
This would be suicide for the CD division of Sony. I mean really, there are few people who don't copy CDs nowadays, and if people were aware they would not be able to copy a certain type of CD, I'm sure they would prefer not to buy it. Corporate suicide.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
The Sony Act allows you to make a copy for your own personal use. You are allowed to transfer your product from one form to another. Like from cd to mp3 legally.

Yeah it's quite ironic isn't it.

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Here are some words and a few links from another site.

One of the links leads to a story of how trying to remove this Hacker ware did damage to his computer.

www.theinquirer.net...

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by subz
Or better yet, Sony gets hauled infront of a judge to explain why they are installing illegal software on their customers computer without warning them. I'm inclined to go buy a Sony cd with this on just so I can sue them.

[edit on 1/11/05 by subz]

you got it...
when my business computer crashes next time, i will simply call up my local computer repair guy, who will testify that a suspicious program seems to be causing the issue, and soon after that, will retire thanks to my new ownership of SONY...

last sony cd or product i ever buy will be the next cd... then i will change the name to psony.

[edit on 2-11-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Ok here is some more information on this.
Due to the recent Russinovich blog report and the news that it has engendered, Sony, First4Internet as well as most antivirus vendors are now attempting to get a patch out to everyone due to a security hole in the anti-piracy program that would allow hackers to use it to take over your computer. The patch will be given to the av vendors ans will be available on the Sony web site.
Also, due to the widespread public outcry against what Sony has done, If you have purchased one of these copywrite CD's and have installed this program, all you need to do is to contact Sony and they will provide you with the steps you will need to take to completely remove this program.
News.com

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 04:39 PM
link   
And in return their "fix" installs ActiveX controls that does who knows what...

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
good thing i download cds and then put them on my ipod

it's the future people...

get with it

but, yes, putting un-wanted programs on your computer without you ever knowing it is evil...

maybe it is illegal too???

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
He, he, they probably get away with it using the patriot act and the war on terror over misuse of private property and the fight against piracy.

Isn't our country great.

Where does the Patriot Act or War on Terror fit into all of this?

posted on Nov, 2 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
good thing i download cds and then put them on my ipod

it's the future people...

get with it

but, yes, putting un-wanted programs on your computer without you ever knowing it is evil...

maybe it is illegal too???

How would u feel when it hoses your ipod?
Think about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join