It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats so good about firefox

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I was just wondering about the new mozilla firefox browser. I've heard that it has a built-in firewall and popup blocker and all that good stuff. I was just wondering what makes it better than internet explorer. My friend has it but he said its slower than internet explorer. So if you could help me out I'd be thankful.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I don't see how Firefox could be slower than IE. If anything it should be faster due to its popup add blocker.

I've been using Firefox for a few months now. With Firefox is really customizable. There are some cool addons to download for it.
Here is some info
www.mozilla.org...

Download it and play with it. You will see why people like it better.

JAK

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Hey truttseeker,

I use Firefox and have found it no slower than IE at all. Also I love the tabbed browsing. On the odd occasion that I have had to use IE others computers it just feels horrible. Seperate windows for every site is just a pain and pop-ups are not even an issue for me with Firefox. I love it.

Not sure about the built in firewall you mentioned though, never heard of that.

Jak

[edit on 31/10/05 by JAK]

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 12:01 PM
link   
My friend said it but then again he's not the most computer literate person in the world.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
MSIE is just dumb and annoying.

For example, if you right-click to open a link in a new window, it popup in a tiny window displaying half the page, so you click the maximize button to view the full page, but next time you click the link it's the frigging tiny window again. You would think that Microsoft figured how to open a window fullscreen on their own operating system for god sake. Tierd party software don't have this problem.

Or worst, IE keep shuffling your Favorites (bookmarks) to make your browsing experience painful. I like ordering my bookmarks in an efficient way, placing the most used websites at the top, and sorting them in folder. But IE is all messing the order, it put the latest link you clicked on top (what if you click that link only once a year, you want it to stay down there), and it sort other bookmarks randomly, so next time you want to open the bookmarks you don't know where it's going to be located, you have read the entire bookmarks list to find it, when you have thousands bookmarks in the list that take forever.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Personally, I wonder a similar thing - why use anything other than Safari?

Firefox is nice, but safari is a great browser, and is jsut overall better. Faster, better designed, better support, and much smoother.

Wouldn't part with it for the world. (well, maybe
)

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I've been using Firefox for about 6 months. I was hesitant to change, but my husband convinced me to give it a try. I absolutely love it. IE seems so outdated somehow. (I still have it on my machine, should I feel like reminiscing.)

I love the tabbed browsing, of course. I always have several pages open.

Also, Firefox seems to be more forgiving than IE as far as losing pages. For example, if I type in a response and hit Post Reply, if there's a problem, IE always lost my whole reply. Firefox doesn't do that. It holds the page right there.

I love Firefox.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I love the tabbed browsing, of course. I always have several pages open.

It's great, but safari has it. As do most things in OSX.

posted on Oct, 31 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
There are still some things that sites can throw at you that only IE can handle. My advice to anyone who wants to stick with IE is to get the free Avant Browser plugin - it brings IE into this century with popup blocking, tabbed browsing, etc.

Having said that, I prefer Opera to everything else, and I've tried many browsers, including Firefox. Opera is now free software and their developers more or less program and feature that's asked of them. My favourite part of Opera is the session-based browsing. It also has a "trashcan" - old closed pages can be retrieved quite quickly. Its best feature, though, is probably the "Wand." The Wand is kind of like the Roboform plugin, but it's free and simpler.

Zip

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
truttseeker there is no firewall built in, you will still need one on your PC.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   
If you download the Firefox Browser you can have it import all you IE Favorites to the Bookmark folder and keep all your IE settings.

You have the option of using both browsers anytime you want, so it gives you a chance to get used to the new program before you stop using IE.
I think if you give it a chance and do some customization, you'll never look back.

I Love Mozilla Firefox.....
www.mozilla.org...

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I've always used Opera and never really tried firefox. Much difference between to two? I can imagine they both work a lot better than IE.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Possibly the best reason to switch from IE to Firefox (or any other similar styled of browswer) is W3C Compliance. IE will brutalize HTML not crafted just to their particular liking, mangle your CSS, and dont even begin to think about PNG Graphics with their alpha layer. Firefox on the other hand doesnt do those things. When was the last time a new feature (not plugin or third-party add-on) was put into IE? Microsoft has spent the past few years just patching security issues in IE and not doing any kind of active development on it. As far as comments about dumping IE, its not possible because IE is part of Windows Explorer, making it neigh on impossible to remove. Honestly they only reason I would advise anyone (and I'm saying from a casual surfer and IT person) to use IE is to run Windows Update, other than that its nothing but a horrible gaping security hole that shouldnt be permitted onto the internet.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Yeah I'm always hearing about holes in IEs security. Personally it was t he tabbed browsing that brought me to opera, so much easier to use.

posted on Nov, 1 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by phixion
Personally it was t he tabbed browsing that brought me to opera, so much easier to use.

Same here on FireFox. Made keeping up with the three different sites here (A/B/PTS) much easier: Ctrl+Pg Dn, Refresh, rinse, repeat.

About the only problem I've had with FF was a few versions back (1.0.5 I believe?) it had kind of a nasty memory leak if you went to a bunch of sites and just left it running all day. Haven't had that problem recently, they might've fixed it in 1.0.6 or 1.0.7.

Not that you have much say in the matter anyways, but still keep your IE, and keep it updated as well. There's still a lot of sites that only work in IE unfortunately, and a lot that are kinda strange looking in FF because they were designed for IE.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by phixion
Yeah I'm always hearing about holes in IEs security.

Well I read somewhere (no link sorry) that whilst there were more security holes in IE there have been holes in Firefox that are more major in places. The article claims that the main reason that more have not been found is because IE is still the dominant browser and so most of the attempted hacks/cracks (whatever!) are aimed at it so as to reach the most amount of systems, wait until Firefox gets more of a following (than its already big following) says the article.

I was rather unnerved by this as I do use Firefox! Out of interest, I used Download Accelerator Plus with Firefox (I think I had to move a DLL there) however I have uninstalled DAP (long story!). My problem is that whenever I go to download ANY file (by clicking on a link) it comes up with an error that DAP could not be initialized. I can download using firefox as normal if I right click on a link then "save link as" (or similar). Do any of you know how to stop this?!?!?!?! I have removed the offending DLL but it doesn't want to die quietly!

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Infidellic
Do any of you know how to stop this?!?!?!?! I have removed the offending DLL but it doesn't want to die quietly!

Try removing firefox completely, and then installing it again. Thats all I can think of.

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

Originally posted by Infidellic
Do any of you know how to stop this?!?!?!?! I have removed the offending DLL but it doesn't want to die quietly!

Try removing firefox completely, and then installing it again. Thats all I can think of.

Did that already! Thanks for trying though, no worries all I have to do is right-click each time

posted on Nov, 5 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Oh and in addition Tabbed browsing will be implemented in IE7 due to be released with XP Service Pack 2 by the end of the year according to PC Adviosr Magazine (UK btw)

new topics

top topics

join