It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with Haggis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Hello...

I just got back from Scotland and was wondering if anyone had in good recipies for Haggis?

I ate it several times while I was over there and would like to share some with some friends here in the States.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 17 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Haggis are so good. I had some not to long ago at a Scottish Highland fair.

posted on Dec, 29 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I hope you know what goes into haggis or youre in for a big suprise.

I myself love the stuff. Half of my family is scottish so I eat it at least 3 times a year when visiting. Its not their staple diet lol just something tradtional that comes out at family gatherings.

Recipes -

Traditional Haggis
1 sheep's pluck (stomach bag)
2 lb.. dry oatmeal
1 lb. suet
1 lb. lamb's liver
2 1/2 cups stock
1 large chopped onion
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, Jamaica pepper and salt
Boil liver and parboil the onion, then mince them together. Lightly brown the oatmeal. Mix all ingredients together. Fill the sheep's pluck with the mixture pressing it down to remove all the air, and sew up securely. Prick the haggis in several places so that it does not burst. Place haggis in boiling water and boil slowly for 4-5 hours. Serves approximately 12.

Quick Haggis
1/2 lb liver
1 onion
1/2 cup oatmeal
5 to 8 cups stock
1/2 cup suet
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
Boil the liver and parboil the onion, then mince them together. Lightly brown the oatmeal then mix all ingredients together. Place in a greased basin and cover with foil, or a suet crust if desired and steam for 1 1/2 hours. Serves 4.

Enjoy with a nice glass of whiskey
Slainte Mhath!

posted on Dec, 30 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I've ate this only once, and I want to try cooking it myself.
Only one problem........

Where do I get a sheep's stomach in Canada???
I know we have some sheep in the country, but I think the stomach sack is one of the parts that goes to rendering. I've never seen them for sale at the local butcher.

Anyone have a suggestion???

posted on Dec, 31 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
All I can think is that you ask your local butcher. He may be able to get it for you specially if you explain what u want it for.

If I want one then thats where I go. It cost me about £3 for one and its already washed and ready for use

Alot of people use synthetic substitutes. They might be easier to get hold of. Or sausage skin might be an opion

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Im not sure if it posted cuss my internet messed again.
I was wondering if it had to be cooked in a stomach like saque (not that in dising cuss its good) because the two times i ate haggis there was not saque to be seen.
maybe what i ate was like instant haggis like instant mash petatoes or hamber helper
Haggey Helper We help your hag out
or
Instant Haggis
when you need hag fast

ok im going to stop before im stoned lol

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   
there are some places that sell you the haggis frozen and allready stuffed. all you need to do is thaw it out and boil it.

don't forget to Address the haggis

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Are bagpipes made of haggis? If they are, it explains why haggis taste like it does...

Also be careful when you sneak up on those sheeps. You have to wear kilt, cause those sheeps can hear a zipper from miles away.

[edit on 2006/1/13 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Ok since its Burns night over here i may as well set the record straight.

BAGPIPES ARE NOT MADE OF BLEEDIN HAGGIS!!!!!

RECIPE FOR HAGGIS IS HERE : Haggis recipe

Now since i am a Scot, here is a website for the True Burns night supper.

Rabbie Burns night

Here is a website too help you with organising a Burns Supper

How to organise a Burns Supper

Enjoy

Eowan

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Oh just too let you know something.

There is actually an animal called the Haggis as well.

A lot of Scots will say there isnt, but a extremist group who are even more psychotic than the rest of us believe there is..and quite frankly so do i lol

Anyway. The Haggis is a cute little critter that looks like a duck billed platypus that has had a hair transplant or miracle grow spread on it.

Here ya go : The annual Haggis Hunt

Aww...aint they cute!!

top topics

join