It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia, China call for U.S. troops to get out of Central Asia

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   

A security bloc led by China and Russia has called on the United States to set a deadline for the withdrawal of its troops from Central Asia.

Members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization concluded their meeting in Moscow with the call for a U.S. withdrawal, the South China Morning Post reported Friday.

The newspaper described Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao's participation in the meeting as "another step to cement Beijing's influence in the Central Asian region."

During his two-day stay in Moscow, Wen met Russian President Vladimir Putin and leaders of the group's other member states -- Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan -- as well as India, Iran and Pakistan, who hold observer status in the group.

The group's executive secretary, Zhang Deguang, said the organization was focused on fighting terrorism and drug trafficking and was not a military alliance. He said the call for a U.S. withdrawal was "only a matter of deadlines ... not an ultimatum."

In July, the group requested a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan, reflecting growing Russian and Chinese unease over the U.S. military presence in the resource-rich region, the newspaper said.

Source

It was only a matter of time before American invasion of their sphere of influence provoked this.

By refusing to say anything other than ambiguous euphamisms Bush has created the perception that the supposed liberation comes at the price of continuous occupation.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Too bad it isn't Russia or China's land, because if it was they would have a say.

As it is, when Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan decide we should leave, then we will. Something tells me that they will want us to stay there though.

And BTW, it has nothing to do with Bush. Both Russia and China want the US out, regardless of president, as soo as possable so that they may exert their own political influence on these nations for their own ends.

[edit on 28-10-2005 by American Mad Man]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Hmmmmm no its not Russian or Chinese land.......

but ummmm........

neither is it American land either

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Wow, well I guess we’ll now just get up and move because Russia said so

There's a reason why they want us out, and it’s so they can expand their own influence over the region. And for that reason alone, the US isn't going anywhere.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by UiNeill
Hmmmmm no its not Russian or Chinese land.......

but ummmm........

neither is it American land either

Very true so I would think Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan should get the say on who goes or stays. It just happens the goverments of those countries are allowing the US to have bases there.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Didn't the romans go to new lands first as advisors then they built forts(bases), then demanded tribute and finally took over. Wonder what happened to the romans?

As if the US does not have enough problems it must be costing you guys a fortune in spent taxes, think of your lifestyles if you reduced the military by 50% because no idiot is going to attack you with that nuke arsenal.

So why do you need to annoy the chinese and russians, you guys went mad when russia got involved with cuba, why because it was right on your doorstep. Maybe the Chinese feel the same way.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Over recent years a good number accusations have been pushed across the international table in reference to US involvement in Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan. While some claims have been more credible than others, the fact still stands there is reason to at least consider what exactly is happening in those two countries which Russia and China might be so worked up about. Here’s one such “indictment” of sorts involving the US and Uzbekistan followed by another involving the US and Kyrgyzstan:

ICFI--While the US State Department has issued formal reports criticizing the regime for human rights violations, the Bush administration has authorized the CIA and the military to “render” those it has detained in the “war on terrorism” to Uzbekistan, precisely because the regime practices torture.

Karimov’s dictatorship receives hundred of million of dollars annually in aid from the US in return for providing the Pentagon with a key military base at Qarshi Hanabad, where approximately 1,500 US personnel are stationed. The base serves as a major supply facility for the continuing war in neighboring Afghanistan as well as a platform for projecting US military power in the rest of Central Asia.
Source

Guardian--The ousted Kyrgyzstan president, Askar Akayev, last night accused the US of being behind the "anti-constitutional coup" which forced him to flee the country last week, and said he would only resign if given sufficient a guarantee of his personal safety.

"I think that their influence was prevailing," he said when asked of US government involvement in the mayhem that is becoming known as the daffodil revolution. He added that the opposition was "supported by the [US organisations] the National Democratic Institute, Freedom House, and other organisations ... They were providing training and finance," he said. The US has maintained an airbase near the capital, Bishkek, ever since it persuaded Kyrgyzstan to host its Afghanistan campaign in 2001.
Source

While claims alone are hardly enough to justify a demand for US to halt alleged intervention and remove itself from those sovereign nations, it does warrant consideration of their side of the story. If the US is involved in “meddling” in foreign internal politics in an attempt to what might be considered wrongfully expanding its hegemony, then this is probably grounds for “opposing” nations to comment and make demands, as America has produced a belligerent action. If the US is involved in sending POWs to nations which are known to condone torture, which means the US is indirectly torturing POWs (Which admittedly are not officially classified as POWs), then this is also grounds for “opposing” nations to comment and make demands, as again America has produced a belligerent action, and this time also what could be interpreted as illegal, or a war crime.

I am not accusing US President G.W. Bush or the United States of America in general of doing anything which is morally wrong or illegal in this instance, but I see reason to believe that possibility looms. China and Russia may have the right, based on legalities even, to make statements as they did in the original post, based on the allegations I’ve seen. In fact, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan might, due to the fact internal politics may have been “messed with,” may not even have the “right” to decide who stays and who goes, as they could be one of those “puppet governments installed by the United States” the ATS community so often discusses.

Considering this, I’ll for the moment wave my right to speculate whether or not China and Russia have any say. Right now, my opinion is there’s not enough information to form an educated opinion. We’ll just have to sit it out and see how it unfolds, or if it unfolds at all, before we can really be certain as to what exactly is going on, and who did what.

EDIT:Typo

[edit on 10/28/2005 by SkyFox2]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Munro_DreadGod
Didn't the romans go to new lands first as advisors then they built forts(bases), then demanded tribute and finally took over. Wonder what happened to the romans?

Not really Rome pretty much lead their invasions with the Legions and they weren't comming to advise anyone. The main way Rome expanded was through military conquest. For example when Julius Caesar first went to Britain he went with 2 legions he pretty much demanded they submit to the Romans. No fake advising role it was pretty straight forward

As for what happened to the Romans they created on of the most successful and powerful empires the world ever saw.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Munro_DreadGod

As if the US does not have enough problems it must be costing you guys a fortune in spent taxes, think of your lifestyles if you reduced the military by 50% because no idiot is going to attack you with that nuke arsenal.

So why do you need to annoy the chinese and russians, you guys went mad when russia got involved with cuba, why because it was right on your doorstep. Maybe the Chinese feel the same way.

Ill tell you what happened to the Romans, they built the longest lasting continuous superstate.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

As for what happened to the Romans they created on of the most successful and powerful empires the world ever saw.

Not to mention feats of engineering and science that the world would not see again for over 1000 years.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 01:31 PM
link   
replace American influence with Chinese influence. it figures. its a wonder why the Chinese and the Russians want the Americans out. the Chinese are looking at those resource rich countries to influence to feed their own economy and military power.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The point all of you are missing is that Afghanistan is also in Central Asia so withdraw from there is included in their demands.

You also seem to ignore the fact that the other 'Stans' were part of the Soviet Union not so long ago.

Ask yourself how you would feel if tens of thousands of Russian, and Chinese forces were moving into Mexico.

[edit on 29-10-2005 by ArchAngel]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel
The point all of you are missing is that Afghanistan is also in Central Asia so withdraw from there is included in their demands.

You also seem to ignore the fact that the other 'Stans' were part of the Soviet Union not so long ago.

should remember as u have mentioned they were part of the Soviet Union but decided to break away. i wonder why...........must be somthing dats missing here. should those nations choose if American troops should stay or leave? China and Russia wants us out but we want to stay to continue the fight where many Al Qaida and Taliban fighters are at.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23

Not to mention feats of engineering and science that the world would not see again for over 1000 years.

...before they crumbled and burned and the world was plunged into the dark ages. All great empires come to an end. The empires that inhabit this world at this point in time will be no different.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

i wonder why...........must be somthing dats missing here.

I could get over the fact that as Deltaboy your avatar is a Girl in a Skirt, but your purposeful mispellings are too much.

Please don't reply to my threads unless you care to act like an adult.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Implosion
...before they crumbled and burned and the world was plunged into the dark ages. All great empires come to an end.

It is all apart of natural historical progression.
As society, societies needs change, as society progresses, so do governments and empires.

The empires that inhabit this world at this point in time will be no different.

Be aware that this does not necessarily hold true in all cases.
Though the name may change, though the classification of Empire may cease or not be used, the national identity process continues to be viable.
Example: Colonialization brought the British Empire. With the end of coloialization the British Empire simply became Britain, the United Kingdom.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Example: Colonialization brought the British Empire. With the end of coloialization the British Empire simply became Britain, the United Kingdom.

Even this is not quite true.

The Queen of England still holds dictaorial control over Britain, Australia, and Canada under constitutional law.

It could be argued that through the Crown Corporation control still extends over former Crown Colonies.

The Crown Empire is still there, though much less visible.

[edit on 29-10-2005 by ArchAngel]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel

I could get over the fact that as Deltaboy your avatar is a Girl in a Skirt, but your purposeful mispellings are too much.

Please don't reply to my threads unless you care to act like an adult.

maybe if u notice my avatar shows a cyborg girl holding a P90 submachine gun who looks and acts like a little girl in a skirt but is a highly lethal and trained assassin killing the terrorists in one of the episodes. looks can be deceiving. i can pretty much respond to yer threads, and my spelling...well get use to dat as well im not doin an assignment here dat requires grammar chek.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Ask yourself how you would feel if tens of thousands of Russian, and Chinese forces were moving into Mexico.

No one said they have to like it, we’re just saying they don't have any right to tell the US or other countries what to do.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   

No one said they have to like it, we’re just saying they don't have any right to tell the US or other countries what to do.

They can say whatever they want, and they have good reason for asking us to get out.

Look at a map.

Notice how both Russia, and China border on many of the 'Stans'.

Now notice how America is on the opposite side of the world......

top topics

<<   2 >>

join