It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspicious odor in New York City

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I'll throw out a verry crazy idea out there.

Maybe this is a massive, joint ventured commercial from the bakeries in Manhattan?? Or not???

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Maybe the noreaster brought down all that maple syrup smell from Vermont and Canada?

-koji K.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
Maybe the noreaster brought down all that maple syrup smell from Vermont and Canada?

-koji K.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Judging the way things are going, lets be thankful its a sweet smell and nobody is passing out from it. If anything is going to smell it will be now with the possibility of these indictments.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Could be God just gave New York a reprieve. Time to get religious..

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
My wife who works in Newark Nj , says she has smelled the same sweet smell , and it reminded her of chemistry classs , and felt that because it smelled sweet it must be some kind of chemical.

Mod edit: to remove text color as it was impossible to read.

[edit on 28-10-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by zman
My wife who works in Newark Nj , says she has smelled the same sweet smell , and it reminded her of chemistry classs , and felt that because it smelled sweet it must be some kind of chemical.

New Jersey and Sweet Smell have never before been used in the same sentence.

Mod Edit: text color

[edit on 28-10-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
This is posted on the National Terror Alert web site. Here's the link if your interested.

www.nationalterroralert.com...

[edit on 28-10-2005 by glan]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Northern New Jersey is the synthetic smell capital of the world. Seriously, the fake smell of McD's french fries comes from there.

I've lived in NYC, be thankful its a sweet smell.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
For a while I was thinking that.

Usually when a small is powerful enough to reach my apartment window it's a fire. So something that smelled nice was kinda cool! But it was so strong it was almost sickening.

Thanks to all for the suggestions (chemicals etc) I am certainly looking forward to finding out what it actually was.

xu

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
from somewhat a fictitious perpective also consider this:

they analyzed it and found out it is not toxic right? because they just analyzed the thin air.

the smell could be caused by your senses, or body, and could not actually be existent in the air. it happens and it is possible. for example in case of mouth cancer, the patient smells an odour like fresh cut grass when s/he wakes up. and in this case this smell is not sourced from outside but sourced from the inside, the mouth of the mouth cancer diagnosed patient.

so say there is something in the city water or some other thing which everbody uses daily, which could cause some mysterious medical condition which would cause the person to smell some specific odour, (but in reality caused by that medical condition). everone naturally would think the odour is in the air, and analyse the air and get clean results or non-toxic results while the cause of the issue is somewhere else which no-one will suspect because it is by law if you smell something in open air, the odour is in the air.

ok maybe not, but it is possible, and I hope it is not a mass medical condition, it is very interesting nevertheless.

[edit on 28-10-2005 by xu]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 12:46 AM
link   
This is just my thoughts, but...... I would seriously watch and listen to all things around me if I were in a big city and don't take anything lightly anymore.

There are to many things going on in the world right now to not take into account that NY city could be another ground zero for something terrible to happen in. If some believe that certain things of the past were made to happen, like the WTC and the Iraq war and whatnot, NY may be being tested to see how things are spread in the air, and over the area for a reason.

I would just keep my wits about me. And stay alert for anything....

Dont want to sound to overdramatic, but knowone seemed to speculative about weird odors being smelt throughout their city.

MSTKN

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Let me get this straight, they analyzed it, but still never said what it was?

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I dont know if its a good or bad thing but most Chemical weapons are oderless, tasteless and colorless to humans.

Some but not many are reported to have a slightly sweet or fruity smell. Cyclosarin for example has been described as having sweet and musty smell, and resembling peaches or shellac. However, if you don't die within minutes, you probably won't die at all from a Chemical weapon.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
So did anyone ever find out what the smell was? Ive heard of a few ppl that i know thru the net in nyc that have smelt this. I was thinkin chemical plant myself.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
This is the latest report I could find.

www.upi.com...

NYC can't find sweet smell source

NEW YORK, Oct. 29 (UPI) -- New York City officials say they have not been able to determine the source of what many called a sweet smell like maple syrup or pancakes.

New York City Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said that tests had been conducted by the Department of Environmental Protection, the Health Department and other city agencies, but no toxic substance was found for the smell that seemed most prominent in Manhattan Thursday, the New York Daily News reported Saturday.

"It's believed to be some sort of food substance, but we can't substantiate that," said Kelly Friday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Do you people in New York still smell this stuff? This is so strange...

I hope somebody gets to the bottom of it soon

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Suspicious odour in The Big Apple...

...maybe it's just the stink of corruption blowing down-wind from Wall Street?

[edit on 29-10-2005 by timski]

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Sorry if anyone was confused.

The smell was only around Thursday night from about 7PM till 1:30AM or so.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Well then that could have been a group of old ladies at a civic center baking their little hearts out.
Nothing to worry about.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join