It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Israel Wants Iran Expelled from UN

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Riwka

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Shortly after Iran's President called for the destruction of Israel, Israel's vice prime minister has called for Iran to be expelled from the United Nations.

It is a clear contravention and breach of the UN charter and it should be dealt with by the international community.

Not only Shimon Peres, also a statement from the prime minister's office quoted PM Arik Sharon as saying: "A country that calls for the destruction of another people cannot be a member of the United Nations."

Sharon instructed Israeli Ambassador to the United Nations Dan Gillerman to take action in order to remove Iran from the international organization.

In order for a nation to be expelled it must first pass the Security Council without a veto, and then be accepted by a majority of the General assembly.

Russia has already said they would block Security Council actions against Iran, and Syria so why would they, or an others allow Iran to be expelled?

Chapter 3
Article 6
A Member of the United Nations which has persistently violated the Principles contained in the present Charter may be expelled from the Organization by the General Assembly upon the recommendation of the Security Council.

UN Charter

And if they were expelled Iran would no longer be bound by the UN NNPT so they would be free to develop Nuclear weapons...

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I see Riwka and i stand corrected. Thank you for educating it me more
Hopefully i have the pleasure of bumping into you when i visit Israel

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel

and Syria so why would they, or an others allow Iran to be expelled?

Syria?

Decisions on procedural matters are made by an affirmative vote of at least nine of the 15 United Nations Security Council members.

Decisions on substantive matters require nine votes, including the concurring votes of all five permanent members. This is the rule of "great Power unanimity", often referred to as the "veto" power.

The 5 permanent members are:

• United States Of America
  • Russian Federation
  • United Kingdom
  • China
  • France

BTW: Russia condemned Ahmadinejad's comment:

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, who is in Israel for meetings with Israeli leaders, told Sharon on Thursday that Ahmadinejad's comments are unacceptable to Russia and that the Iranian ambassador to Moscow has been asked to provide an explanation.

"I don't agree that anyone should challenge the right of any UN member to exist
," he said earlier in the day. "This is indeed inadmissible."

source

[edit on 27-10-2005 by Riwka]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 02:15 PM
link   

There are good Jews, jewish Nobel Prize winners - bad Jews and there are Jews which are complete stupid idiots..... Jews are like everyone else,...maybe just a bit more so

not necessarily so if you read the story in New York Magazine about Jws being smarter than the average person.

www.newyorkmetro.com...

kinda funny, kinda interesting, kinda scary

back to the topic at hand

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
A bold move on the part of Israel. They should withdraw if Iran isn't expelled. You can't stay in an organization that has members openly calling for your murder. Its bad enough that Iran can refer to the US as the "Great Satan" that must be wiped out, (not because of a policy but because its the evil tool of the devil himself) but this radical organizer straight out of the Revolution, he's gone way to far.

If Iran isn't booted out or made to rescind that policy then Israel should leave the UN, it doesn't need the UN anyway, Bluehelmets aren't going to storm to Israel's defense is a pan-arab league forms against it again, or even do anythin other than issue statements against just such a league, so why bother?

[edit on 27-10-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I can't see Israel removing itself to behonest, Iran is most likely to be expelled from the UN

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Isreal functions under such an amazing double standard that it isn't funny...they have milked the guilt for the holocast until it would seem nothing further could be gained. If other countries treat their second class citizens like they do the palstineians, they get sanctions hurled at them but with the support of the US they continue with impunity. I have no problem with Jews, so much so that unless it is brought up, I don't even notice whether someone is or not...but Isreal...lets face it folks...it has long since past bordering on a racist/aparthid state....and I hate to say it but deserves what it gets.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Isreal functions under such an amazing double standard that it isn't funny...they have milked the guilt for the holocast until it would seem nothing further could be gained. If other countries treat their second class citizens like they do the palstineians, they get sanctions hurled at them but with the support of the US they continue with impunity. I have no problem with Jews, so much so that unless it is brought up, I don't even notice whether someone is or not...but Isreal...lets face it folks...it has long since past bordering on a racist/aparthid state....and I hate to say it but deserves what it gets.

I see, take in and understand what you say and yes, you raise some good points that others have aswell. It is questionable that they have used the holocaust as a reason, but if 6 million of your race been killed you would probably do the same. Israel does have its good points and bad points, i admit that(i have in this thread to the point i was called a "bigot" by some member..funny he never replied after what i said
), but to say it deserves what it gets is unjest. There is a member of ATS who i admire alot and even rate as a friend, Riwka(even though me and her have VERY different views) and i shudder everytime i hear of a bombing in Israel and i would hate to see an attack on Israel cause i would worry for her safety.

I agree with you on some points, but Israel does not deserve what it gets

[edit on 27-10-2005 by infinite]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
when I say isreal deserves what it gets...i am trying to express a truth that is not pretty...that individuals should suffer for the acts of their governments is of course wrong BUT we also chose (especially in republics like the US and Isreal) those governments as well. If you are really interested in the subject...read Karen Armstrong's "Holy War", it is quite sobering and very balanced and one of the things that she points out in there is that once people start evoking God on my side etc....all true morality goes out the window and the situition inevitably deterioriates and gets progressivily uglier until untimately there are no innocents. Isreal has run rough shod over the palestinians for decades...since before the partition when whole viliages were either evicted or erased and it has created a dispairing and desperate people...when the arguement is presented why don't they absorb into the neighboring countries...I have to reply would you when you have been forcibly removed from lands your family has held for centuries? Inevitably the answer when phrased that way is no, that they would fight and that is the crux of the whole issue...home.

TPL

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be better to keep Iran inside the international community, than push it outside?

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by TPL
Wouldn't it be better to keep Iran inside the international community, than push it outside?

you definitely want to be able to keep them close enough to monitor.

push them away and the next thing you know you're invading a country looking for wmd that don't exist.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Isreal's remarks are useless. They themselves have been a target of numerous resolutions which were disregared and vetoed by the United States, if anything, these two countries should be discounted as 'respected' members for thier tautologous dissuasion of human rights over the decades.

Israel is simply crying that an Arab power has aqquired the means to create Nuclear weapons, all the while they sit on 200 themselves.

Luxifero

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I think that it is a shame to destroy any religious monuments, or any type of historical artifact, they are a piece of mankinds history, it's a shame that there is such hatred in the ME, and everywhere actually. To call for an annhilation of a whole people is just absurd. The UN will as usual do nothing, they never seem to do anything, and I wonder why they even exist anymore. I find it embarrassing that my country is a member and I wished they would pullout too. And pullout out of NAFTA as well to change topics, the US only accepts what they like, and I feel we can do better as a country trading our resources to the Russians or Chinese, Canada and Russia should develop an Arctic type Agreement with possible Norway and Denmark. I believe the US needs our lumber, oil, water, and energy more than we need there exports. With so many crisis's in the world going on, what we need is less bureaucacy and more action, but the UN seems to like there cushiony seats and talk talk talk away. I am not fond of the leaders of Iran, especially after our reporter from montreal went missing, and I see this as a global conspiracy to have Israel start a war with Iran / Syria. Israel appears to be willing to do the US dirty work. I hope Canada stays smart enough to stay out of that one. Nothing good can come of it. People should be working together to develop new technologies and space exploration, instead of investing there monies into military ventures, equipment and research. Seems like a waste of resources, or a population control method. History has proven that all great civilizations will collapse, I hope the US knows this.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Why should we care? Let Iran attack Israel then laugh as Israel wipes out the Middle East. This way we take care of terrorism and don't lose troops to do it! Just watch the news as the Jews triumph over Middle East Countries and wait for the oil prices to go down.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Full Metal
Why should we care? Let Iran attack Israel then laugh as Israel wipes out the Middle East. This way we take care of terrorism and don't lose troops to do it!

This is a ridiculous post. Don't read it.

I'm only going to ask you one question:

You think the Middle East has the monopoly on terrorism??

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 03:27 AM
link   
How quaint, Israelis telling other people how the UN charter should be respected.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Nu...

...what else can one do?

Israel is a long-standing member of the United Nations with the same rights and obligations as every other member.

It has to be recalled in particular that, under the United Nations Charter, all members have undertaken to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Kicking Iran out of the UN would be an utterley stupid thing to do.

We can forget any type of co-operation, weapon inspector or nuclear program inspector access if that happens.

Kicking Iran out of the UN would result in an invasion of Iran in the near future. Because we will have no monitoring going on in Iran and all the nuclear weapon program paranoia nutcases will come out of the woodwork again. It will be a repeat of Iraq.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 05:14 AM
link   

It has to be recalled in particular that, under the United Nations Charter, all members have undertaken to refrain from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state.

and how many times as this been broken?

Remember Israel did threaten to bomb Iran just two weeks ago.
United States has made tens of threats.
As has Russia, China and many others.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join