It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

wot the hells up with nintendo

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
Nintendo shot themselvs in the foot with there obsession with Pokemon sure they brought out other games but who notices the tiny Nintendo stands in stores?
The games who played Donkey Kong have grown up and the next generation of gamers probaly arent old enough to hold a remote.
Mayabe Nintendo should have brought the likes of Sim 3000/4 over to the game cube to carter for people who cant stand Pokemon like me.

Pokémon is the second best selling video-game series in history with over a hundred million games sold; that is not shooting yourself in the foot.

And you obviously don't see that Nintendo is the only one look to expand gaming outside of the 10-19 year old demographic.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
My 5 year old 7 year old and nine year old all have their own game boys. To saves more fights they all have their own pokemon game. It drives me batty, they speak another language but they love it. I have a pic of my son falling asleep with his pokemon game still going in front of him.

I don't think they are going wrong by all the attention on Pokemon..its a lifestyle...

but gees i could do with a nw game

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
My 5 year old 7 year old and nine year old all have their own game boys. To saves more fights they all have their own pokemon game. It drives me batty, they speak another language but they love it. I have a pic of my son falling asleep with his pokemon game still going in front of him.

I don't think they are going wrong by all the attention on Pokemon..its a lifestyle...

but gees i could do with a nw game

The kids these days are STILL going on about Pokemon??

Geez...it was HUGE when I was in 4th and 5thg grade, about 6 years ago. Everybody was into it for about a year, then we all opened our eyes and left it. But I thought it died out a few years after that. Damn...kids today.

posted on Nov, 16 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
That's the thing with chidlren, every few years there is a new generation to target with the same stuff

yoyo crazes and so on, they come around every so often
kids bands are the best idea like the wiggles... every two yeas thousands and thousands of new lkids to buy the records... and pay money to listen to concerts.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Nintendo haters...pfft.

This is gonna be a fun console war. I seriously don't see PS3 making the big splash. If they do, big props to them. 360 will get to hold the new console market for a while. Big plus to them.

Nintendo is gonna do what they are gonna do. Nothing is gonna stop that. They still make money. Why? With Nintendo, you buy the base, then the accessories. Accessories? The games. Most of their big games are Nintendo titles. Not Capcom, Square-Enix, etc. Sony nor Microsoft has that. Or not to the degree Nintendo does.

The controller system for it is weird. Fine. So was the N64's OMGIGAHIMH controller. And the Gamecube's was weird too. Especially with them changing out the Z-trigger and putting it with the R button.

But, feh on it anyway. We probably have the better part of a year to get a good look at it.

I'm looking forward to trying out the 360. Hopefully, they won't get the game shaft of game shafts again. It had, hands down, the worst good game/bad game ratio this past time. And, most of the good games were just reissues of PS2 games.

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:22 PM
link   
In my 22 yrs on this planet, I have owned every single videogame system ever released even crap like Turbografix and Sega CD. I have been involved in the world of gaming for as long as I could pick up a controller and play. I have seen the market grow to becoming bigger than movies and music COMBINED.

With that said, I am among many other gamers who feel that the industry has reached an oversaturation point today. What I mean is that the market is flooded with crap titles and true AAA gems are far and between. Regardless, I think Sony and Microsoft are really killing what Nintendo and Sega and to an extent Atari have built. I do not take sides in console wars because it is pointless to argue with 12 yr old children who feel they are "L33T" or whatever retarded lingo they use.

The point of this post is to bring to light the facts involved with making money in videogame land. All console makers LOSE massive sums of money on the actual sale of the console. The console is used to create a base. Profit comes from the sale of games. This is what Nintendo is absolute master of with its laundry list of mascots and flagship system selling games. This is where Nintendo will always reign as long as 8 yr old kids are taking their parents shopping.

Yes Microsoft has Halo 2 which I have played in over 3000 online games in, and PS2 has MGS which I consider the last of the great franchises but what else? I know plenty of you can post 20 titles or so for each system but the ironic reality is, as the industry has grown, the overall quality of titles has dropped off dramatically.

Xbox 360 looks like Xbox 1.5 I am not impressed.
PS3 looks as promising as did PS2 but the actual power of the PS2 was greatly exaggerated.

Nintendo always has the "WTF" of the gaming world everytime they release a new console. But it always works for them. Why? Because Mario, Link, Pokemon, Donkey Kong and the rest of the 1st party titles will all pull in millions of sales. This is why Nintendo is a money maker for its entire history.

If PS3 sells 100 million units with maybe 1 or 2 FIRST PARTY titles selling Platinum.

And Nintendo sells 25 million units but has dozens of platinum FIRST PARTY titles... who makes more money?

Think about it.... its not Sony.

And please no fanboy flaming, I could care less what system you ally yourself with.

BTW I will not be getting a 360. But I will look at PS3 and the Revolution.

Come get spanked on live in Halo 2. My gamertag is ENDOFWORLD2012

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Obviously Nintendo is trying to appeal to the female demographic with the design of the new controller.
Nudge Nudge

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by RebelSaint

With that said, I am among many other gamers who feel that the industry has reached an oversaturation point today. What I mean is that the market is flooded with crap titles and true AAA gems are far and between. Regardless, I think Sony and Microsoft are really killing what Nintendo and Sega and to an extent Atari have built.

You might be too young to remember but Atari did the same thing they really started the home consoles and nearly killed them off as well with crap like ET and Pacman (atari version) and a long list of utter crap games. They produced more copies of ET then Atari consoles and the game was garbage. They even had to bury millions of games like that in the desert cause they couldnt sell them. Sadly there was truley good games that were lost in the flood of all that crude. But when a father went to a store he would get a bunch of crap 5 buck games for his kid instead of a good one for 30 bucks, heck more presents to wrap and parent rarely knew which game is good and which is crude.

Then NES and later Sega Gensis came and saved the home console market. Sega went on to shoot themselves in the foot when they screwed thier fans with crap like sega CD, 32X, Saturn. Then when they finally made a good system the Dreamcast it was already too late and alot of fans jumped ship and waited for PS2 to come out.

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I hate Nintendo, I use to love them but then they came out with the Nintedno DS, my initials, and now my friends won't stop calling me Hand Held and other bs names.

Should have just called it "Big Crappy broke in 3 days Game Boy" instead of DS.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I think that Nintendo make some great games. They do. They make strange yet admittably comfortable controllers. They make good handhelds, though they keep updating their old ones. And I think that the Revolution will blow everything else out the water, as it's the one provoking any innovation with it's queer controller, and possible intuitiveness. Who isn't interested in playing old games for free? I know I am. I always had a sweet spot for Dizzy of the NES generation. The one thing I have to criticise Nintendo for, is ignoring the Europe market. Unlike everyone else, I don't want to play with a dog in a DS. I've already got 3 real ones.
I want to play other innovative games on the DS, but they take forever to come out. It's always such a shaky schedule to get a DS game, either it takes time to translate games which are Japanese, or Nintendo wants to focus on America.
I think Nintendo should hurry up, and speed up PAL conversions.
That's my bit.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacDonagh
Who isn't interested in playing old games for free? I know I am.

Actually, the downloadable NES, SNES and N64 games will have a fee that is yet to be disclosed.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zurahn

Actually, the downloadable NES, SNES and N64 games will have a fee that is yet to be disclosed.

I hope they dont price them too high theres no way I will pay more then $5-10 bucks for a NES game. Especially since I can rip them off the net for free. But I dont get that home console feel so I would part with a few bucks to be able to do that again on my TV.

I also hope once you buy them their yours and its not run as some monthly fee where you get access to a bunch but have to keep paying every month.

posted on Dec, 1 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
From what I've heard, all first party games (which is most of the good ones) will be free. However the third party developers can charge a fee if they wish. Thank goodness Nintendo make's it's own excellent games.

posted on Dec, 2 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
isn't there gonna be graphical improvements as well? I would like to play Mario 64 with some refined graphics.

<< 1   >>

join