It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

wot the hells up with nintendo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 10:20 AM
link   
theyve made the ds-a failure,
the micro- smaller version of the gameboy-£70 are you mad,
and a crazy revolution control
what happened to the good old days

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Yes it does seem nintendo are going downhill but hey they've always been weird
you spelt what wrong

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   
before they use to be great new exciting games but everyones grown out of them

p.s. wot is short hand for what

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
DS is pretty awesome, and the Revolution controller is the next step in gaming evolution. The motion sensitivity allows for unparrelled possiblities.

Now although Gamecube could have had a better lineup, Nintendo doesn't go by anybodies standards. Nintendo sets it's own standards goes by them, and if you don't like them then they don't really care. It's how they've been operating for years, doing their own little thing. And to be honest, I like what they're doing.

It's a lot better than Sony and Microsoft who concentrate only on competing with eachother and neglect the concept of inovation.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
have you seen tall them games for this movement sensor theyre all jokes baseball, drums tennis, cooking (a big why), conduvcting, fishing, dentist(another big why), jumping mario, flyswatting to name a few are all gimmicks

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Those were simply demonstrations for the purpose of well, demonstrating the technology. Not much else. But an intersting tidbit, they did actually have a special version of Metroid Prime 2 adapted to use the Revolution controller, good impressions according to IGN.

As for actual games, apparently Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong are involved somehow. As for confirmed games I know off the top of my head, theres Splinter Cell 4 and Super Smash Bros. Revolution (tentative title). So I wouldn't say they're not doing anything interesting with the technology.

And if you'd watched the whole teaser trailer you would have noticed shooting and swordfighting. Not much of a joke if you ask me. But hey, at the moment most of whats been seen outside Nintendo's offices is just demonstators.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 06:32 AM
link   
but it seem sto me now they are aiming for a childs market, if you look at the ds games they do seem theyre made for kids, but hopefully as you say they will pull their finger out and make good shooting and sword fighting games that dont go to the back of my shelves with the more recent games

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 09:07 PM
link   
The DS is outselling the PSP worldwide.

The Game Boy Micro is simply a redesign of the GBA, nothing to get all annoyed about -- simply another option.

And Revolution is going to bring something new to the stagnant game pool and at an affordable price. Microsoft and Sony selling consoles at a premium price while offering little beyond what current generation consoles provide beyond gussied-up visuals. It's not the same as the advent of 3D where power brought new gaming experiences -- we've reached sandbox gaming, there's nowhere power can take us.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mik0001000
but it seem sto me now they are aiming for a childs market, if you look at the ds games they do seem theyre made for kids, but hopefully as you say they will pull their finger out and make good shooting and sword fighting games that dont go to the back of my shelves with the more recent games

Nintendo is aiming at expanding the gaming audience beyond the male ages 13-24.

Please name a game for the DS that is marketed to children. And before you go ahead and post Nintendogs, that is possibly the largest seller to the much ignored female audience and also helps reach that wider audience I mentioned previously.

The DS also has the online enabled Metroid Prime: Hunters in development to be released early '06.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78

Now although Gamecube could have had a better lineup, Nintendo doesn't go by anybodies standards. Nintendo sets it's own standards goes by them, and if you don't like them then they don't really care. It's how they've been operating for years, doing their own little thing. And to be honest, I like what they're doing.

if they dont go by what everyone in the industry is doing they will get buried! they released the game cube compeating with x-box and PS2 both which have better games and online ability.

microsoft will own the compitition with the new 360, then nentendo will have a lot more catching up to do.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
In my opinion, Gamecube has better games. Super Smash Bros. Melee IMO beats everything, even Halo. Then toss in Mario Kart, Metriod Prime 1 & 2, Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, Geist, etc. Pretty good stuff, and they're all Nintendo exclusive.

It's hard to say if Nintendo's strategy will pay off financially. Although they're doing a great service to gaming, even Nintendo needs large numbers of customers to buy their stuff.

However I think Nintendo has found a goldmine strategy for Revolution. By ignoring the competition they're able to stay true to what they do best, and that is make fun games.

This I think will allow them to dominate two massive areas of the market that are extremely profitable, but mostly untapped. The first being the non-stereotypical gamer. The other being the gamer who is in it purely for entertainment. This is the kind of gamer who wants entertainment.

The movie based equivilent is like the guy who loves action sequences, but doesn't really care for all the poorly written drama. This is the kind of gamer Nintendo is marketing towards. The kind who wants to cut through the BS and be entertained.

In the end it's all marketing, especially considering Nintendo is shooting for an audience that is almost never marketed towards. But if done right Nintendo could see massive profits while revolutionizing gaming as we know it.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
IDK Nintendo is doing some innovative things. I really have no idea why they made the micro...I mean...come on wtf am I going to do with that screen. Does a microscope come with it or do I have to buy that seperate? The revolution, if what they say about it is true will be awesome, bringing the old school games into play. The controller however odd, brings some interesting concepts into gaming.

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The reason I don't have a Gamecube is primarily because of two things:

1. No DVD compatibility
2. Limited library

The library on the PS2 is quite a bit bigger then the GCs. Some people balk when they heard that the GC is a "system for kids." Lots of them still love playing the various games for it. But still, the GC doesn't have games that appeal to me.

The dual-screen is kinda neat. It was ballsy for Nintendo to release something different like that, but I have to give them credit and I think the risk is paying off. As for Sony, the PSP is beyond state-of-the-art. Awesome system. Only issues I have is the battery life for the unit. I don't have time or finances for either system right now.

The micro looks way too small. Insanely small. I can see people having lots of trouble controlling it and looking at it, but worse, it looks like something that can be very easily misplaced. I don't think this will pan out for Nintendo. Nintendo had lots of unique and innovative hardware from ROB to the Virtual Boy that just never panned out.

I think one issue might be the steadfastness to which Nintendo clings to it's franchises, like Mario and StarFox. Of course, these are not bad franchises at all. If they can do innovative and fun things with them, more power to them. (Only concern is when they start getting wierd - case in point - Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix. DDR versions already existed for the XBox (Ultramixes 1, 2, and soon 3) and Playstation 2 (Max, Max 2, Extreme, Extreme 2) but there wasn't any for the GC. If there was, I might've gotten one. Anyways, the thing was they took the pre-existing DDR series and wham - they branded it with Mario, which in my opinion was somewhat unnecessary, not all that innovative, and odd. However, we'll see how this pans out - it might be a winning move for Nintendo in the end.

[edit on 29-10-2005 by Toxic Fox]

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 02:35 AM
link   
To be fair the DS was never designed to match the PSP in raw power. They already have another hand held system in the works for that. They better hope they dont lose control of the hand held markey since that is what kept them for going the way of Sega after the failure that was Game cube in this round of the console wars.

The revolution I dont know its not going to even come close to the raw power of PS3 or XBOX360. The fact that they are going to let you download any NES,SNES,N64 or Gamecude game on it is a good move (I might get one just for that reason). But I think there real strategy is going to be putting it out at a far lower price then the other two.

The Revolution controller
man thats a gamble but I wont pass a verdict until I use it. But first impression is pretty bad looks like a TV remote and a NES controller had a unholy baby.

Nintendo better get their butts in gear or they are heading the way of SEGA. Mario and Zelda wont keep them afloat for ever.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
To be fair the DS was never designed to match the PSP in raw power. They already have another hand held system in the works for that. They better hope they dont lose control of the hand held markey since that is what kept them for going the way of Sega after the failure that was Game cube in this round of the console wars.

The revolution I dont know its not going to even come close to the raw power of PS3 or XBOX360. The fact that they are going to let you download any NES,SNES,N64 or Gamecude game on it is a good move (I might get one just for that reason). But I think there real strategy is going to be putting it out at a far lower price then the other two.

The Revolution controller
man thats a gamble but I wont pass a verdict until I use it. But first impression is pretty bad looks like a TV remote and a NES controller had a unholy baby.

Nintendo better get their butts in gear or they are heading the way of SEGA. Mario and Zelda wont keep them afloat for ever.

Nintendo is in a strong position in the handheld market. The DS is soundly ahead of the PSP having sold approximately 8 million systems to date, with an estimated lead of at least 2 million. Even the GBA on occassion is topping the PSP in Japan and Europe. And as you have stated, the true successor to the Game Boy hasn't even been released yet.

As for the Revolution controller, the analog attachment with its 2 trigger buttons removes most button issues, and the main concept with the remote-style is the detection of motion on a 3D plane. Nintendo has also announced new IPs for launch of the Revolution.

And Nintendo is going nowhere. Nintendo was the only company making money in the previous generation and has billions in profits stored away. Sega collapsed due to financial woes (the Dreamcast only had $100 million behind its launch). Yes a poorly selling Revolution could do serious damage, I highly doubt that considering the minimal impressiveness I've seen from the competition, as well as the high-points.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Looking around the internet and talking with people I know, I've seen very little confidence in the PS3. At this point it's hard to tell if it'll be good or not, but so far only the Sony fanboys seem to really be in support of the PS3. Also if they market it for $400-700 that'll further cut at their sales.

If PS3 isn't a major competitor then it'll come down to X-Box 360 vs. Revolution. From the support I'm seing, I'm expecting 360 to have the most sales this time around, but Nintendo is expected to make massive profits from Revolution judging from the support it's getting.

However Nintendo's strategy isn't to directly compete with either of the two systems. Apparently they don't care if you buy another system, all they care about is if you buy their system. So my theory is that Nintendo will not only see sales from Nintendo fans, but also people who buy both 360 and Revolution. I figure Nintendo can expect people to buy both 360 and Revolution since they're so different. X-Box 360 will promise high powered gaming and Revolution will promise inovative gaming. That and the ability to download retro games was a genius move that will probably be responsible for making more sales than Nintendo needs to stay in the business.

posted on Nov, 6 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Hrm, if MS sells out on launch day its most likely because they have engineered the launch to allow them to claim "sold out" status by limiting the number of units per store. I could quote a bunch of bits from an article, but go here and read up on it for yourself: bit-tech.net

And Revolution is going to bring something new to the stagnant game pool and at an affordable price. Microsoft and Sony selling consoles at a premium price while offering little beyond what current generation consoles provide beyond gussied-up visuals. It's not the same as the advent of 3D where power brought new gaming experiences -- we've reached sandbox gaming, there's nowhere power can take us.

Sony and MS differ a bit here in the new hardware, while Microsoft has sided with what soon will be antequated Power-PC based chips, Sony has taken a great leap in trusting Intel's Cell Processor. Apple isint even going to stick with the Power-PC, which makes me wonder how wise an idea that was on their behalf.

Another thing I would like to hit on mentioned in the above quote is that MS and Sony don't develop the majority of the games on their systems; last I heard Neversoft, Rockstar, and Square Enix were their on development firms and not owned by MS or Sony. The direction games take overally for a platform is based partially on the ideas of the developers and also on what is allowed or permitted by the console company, which has final say on licensing and such. Its really unfair to say a company goes one way or another, its a collaborative effort.

The statement about power "taking us nowhere" and graphics being the only selling point of MS and Sony is rather ill-informed, as the biggest part of the machines isint actually the GPUs, its the CPUs, which do completely different things. The CPUs alone on the new line of systems will allow for more complicated physics in games, handling higher numbers of players, improved performance and load times (for the fps[frames per second] nuts), more complicated game AI, and a host of other features swimming around the developers minds.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zurahn

And Nintendo is going nowhere. Nintendo was the only company making money in the previous generation and has billions in profits stored away.

Are you kidding? Nintendo got killed on the last gen console wars comming in a solid last place behind Sony and Microsoft. PS2 controls 70 percent of the global console market making billions in profits.

[url=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=9622]http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=9622[/ url]

Nintendo did however dominate in the Handheld market crushing would be contenders to the crown like N-cage. Thats the only thing that made them profits.

posted on Nov, 7 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I think one of the main reasons everyone is against the Revolution--or at least the controller anyways--is because it isn't like the XBox or PS2 was. It's hard to imagine the possibilities with it because no one's really had anything like that before. Imagine playing a baseball game where you can actually swing at the ball, instead of just trying to push the button at the right time--if you get a home run, then you have a bit more to be proud of

As far as the games go, I think Nintendo will do fine. Everyone else is making the kill-everything-while-high-on-drugs-with-half-naked-women games. That's fine for a certain demographic, but if you've got an 8 year old who's bored out of their mind, wouldn't you rather have him/her playing Link or Mario? If you want a shooter, go with Sony or MS, the companies marketing to the older (and most often male) audience. Not every game needs to be the antisocial, legislation-seeking work from Rockstar.

I (like most I'm sure) have yet to really see enough from all three of the consoles to determine which would probably end up being best. I think MS is shooting themselves in the foot with the HD/non-HD packages--it'd be better for developers to know for sure that the gamer's got that or not. The controller for the Revolution is about the only thing I have seen that has caught my eye.

As far as Nintendogs goes, I'll admit that I'm thinking about getting a DS just that one. Looks like one of the best "virtual pet" games I've ever heard of. I'd like to have taken a look at the AI code for that one...

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Nintendo shot themselvs in the foot with there obsession with Pokemon sure they brought out other games but who notices the tiny Nintendo stands in stores?
The games who played Donkey Kong have grown up and the next generation of gamers probaly arent old enough to hold a remote.
Mayabe Nintendo should have brought the likes of Sim 3000/4 over to the game cube to carter for people who cant stand Pokemon like me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join