It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth's Rotation, we are Toast !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Wow now this would suck, the earth spining off it's axis, tumbling over and over until it equalizes with the poles as the equator all because of snow and ice build up in Greenland and the Antarctic ?

Hmmmmmmm, I thought we were all going to die from Global Warming and drowning in newly formed oceans and land loss from all of the snow and ice melt and glaciers breaking away ?

I wish these guys would make up there minds on how we are all going to die!

Earth's rotation can lead to the Deluge

10/17/2005 22:45

Pravda / english edit

Snows of Antarctica and Greenland are harbouring danger.

The world rotates round its axis. This fact does not seem to cause any fear or worry. However, the dangers are lurking about every bend.

This snow forms a so-called icy dumbbell the, which increases in size every year. This is where the danger is lurking. It is well-known that the rotating dumbbell tends to hold a posture that is perpendicular to the axis of rotation.

english.pravda.ru...

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I could be wrong but I remember seeing that pravda.ru is not a very reliable source. What they are saying though does seem to make some sense.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
or,

The Allegory of the Spinning Top

Picture a top spinning right after you throw it, nice and tight, very little deviation. After a bit, it begins to slow down some, and it starts to wobble. The wobble slowly increases until wild oscillations force the top over on its side, and it spins out. Wobble Theory. I'm not sure how well the metaphor holds up, but the Earth's wobble seems to be slowly increasing.

Now I've found this link that deals with a past comet impact causing a roll in the Earth's rotation.

Precession of the Earth's Axis

There is also evidence of the Earth's Magnetic Field, which may be shifting, as well, playing a roll in some of this. The Magnetic North Pole keeps shifting northwestward, I believe, and the magnetic poles seem to reverse periodically, too. Fascinating.

Earth's Inconstant Magnetic Field

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This sounds similar to Graham Hancock's slipping crust theory he elaborated in "Fingerprints of the Gods" where the earth's poles got too heavy with ice and snow and the wobble caused the crust to slip on the molten core. Not sure how realistic that is though.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Hmmm. Interesting.

But seems to me several factors are coming together now - as Icarus Rising points out.

FYI - this all has happened before - and does NOT necessarily mean we are "toast." The outcome probably depends on just how much the oil and gas industry has damaged the planet's structural integrity.

Ie, see: Quakes trigger Quakes.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
It is well-known that the rotating dumbbell tends to hold a posture that is perpendicular to the axis of rotation.

Maybe to people who are unfamiliar with the concept of conservation of angular momentum it is “well known.”

BTW wasn’t the northern hemisphere covered with mile thick sheets of ice in the last ice age?

Here is an interesting analysis of the phenomena.
mb-soft.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Hancock was discussing Hapgood's Earth Crust Displacement theory. Basically the ice caps build up so much ice, and weight, that it throws off the Earth's spin. The poles become the equator and the equator becomes the poles. In his theory he discuss the frozen mammoths with undigested clover in their stomach, i.e. they froze so fast they didn't have time to finish eating. There is tons of other "evidence" that escapes me right now, if you believe it.

The book 5/5/2000 also discuss the same concept but stated that May 5th 2000 was the day the displacement should have occurred due to a conjunction of all the gas giants in our solar system. After it didn’t happen I think the author said we were saved by Aliens or something, part of the whole treaty with the Aliens thing….

This seems to be a decent summary of Earth Crust Displacement
www.skrause.org...

Google Earth Crust Displacement for more!

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The average diameter of the Earth is 12742 km.

The continental crust ranges from 30 to 40 km thick (up to 80 under major mountain ranges).

Have you ever heard of the comparison of the apple? If an apple represents the Earth, then the skin represents the oceans and the crust.

Think of the principle of conservation of angular momentum.

The slipping crust theory is B.S.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 08:35 PM
link   
This is jsut silly. The earth is massive, and has never tumbled about its axis like these people are suggesting. This is from pravda, not a geosciences magazine, that should tell ya sumtin.

yes, the axis goes thru a precession of the equinoxes, yes the degree of tilt of the earths axis goes thru cycles, and yes the eccentricty of the earth's orbit goes thru cycles, and yes, the magnetic poles (not the geographic ones), change throughout history.

But this stuff is baseless.

[edit on 21-10-2005 by Nygdan]

top topics

join