It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Opinions of Suicide

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by garyo1954
People say that it's your body and all that other stuff but when it's all said and done, I bet you will think differently.

If you would understand correctly, that statement referred to the people that helplessly watch as someone they love is going over the edge. Not something you should joke about.

GoldEagle

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
As stated above; your body is your body. We should all have the right to take our own life if we feel so. However; teen suicide has been very high in my area in the last two years; and i live in a population of 20,000 people. So to see a high rate in such a low population is alarming. To see young teens commit suicide i almost see it as selfish; to willingly harm your family like that and leave them in the complete devastation and blaming themselves for the rest of their lives is nothing less than selfish.

I havent quote it; but the comment earlier which i loved. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem; that hits the nail on the head their.

Is attempted-suicide a crime? Deffinately not! Should they be mentally tested; of course.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I don't know the answer to this, but of my opinion I believe that it shouldn't be illegal. There are some people that believe that to leave this life and go on to the next is an honor.
I have gone through periods of time where I thought of taking my own life. But as things go, it never happened, thank goodness. I would have missed out on a lot.
But anyway there is a million ideas as what happens after death, but there is only one thing I know for sure, those who are dead know the truth.
The other thing is this, if you listen to "Suicide is Painless", the theme song from the movie "MASH" it sure says a lot of truth about Suicide.

posted on Dec, 14 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I believe, that suicide is taking the easy way out. There is nothing that you can't get over, a break-up, bankruptcy, whatever the case may be.

Smoking is a form of slow suicide, alcoholism is another slow form of suicide.

Just beacuse life get's you down, doesn't mean you should kill yourself. I should know, I'm 32 & I've been in the meat grinder for most of My life, but now I'm the one turning the handle on that meat grinder.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Suicide is too much grief. Now in my opinion suicide is giving up, beign a quitter. I've had thoughts of suicide at my darkest times, but I've always pulled through. Now about your point, yes a persons life is a persons life but killing yourself is also beign selfish, its not fair for the people around you. It does'nt only affect you, it effects everyone who you know, therefre ruining other peoples lives and thats why it should remain illegal.

posted on Sep, 10 2006 @ 12:20 PM
link   
As a person who rarely wakes without absolute disgust and dread at spending yet another day as "me". I can honestly say that suicide in such a situation benefits none.

My issues are "mental". There are naturally other factors, up bringing, family history, environmental, governmental and socio-economic...they all lend themselves to this loverly self loathing.

Thing is, that at the root of it all, I know that I make a difference in this crap hole of a life. I dare anyone to prove that they don't.

Even the bum on the corner contributes in some way...people are affected either positively or negatively and then they carry that and transfer it along.

We are all connected. I have lost friends to suicide. I honestly can't sit back and say that I agree with their views...that they had nothing to live for, nothing to give or gain.

Some people aren't in the head space to make balanced choices due to factors beyond their control. Suicide is a short term fix for many and they can't fathom life beyond the immediate situation.

Now if I were to look at my own life...and really think about how crappy it's been and focus only that, I'm sure I could bring myself to a point of "poor me" severe enough to down a handful of pills...it has been consistently crap, and honestly I don't see it changing anytime soon...so should I just spare myself the agony and take myself out?

Not likely. Call it a martyrdom if you like. Fine by me if it keeps me here, feeling like crap, long enough to see my daughter find success and happyness.

Legally - I have to agree that my body is mine and mine alone. But holy crap I would hope that if I ever fell so far into a wallow of self pity and loathing that someone would reach out and try to help me see beyond the moment.

There is just too much we can't see when we get so down...the next day may be just as crappy and we may feel the same or worse...but isn't there even a glimmer of curiosity or at best a little hope that it might be less of a pain in the ass to be alive?

Again...my situation is in my opinion rather bleak. At best I'll be able to keep my Disability for life and have a meager income. I'll have the illnesses forever. I'll always suffer the dread of being me...day after day...ad nauseum...but to just call it quits? As much as I wish I never existed (there's a difference) I don't think I could ever kill myself. How long is a moment? Maybe I'm not weak enough or is that strong enough? I dunno...

There's a reason I'm here. Hell if I know what it is, but I'll play along.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join