It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Friend on Effexor Confesses to Bizarre Murder

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Ok Hollywood Hogan,

I get your little "jabs" in your comments. Yeah, I spent time working in Scientology. Do you want me to apologize for helping people? Before Scientology I was into nutrition and supplemenation as I still am today. You are attacking something you obviously don't understand.

I myself know what depression is, I know what rage is, and I know many of the uncomfortable thoughts. I know what it's like not to want to live, so I know the dark side very well. But I never once used these medications to handle them.

And I've seen the non-caring teenager on these types of drugs, my Sister-in-law's brother. I know the kid who put a belt around his throught and beat himself while he was influenced by drugs like Ritalin, my cousin's son. Hell no, I'm not going to support this stuff. I don't appologize for my position on this.

And you don't have to be a Scientologist to understand the crimes that are being committed on the people of this world. I would say the person who started this thread allready understands this all too well.

That's it for now,

Much love,

Troy

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
Ok Hollywood Hogan,

I get your little "jabs" in your comments. Yeah, I spent time working in Scientology. Do you want me to apologize for helping people? Before Scientology I was into nutrition and supplemenation as I still am today. You are attacking something you obviously don't understand.
[...]

WOW. In addition to coping with depression I am also psychic! What are the chances.

So the alternative to using any medication is "scientology". Boy, that's a really hard choice but I think I'll just choose to "not understand". I'm good.

In any case, since I'm all "band-aided" up and your all brainwashed, we can now exist together in suicide-free happiness. Let's throw a pizza party on Mars. You know the way right?

[edit on 9-11-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Can we stay on topic, please.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 07:02 AM
link   
i have tried effexor and many drugs like that and the only ones that worked were xanax and xanax type drugs i Have seen 3 new DR.s and they want to perscribe every drug but the one that works for me. i just believe if you really need this type of drug and they have so many. that you have to find the one that works for you

one mans wine is another mans poison.

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
2nd hand thoughts...............thank u! i love u man! some people DO need these meds. do do do do do!!!!!!! some people cannot think themselves out of PTSD(post traumatic stress) or depression or bi-polar. for those...the NEXT day is what counts. can i make it til tomorrow? for some those drugs work to get them through til tomorrow. i am thankful medicine has advance to this pont or my husband WOULD be dead!!! maybe one day he will get off the meds,having come to terms with his psychological f-ups,until then i am glad he his here to love me.....on his meds. i care for MRDD adults,mrdd meaning mentally retarded developmentally disabled and most of the time mentally ill, 90% of my clients NEED meds,like effexor to function. if the meds don't work for you,don't take 'em......but realize that they DO work for some,

posted on Nov, 9 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
My wife uses Effexor XR and it works very well for her but before that she attempted suicide...

I personally used Zoloft for a while but it had to much effects on my sex life and social life (extremely irritiable).

The only irritable thing I have now is my bowel...

Yeah, Anti-Depressants are bad but they have helped my wife as far as I know.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Folks, I understand you may feel these drugs are doing great things for you. I need only look at the site itself, that's enough to turn me away.

Straight from the site itself:

"Suicide in Children and Teenagers

Antidepressants increased the risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children and teenagers. Patients who are started on therapy should be observed closely for clinical worsening, suicidality, or unusual changes in behavior. EFFEXOR XR® (venlafaxine HCl) is not approved for use in children and teenagers. "

From the about.com website:

"Always Notify Doctor:

More Common: Changes in vision, such as blurred vision; decrease in sexual desire or ability; headache

Less Common: Chest pain; feeling of fast or irregular heartbeat; mood or mental changes; ringing or buzzing in ears

Rare: Convulsions (seizures); itching or skin rash; lightheadedness or fainting, especially when getting up suddenly from a sitting or lying position; lockjaw; menstrual changes; problems in urinating or in holding urine; swelling; talking, feeling, and acting with excitement and activity you cannot control; trouble in breathing

This medicine may also cause the following side effect that your doctor will watch for:

More Common: High blood pressure

Withdrawal Side Effects - Notify Doctor:

Changes in dreaming; dizziness; dryness of mouth; headache; increased sweating; nausea; nervousness; trouble in sleeping; unusual tiredness or weakness

Overdose Effects - Notify Doctor:

Agitation; convulsions (seizures); drowsiness; extreme tiredness or weakness; fast heartbeat; tingling, burning, or prickling sensations; trembling or shaking"

Take care guys,

Troy

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
2nd Hand Thoughts and psychogirl---I am with you guys!! And 2nd Hand thoughts- Psychogirl loves you and so do I!! I was reading through this thread getting so frustrated and trying to figure out how I was going to put into words what I was thinking. Then I read your post, 2nd Hand. I wanted to clap and cheer! You said everything I was thinking! And you spoke eloquently for all the people in the world who do have serious, biomedical - chemical - neurotransmitter imbalances.

I, myself, was diagnosed with Bi-polar when I was 26. When my transmitters (on their own--I don't do drugs-) become imbalanced on the manic side ie too much dopamine , I can't sleep for days, and I cannot eat. The thought of eating repels me. And sleep is 'unnecesary' . Naturally ,after 4 days of not eating, hardly drinking water at all and no sleep. I almost died from dehydration. I became delusional and had hallucinations. All because my neurons have a glitch in the balancing mechanism between Dopamine, Serotonin, Gaba, Noradrenaline and acetytlcholine. I have had this disorder for 15 yrs. now and have done a tremendous amount of self-education.

I could not maintain a full time job or raise my two precious little boys if I did not have a therapist, a doctor, and the proper meds. Cybertroy--( with all due respect )for the lives of people who have serious biomedical neurotransmitter disorders , like myself and 2nd Hand Thoughts pls. try to cultivate some compassion and be smart enough to realize there are no absolutes in life. That means when you say absolutely no one needs meds--you are wrong. Just like if I were to say absolutely everyone who is down should take meds, I would be wrong. Each person must be examined by a professional individually.

And BTW--as far as staying on topic--The original post talked about a girl who got a free sample of effexor, ran out, got some more, was unemployed, seemed to not be honest, and ended up killing her room-mate. Not one of us know enough about this girl to know if she needed it or if it sent her neurotransmitters out of balance. One needs to be carefully monitered. The original post said he couldn't believe they'd hand out free samples only til you get addicted. And that brings up meds and the way they are prescribed and if one should take them or not.

As one can see from Tom and Brooke Shields, it is a very personal and loaded subject. People tend to feel very strongly about it one way or the other. Thing is the brain is an organ of the body just like the pancreas. If your friend had diabetes would you tell them to go take vitamins?

Now, one thing that is very, VERy important is that adults taking meds is entirely, completely, 100% different than children and teenagers taking them. You talked (cybertroy) about your niece and cousin -one a child and one a teenager. I feel so terrible for them and please know you have my compassion and true concern for them. Their brains are so sensitive and still developing and growing. And boy it should be as a last resort to put a young one on meds.

But, look -and pls. hear me on this--for people like me and 2nd Hand and the people Psychogirl takes care of--It was a last resort. I fought it for a long time and tried every natural thing under the sun and even got a B.S. degree form MTSU in Nutrition to try to help. But, when I ended up homeless and wondering the street delusional, thank God the system scooped me up and put me in the state nut house and put thorazine in me to stop the excess Dopamine that was poisoning my system. Because 7 days later I was as sane as anyone else. But, if a depression would hit I couldn't function or work full-time to make money to support my apartment and myself.

We all need to be open to the opinions of others. cybertroy- you are right for alot of people who haven't led nutritionally healthy lives and are mildly bummed. But, pls know me and 2nd Hand are doing what is right for us or I swear we would be dead or homeless. O.K.? I hope this at least got you thinking. As for me, I don't agree w/ Tom but, i've always thought I should read up on scientology just to see what the hoopla is. Seriously, if I can take away something from an L.Ron Hubbard book , I will. But, I'm still gonna take my meds,. at least until I see some other way out.

The thing with the girl who killed her room-mate is that she committed murder. And effexor was in the picture. It should definitly be looked into. But, for every one adult like her, there are people like Andrea Yates who was going through a terrible post-partem psychosis and taking care of 5 kids at the same time. She was getting no constructive help with meds. And no careful monitoring. If she had been treated seriously and not poo-pooed and told to snap out of it and take care of the kids. I mean if she were hospitalized when she knew she had a problem, if she were listened to and given the proper meds until she was totally stable and then moniterred carefully those 5--- five, five children would be alive today. We, as a society and as a health-care system and as a mental health care system and people who don't take mental illness seriously let all five of those precious little angels down.

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   
2nd Hand Thoughts, well said. I support what you have written and it is my opinion too. I have taken a few different anti-depressants over the years, even tried Effexor I believe (didn't work well for me). My current medication is Zoloft and you know what? I can actually live my life within society. I never could - I would be withdrawn, angry, very sad and forever worried. Now I have a girlfriend, a job, a car, a place of my own. I go to work and laugh and talk with everyone there, whereas a few years ago I would of dreaded stepping into an office.

Sure, the drugs aren't the be all, end all. With proper cognitive therapy with the right people I believe in most cases these two things will help most people with depression through. This is from my own personal experience - it works for me. Also you need to WANT for it to work for you.

On a side note, my father suffered major depression. He had the works - psychiatrists, medication, electric shock treatment. I found him hanging in his wardrobe one day as he overdosed on some time of drug (sleeping one?). Anyway he survived that, and a while later actually succeeded in his attempt. In these cases I don't think very much can help people in this situation, but overall IMHO there are people out there that need certain medication to help them through what they are experiencing.

People react differently to different stimuli. If they find solace and happiness and a working social life in scientology, good. If in anti-depressants, great. In natural therapies, fantastic. But they have to find SOMETHING that works for THEM.

Also, it is very hard to guess how someone is feeling depressed (and their level of depression) without actually experiencing it yourself. You may feel sad, overwhelmed, etc but others may be feeling within the very depths of hell itself every second of the day.

I have also felt the withdrawal symptoms from these drugs. The key is to reduce the medication slowly so the body does not have an adverse reaction.

In conclusion, there are varied types of antidepressents. They effect your mind (hopefully for the better). If overall they affect things for the better (eg not killing yourself, getting your life BACK ON TRACK) then that is wonderful. Sure, personally I'd love to get off the drugs and live a normal life but that would be in an ideal world right?

- Nazgarn

posted on Nov, 12 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
I have only experienced a somewhat drier mouth most likely from efxr. I have none of the other side effects. I am an adult and so far my quality of life has improved enabling me to work again and develop social interactions. I have also improved my physical ability because I am no longer exhausted physically or mentally.

To make a blanket statement about all medication prescribed for patients with legitimate and serious conditions requires more explanation than merely listing one single drug's side effects and a horror story or two that may or may not be related to a particular medication. The brain is a physical organ made of tissue and blood vessels that respond to medication physically and then produce intangible changes in thought, mood, etc.

There is an infinite supply of objects and substances that cause people harm while the majority do not share the negative experiences of the minority, e.g. shellfish, penicillin, cars, ointments, pencils, mosquito repellant, etc. Medication FOR high blood pressure, cancer, diabetes, etc. also come with side affects and potential side affects. As I have written before, individuals with these health problems do not irritate and anger self-righteous individuals into telling them that they are wrong for seeking a better life through using those medications that they are prescribed.

Merely changing or attempting to change thought processes by experience reformation and philosophical dogma and a change in "religion" does not "cure" biological problems. It also may work in the short term, as some medications do, yet fail to do so in the long term as some medications also do. Consequently, to use an "alternative" method is not a superior practice even IF medication WAS a bandage because the "alternative" method is also a potential bandage as well.

Furthermore, to criticize from an affiliation with a pseudoscience organization founded by a science-fiction author is at best extremely biased by default and warrants skepticism by default. Especially since the organization in question keeps its methods secret and unreachable for the objective and knowledgeable inquiry from outside practicioners.

To speak down to people that benefit from a registered doctor's care as if those people are all exactly the same in their situations and then in so many words call them unenlightened or weak or misinformed is irresponsible, uninformed, mean-spirited, and also an extremely uncompassionate thing to do. It does not offer a positive example of the "alternative" method. It chases free-thinking people in the opposite direction and I for one believe that in this instance it is a welcome way to keep vulnerable people away from murky deceptions.

EDIT: I have a "drier" mouth and not a "dryer" mouth. That would really be something huh?

[edit on 12-11-2005 by 2nd Hand Thoughts]

posted on Nov, 24 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
If you know of someone that has committed murder or suicide while on Effexor have go to www.justiceseekers.com and file their story. Andy represents my son, in a lawsuit involving Effexor. You can also learn more about these drugs at www.drugawareness.org, www.antidepressantsfacts.com, www.breggin.com, www.prozactruth.com.
Sad part is something as simple as hypoglycemia can cause anxiety and depression. My wife and son were on Paxil and Effexor for what the Doc said was depression and social anxiety disorder. Then after all the adverse reactions they had, which included abnormal dreams, hallucinations, depersonalization, amnesia, psychosis and drug induced mania, we found out they were hypoglycemic, www.alternativementalhealth.com

Jay

posted on Nov, 25 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   
msnevil, Jayboy and others ...

In a situation where these drugs are being used and can cause these
kinds of effects I recommend going to:

www.drugawareness.com...

A site started by the International Co-alition for Drug Awareness
run by a Dr Ann Blake Tracy PhD.

Read the links through the menu on the left !

These drugs do have profound effects but CAN be got off using
the right herbal, essential oils, and diet remedies.

I know some might think...you mean putting smelly oils on you ?->
...but there's a story of using Francensense to combat Cancer
on one of the tapes off this site.

I have listened to Training Tape #59 and the "Help! I Can't Get
off My Anti-Depressant" CD's. The tape is a good intro to the
whole thing and introduces Tracy's singing dog (what her family
uses as an 'anti-depressant' :-) and Dr Tracys' family history of
a Tombstone Sheriff standing between gunfighters...how she feels
standing between 'Big-Pharma' and their victims...

homepage.ntlworld.com...=settler-spirit.mp3

There IS hope ! :-)

djbarney

posted on Nov, 26 2005 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Thanks for the links Jay Boy and djbarney!

Troy

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:41 AM
link   
This site has a ton of articles and information on what the pharma companies are doing to the public:

www.newstarget.com...

Psychiatric Drugs: Chemical Warfare on Humans - interview with Robert Whitaker

Investigative reporter Robert Whitaker, author of the groundbreaking book Mad In America, is now pursuing a fascinating line of research into how the mammoth psychiatric drug industry is endangering the American public by covering up the untold cases of suffering, anguish and disease caused by the most widely prescribed antidepressants and antipsychotic medications.

Whitaker exposes the massive lies and cover-ups that have corrupted the Food and Drug Administration's drug review process, and co-opted research trials in order to spin the results of drug tests and conceal the serious hazards and even deadly side-effects of brand-name drugs like Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil and Zyprexa.

The story becomes even more frightening when we look at the aggressive tactics these giant drug companies have used to silence prominent critics by defaming them in the press, and by using their money and power to have widely respected scientists and eminent medical researchers fired for daring to point out the hazards and risks of suicide and premature death caused by these drugs.

Whitaker starts by debunking the effectiveness of these massively hyped wonder drugs -- antidepressants like Prozac, Zoloft and Paxil, and the new atypical antipsychotic drugs like Zyprexa. His research shows how they often are barely more effective than placebos in treating mental disorder and depression, despite the glowing adulation they have received in the mainstream media.

But he goes on to make the startling claim that these new psychiatric drugs have directly contributed to an alarming new epidemic of drug-induced mental illness. The very drugs prescribed by physicians to stabilize mental disorders in fact are inducing pathological changes in brain chemistry and triggering suicide, manic and psychotic episodes, convulsions, violence, diabetes, pancreatic failure, metabolic diseases, and premature death.

Article Source:
www.newstarget.com...

More articles from this site:

Eli Lilly knew Prozac had 1200% higher suicide rate than other antidepressants

Eli Lilly lied about Prozac, hid suicide evidence, charges Harvard psychiatrist

Experts say antidepressant drugs cause suicides instead of preventing them

And a list of articles about Big Pharma:
www.newstarget.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   
well, I'm now on cymbalta, and I'll have to see if its chemically related to the drugs mentioned above

scary stuff indeed

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
This site has a ton of articles and information on what the pharma companies are doing to the public:

www.newstarget.com...

Psychiatric Drugs: Chemical Warfare on Humans - interview with Robert Whitaker

But he goes on to make the startling claim that these new psychiatric drugs have directly contributed to an alarming new epidemic of drug-induced mental illness. The very drugs prescribed by physicians to stabilize mental disorders in fact are inducing pathological changes in brain chemistry and triggering suicide, manic and psychotic episodes, convulsions, violence, diabetes, pancreatic failure, metabolic diseases, and premature death.

Article Source:
www.newstarget.com...

More articles from this site:

Eli Lilly knew Prozac had 1200% higher suicide rate than other antidepressants

Eli Lilly lied about Prozac, hid suicide evidence, charges Harvard psychiatrist

Experts say antidepressant drugs cause suicides instead of preventing them

And a list of articles about Big Pharma:
www.newstarget.com...

If you read some of the inserts for these medications, they describe that the effect produced is not understood. Something like: "The mechanism for [whatever] is not fully understood, but it is _believed_ to reduce the symptoms of [whatever]..."

The inserts also go on to state that these drugs are known to reduce cognitive abilities, and can in fact produce a psychosis. As far as the antidepressants, they are often referred to as having a "sugar pill" effect, where the relief of symptoms is equivalent to those who are given a placebo.

There's always some type of legislation being pushed by so-called advocates for the proper care of those suffering from mental illness, when in fact they are promoters of the drug companies in disguise, just trying to fatten up the budget for treatment options.

I don't really feel too badly for those that fall under the umbrella of Psy. treatment, because Health Care in gen. is in a degenerative state, as far as I see it. As an experiment, you could go to your local Hospital and check out the Emergency department. Often a bunch of people sitting around, while someone is in urgent need of care.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
well, I'm now on cymbalta, and I'll have to see if its chemically related to the drugs mentioned above

scary stuff indeed

If you read the articles on that website I listed previously, it's easy to see that all of these meds pretty much have the same effects on our brains.

I've been on cymbalta for a couple of years and it seems to work well for me, but after being on several meds for over 6 years... I'm afraid of the permanent damage they're causing.

The last time I got off my meds (about a year ago), I did well on St Johns Wort (until I mysteriously stopped taking it after 6 months). So I'm going to do that again. Plus, my boyfriend and I are going to start growing our own organic foods and herbs in our apartment and try to get onto more of a raw food diet. I think that will help me tremendously.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by psychosgirl
2nd hand thoughts...............thank u! i love u man! some people DO need these meds. do do do do do!!!!!!! some people cannot think themselves out of PTSD(post traumatic stress) or depression or bi-polar. for those...the NEXT day is what counts. can i make it til tomorrow? for some those drugs work to get them through til tomorrow. i am thankful medicine has advance to this pont or my husband WOULD be dead!!! maybe one day he will get off the meds,having come to terms with his psychological f-ups,until then i am glad he his here to love me.....on his meds. i care for MRDD adults,mrdd meaning mentally retarded developmentally disabled and most of the time mentally ill, 90% of my clients NEED meds,like effexor to function. if the meds don't work for you,don't take 'em......but realize that they DO work for some,

psychosgirl,

With all due respect, I think you definitely should read the articles on the website I listed: www.newstarget.com...

Some of these articles state that there is really no such thing as a "chemical imbalance" unless it's induced by antidepressant or antipsychotic drugs. Something in the environment causes people to become depressed (this website also has an extensive list of what the government and military have inflicted on the American population over the years) and then have to get on medication for it (which only makes it worse).

My anxiety and depression is pretty bad and I am currently on cymbalta, but I've been able to control it using St Johns Wort in the past. I'm getting ready to go that route again because I'm truly afraid of what these drugs are doing to me.

There are also a few other herbal supplements available that seem to work really well for people that have no success with St Johns Wort (5-HTP, Rhodiola Rosea, SAMe). I found an introduction to these at this website: www.sjwinfo.org...

I would suggest learning as much as you can about the dangers of these antidepressant medications and try to get him on a natural supplement if possible.

Don't get me wrong... I agree that some people just have to be on the meds... but in my opinion, the people that HAVE to be on them are the ones that have been on them too long and are too hooked to come off of them.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I dont think meds are for everyone, but when you look at the actual statistics of any adverse reactions from them, they are relatively low in the comparison of the amount of people who take them... certainly I think everyone takin them will have some type of reaction but mostly minor negative effects, but I have seen people have severe reactions from them too... and i agree that they are not for everyone, and doctors should be held accountable for givin these medications to patients, as far as there reasoning of why they put an individual on any particular med.. they have there place.

posted on Mar, 7 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

scary stuff indeed

If you read the articles on that website I listed previously, it's easy to see that all of these meds pretty much have the same effects on our brains.

I've been on cymbalta for a couple of years and it seems to work well for me, but after being on several meds for over 6 years... I'm afraid of the permanent damage they're causing.

The last time I got off my meds (about a year ago), I did well on St Johns Wort (until I mysteriously stopped taking it after 6 months). So I'm going to do that again. Plus, my boyfriend and I are going to start growing our own organic foods and herbs in our apartment and try to get onto more of a raw food diet. I think that will help me tremendously.

Depression runs in my family, so I don't know if organics would help me, but please post here in the future if they help you

Cymbalta was a big improvement over effexor, I'll never go back to that.

I hope to be med free someday

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join