It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Roche Under Pressure To Allow A Generic Tamiflu.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Roche is coming under increasing pressure to relax it's worldwide patent on Tamiflu and allow production of generic drugs. Roche has justified it's position by claiming that production is "too complex". This despite claims by the Taiwanese government that they have already analysed Tamiflu and reproduced it. Pressure is coming from the UN, the WHO as well as individual countries at risk, some of whom have threatened to ignore the patent to protect their population.

www.iht.com
Roche, the maker of the main drug that would be used against a possible bird flu epidemic, is under growing pressure to allow production of generic versions of the medicine, with a senior Taiwanese official saying that the country could begin manufacturing it in a couple of months if it received permission.

But Roche and some outside experts say production of the drug, Tamiflu, is so complex and time-consuming that even generic makers could not quickly expand global supplies.

Those putting pressure on Roche, a Swiss company, include the head of the United Nations and health officials in some nations

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Roche are obviously unable to meet current demand for this antiviral and according to a WHO statement up to 150 million worldwide could die.

This is about greed and it's shameful. I can't speak for other countries but the UK has only 2 (4?) million doses of Tamiflu and will not be ready for a pandemic until next year and we have the money to pay for it.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Although I wouldn't trust Tamiflu or a generic drug (because of the evolution of the virus) AND I think herbs are going to be much more effective AND I won't contribute to any pharmalogical giant, this is clearly an attempt to have a monopoly on the market and take advantage (for monetary gain) of a disaster and the people who may be suffering from it! Inexcusable!

This is what is meant by the verse: The love of money is the root of all evil.

[edit on 13-10-2005 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Ah.......The Mark of The Beast......money

this is positively evil. Is the world going to stand by and watch a pharmaceutical company dictate life and death to the world over money?

It is about time people stood up for their basic right to life.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
All the companies that want to make generic tamiflu, they are simply saying 'we want to make this product, but we don't want to pay for it'. Why should Roche permit this? They can make tamiflu, they just have to pay Roche their proper dues, consdiering that they invented it in the first place.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Actually, that is not the case. Roche is refusing to allow anyone else to manufacture the product even under liscence. The threats by some countries to ignore the 'ownership' of Tamiflu, including Taiwan and now India are a consequence of that position.

Incidently, Roche didn't invent Tamiflu and don't hold the patent. An American company (I'll find the name in a minute) owns the patent and licenced it to Roche but the owners have now given notice that the licence will be revoked because Roche aren't acting in the best interests of the product and the patent holders.

Roche can not keep up with international demand and therefore they are putting money and profits before human life.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Really? Well, that is some bull hockey then.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Gilead is the one who patented Tamiflu.

I found this press release on their website:

June 23, 2005--Gilead Sciences, Inc. (Nasdaq:GILD) today announced that it has delivered a notice of termination to F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd (Roche) for material breach of the parties' 1996 Development and License Agreement for Tamiflu(R) (oseltamivir phosphate), an antiviral pill for the treatment and prevention of influenza. Through this action, Gilead is seeking to terminate the 1996 agreement, which would result in the rights to Tamiflu held by Roche reverting to Gilead.

Tamiflu is the only antiviral pill that has demonstrated activity against the most common strains of the virus and is approved for both the treatment and prevention of influenza infection. Ensuring that Tamiflu is made as widely available as possible is necessary for the protection of public health. Gilead intends to provide physicians, public health officials and consumers with greater access to and information about Tamiflu.

"Despite our repeated communication of concerns over the last several years, Roche has not adequately demonstrated the requisite commitment to Tamiflu since its launch in the United States nearly six years ago, nor has it allocated the necessary resources to realize the potential of the product as a treatment and preventive for influenza," said John C. Martin, PhD, President and Chief Executive Officer, Gilead Sciences. "Gilead is taking this action in the interest of our shareholders and, importantly, because it is essential for public health that healthcare professionals and consumers have improved access to information about Tamiflu, as well as to the product itself."

Gilead Delivers Termination Notice to Roche for Tamiflu Development and Licensing Agreement

They also claim that Roche is not paying them all they are owed.

(3) Roche's failure to properly calculate and pay the royalties fairly owed to Gilead.

Does anyone know any more about this? I'm curious if this has been settled or not.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   
thanks JB.

I wonder what other products Roche makes, I'll be willing to boycott their other products and bombard them with letters to get them to reconsider their greedy policy. Why can't they sell or lease the rights to other companies?

Indian Company Says It Can Bring Generic Version of Bird Flu Drug Into Market Early 2006

I hope these pharmaceutical companies go ahead and start production and worry about the legalties later. The world population should not allow such greed to exist when lives and comfort of those afflicted are in question.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 05:51 PM
link   
How about some sugar pills instead.

Avian Flu Shows Resistance to Tamiflu
Many public health experts have pinned their hopes on the antiviral drug Tamiflu to help stem a potential pandemic caused by avian flu, but a new report reveals the virus can become resistant to Tamiflu in some patients.

Roche stocke quotes:
finance.yahoo.com...

Roche prescription products:
www.roche.com...

Would suggest you put in a stop loss on ROG cause it might tank soon.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
GREAT find John Bull - and very pertinent issue.

FYI - this business of patents/intellectual property rights affects numerous other things in our world today. So far, the laws protecting corporations right to profit have ruled.

...Not that it's not a thorny issue, but...

top topics

join