It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: New Orleans Police Beating Caught on Tape

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
One Police beating, of an elderly man was caught on tape and another Associated Press producer was assaulted by another Police officer. The New Orleans Police Department said they will investigate the attack.

news.yahoo.com
NEW ORLEANS - At least one police officer repeatedly punched a 64-year-old man accused of public intoxication, and another officer assaulted an Associated Press Television News producer as a cameraman taped the confrontations.

There will be a criminal investigation, and three New Orleans Police Department officers will be suspended Sunday, arrested and charged with simple battery, Capt. Marlon Defillo said.

"We have great concern with what we saw this morning," Defillo said after he and about a dozen other high-ranking police department officials watched the APTN footage Sunday. "It's a troubling tape, no doubt about it. ... This department will take immediate action."

The assaults come as the department, long plagued by allegations of brutality and corruption, struggles with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and the resignation last month of Police Superintendent Eddie Compass.

The APTN tape shows an officer hitting the man at least four times in the head Saturday night as he stood outside a bar. The suspect, Robert Davis, appeared to resist, twisting and flailing as he was dragged to the ground by four officers. Another officer then kneed Davis and punched him twice. Davis was face-down on the sidewalk with blood streaming down his arm and into the gutter.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am shocked...

In the last few months, New Orleans has been a hot bed of Press Activity, primarily around the Hurricane and the Police Response to the action and this...these actions to a 64 year old man, is disgusting.

I hope that the film involves these people, and their abuse of power, to be heavily punished and hopefullly send a message to any other officers who will get involved in such things.

The Police are meant to protect the people and far too often they do not.

posted on Oct, 9 2005 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Another (ad-less) link to the video:
www.wwltv.com.../101005beat.wmv

Ok, is it just me or did the man not start "resisting" until that one officer started to wail on the back of his head? Watch the first few seconds of the video.

As for the guy at the end who pushed the tv producer against the car....that was way out of line. Being in NO "six weeks trying to survive" doesn't give you the right to act like a nazi.

[edit on 10/9/2005 by Flinx]

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   

news.yahoo.comThree New Orleans police officers pleaded not guilty Monday to battery charges based on a videotape showing two patrolmen repeatedly punching a 64-year-old man accused of public intoxication and a third officer grabbing and shoving an Associated Press Television News producer who helped capture the confrontation on tape

After a brief hearing, at which trial was set for Jan. 11, the officers were released on bond. They quickly left in cars without commenting.

I thought I would bring the story to the next step, where the Police even after being caught on film [Kinging someone] have attempted to plead not guilty.

I find it odd, with the level of evidence how any defence council will attempt to argue this unless they try to show the old man was a threat to the Police and innocent people, which I find highly unlikly.

posted on Oct, 10 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
They were probably ordered to plead not guilty, since a guilty plea would be equilvalent to a vigilantie death sentence... for them, and perhaps all police.

remember... it is still the wild west down there...

as to whether they will be found guilty, hell yeah... or that very same mob will hang the judge...

all the police are stressed... NOT all are attacking old drunks. They need to offer these guys a day or week off and get out of state police to fill in.

The DEFENSE: at this point, the defense will be extenuating circumstances due to the extreme stress on the officers that didn't leave... due to the command that they couldn't leave... for any reason...
so in essence, they will say that Ray Nagen made them do it...

BS... they lost control, and need to be punished just like anyone who loses control...

Between caddy stealing, the looting, and the violence, I am surprised that the entire force hasn't been suspended to perform an inquiry and investigation.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   

news.yahoo.com
A retired elementary teacher who was repeatedly punched in the head by police in an incident caught on videotape said Monday he was not drunk, put up no resistance and was baffled by what happened.

Robert Davis said he had returned to New Orleans to check on property his family owns in the storm-ravaged city, and was out looking to buy cigarettes when he was beaten and arrested Saturday night in the French Quarter.

Police have alleged that the 64-year-old Davis was publicly intoxicated, a charge he strongly denied as he stood on the street corner where the incident played out Saturday.

"I haven't had a drink in 25 years," Davis said. He had stitches beneath his left eye, a bandage on his left hand and complained of soreness in his back and aches in his left shoulder.

The plot thickens...

I actually think the Police will make it worse by pleading not guilty. The evidence is there, being thrown right in the face of people and they are saying they are innocent?

It's actually just a massive kick in the teeth to people.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I agree... I also feel sorry for the police spokemen.

they KNOW whats up... they just can't admit it without losing their jobs... so instead they go on TV and look stupid and pander to the few blind people that might beleive them.

I don't know if you could pay me enough to look that stupid.

posted on Oct, 11 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
pleas not guilty....black 64 year old man beaten by 3 white cops, caught on tape. obvious that they were guilty. if we learned anything from the rodney king beating i hope its that we dont let them get away.

because if they do then i smell an uprising in the black community.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
grimreaper797, you really have to ask what are the benefits of forcing the black community in New Orleans to a state where they will begin to riot and I can think of two. Both of which are not overly nice.

Also if they get away with it, there will be a lot more to worry about than what the black community will do. Rodney King was when we learned the Police can be above the law and can do what they want. We were just lucky that the media for once did their job and displayed the truth. Will they this time? I doubt it...

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   
i doubt the riots will just be in NO.....as black men and women they will feel the cops can still do what they want and still get away with it.... in that sense nothings changed. thats a hell of a thing to say after the LA riots, that nothing changed.

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Was I the only one that found it interesting that the cop on the horse was actively trying to block the camera view of the incident?

posted on Oct, 12 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Seeing that video on the news made me feel sick.
American's wonder why the rest of the planet has such a distaste for them, take a good guess.
I know a generalisation here is bad, but that's how it makes people feel. You wont find that happening in many other countries, and don't say its just 'cuz its not shown on the news; in third world countries such as where I live, it WOULD be shown, it just doesnt happen. Sure, poor communities anywhere act more crudely, but that is a police officer, a middle class man, such behaviour is disgusting and shows what kind of filth has voted in a man who's murder victims range in the millions.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
It appears that now the FBI agents that were also saying it was heavyhanded are backing up the policemans statement... (ouch... are they sure they want to do that? did they see the tape?

so it is the word of 3 police men and 2 FBI agents against EVERY FRELLIN PERSON THAT ISN"T BLIND... 5 against 275 million... I think I see the outcome...

but IF the judge decides they are innocent, then he is blind, and I think i might just also go temporarily blind when I DONT see the huge lynch mob heading his way...
Uhh...hello... los angeles... Rodney King... ring any bells? Mr Judge... this is a no brainer...

Ohh, and modulus... what country you from?... I can probably find some evidence of police beatings... they happen everywhere... and usually more often in 3rd world countries... there are just less media to cover them, so they are rarely shown...
these types of incidents ARE RARE here... that is why there is such an uproar when it happens... see the LA reference above...

[edit on 13-10-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Those cops aren't sweatin! these kinds of beatings happen all over our country the only reason this was on the news is because the old man is black and lucky someone had a camera. I personally know of many beatings of white cops on white people and I'm talk small town ohio here people the news just don't care about those. I'm not saying all cops are out to get everyone I'm just saying that all cops take advantage of their badge.

CX

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Its a shame this happens where it may occur, looks like the Canadians are at it now.

www.sky.com...

CX

[edit on 14-10-2005 by CX]

[edit on 14-10-2005 by CX]

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
What can I say? If a cop is beings attacked by a resisting black man, the cop's instinct tells him to beat the crap out of the resister. I don't think it's racist, a cop would do that to anyone whose resisting. Of course, when someone black is being beaten, another black guy instintly goes for the camera, that's the simple truth.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not standing up for the cops. Many of them are horrible at doing their jobs, but thats because they often slack off. Heh, while my grandpa and grandma got robbed this past year, there was probably a cop somewhere nearby eating a bunch of donuts like Chief Wigham from The Simpsons.

This law enforcment system needs to be improved, seriously.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
why was that 1 guy trying to break his leg like he's ken shamrock?

ok ok, all jokes asides this is quite bad. i can't see the full video yet, will have to wait till im home to see how the whole thing escalated but it's obvious a horrible use of force. if i was a cop, i would be smashing a dudes head in on a wall, come on.

if you need to use force, bring out that pepper spray, tazer, one of these methods the police dept's have invested money in to not to have to be wrestling down a dude in the middle of the street demoralizing everything they stand for.

very shameful and unnecessary.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Acekwak, I do believe the cameraman wasn't black.

Maybe if more people who were victims of Police crimes also went for the "camera" there would be less Police Violence? But yes, it is always the blacks who uphold the law. It's nice of them to do so for us.

posted on Oct, 15 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
Acekwak, I do believe the cameraman wasn't black.

Maybe if more people who were victims of Police crimes also went for the "camera" there would be less Police Violence? But yes, it is always the blacks who uphold the law. It's nice of them to do so for us.

True, the camera man wasn't black but that is only one out of many people. What do you mean it's nice of them to uphold the law? They often (hint hint, often) do that just so they could sue the cop or get more civil rights (which I think they have enough civil rights laws already). Besides, it's not like I was standing up for the cops that much, though I do believe that if someone (regardless of race) resists from a law-enforcer, then he should have a right to beat the suspect. OK, so the cops were a little harsh and I also believe that they should get some sort of penalty but I wouln't say that the people getting beaten were entirely inocent either. If a policemen stops you, you should obey the cop! Simple as that.

top topics

join