It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Superman Returns' tops list of most expensive movies ever made!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   
It has taken steely resolve but finally 'Superman Returns' is nearing the screen. But at what cost?
The revisioned Superman tale, filming at Sydney's Fox Studios, could well be the most expensive film of all time.

Variety reported its director Bryan Singer acknowledged its budget is approaching $326 million - that would top Titanic's $250 million and Waterworld's $225 million......

Link: entertainment.news.com.au...

Give Bryan Singer that much money to work with and this movie could actually exceed it's lofty expectations. I can't wait!!!

Also, I think Gene Hackman will be tough to beat as Lex Luthor, but if anyone can do a better job it's Kevin Spacey.

Peace

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Money hype like that scares me. Remember 'Water world'?

I think 'War of the Worlds' held the record before. I guess that means that we can expect lots of destruction in the Superman movie

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I just wanna see Superman get killed, he was always my most hated Superhero as he is just so god damed squeakey clean and too powerfull.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Around 200 million dollars was already sunk into the budget before Bryan Singer was even hired. Preproduction costs and play or pay contracts for aborted productions. Plus, hiring an army of script doctors who each command $250,000 a week for their services, and 200 million dollars goes pretty fast.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Figured I'd get some more info on this:

www.imdb.com...

Oh joys, I wish I had that amount of money, even if it were to throw at script writers. I hope it means it will be a GOOD movie, unlike the afore mentioned waterworld

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
What I can't wait to see is how they're going to bring Brando back from the dead. I guess they'll just take the image from the original movie and CGI the mouth movements in to match the dialogue, kind of like that baby in the Quiznos commercials.

Peace

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Hopefully they'll do a better job than Quiznos...

I just wanna see Superman get killed, he was always my most hated Superhero as he is just so god damed squeakey clean and too powerfull.

No kidding, completely unbalanced....way too powerful, and his only vulnerability is rare to find... ridiculous... I'm a pretty decent guy, but if I had Superman's power...well...you know what they say about absolute power, hehe... I'd be "King of the World!"
Seriously....who the hell would stop you? I'd slap on a lead suit, round up the world's supply of Kryptonite, and hurl it into the sun... Game over.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
You should read MArk Miller's Superman Series called Red Son. Basically Superman lands in the ukraine during the cold war instead of kansas. He becomes the dictator basically of the world.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Exactly! People have to actually ask who'd win between Spiderman vs. Superman or Batman vs. Superman or Captain America vs. Superman??? NOBODY could beat him without Kryptonite. There would have to be some really convoluted way that these other superheroes got their hands on some Kryptonite for them to stand a chance. Then and only then could there possibly be any question who'd win. Superman is the quintessential superhero. He has only one weakness.....Kryptonite, and the odds of somebody getting their hands on a meteorite of a planet that exploded in another galaxy is like the odds of the Texans winning the Super Bowl this year, about 1:1,000,000,000,000,000,000.

Peace

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
You know Batman did beat Superman. It happened in The Dark Knight Returns.

As far as this movie is concercened I am so un-looking forward to it, that I wish that they hadn't even tried making it in the first place. The casting is at best comical. The guy who plays Superman/ Clark Kent does not have the physique to pull off the role. They had to add padding and clever use of an airbrush on the Superman suit to make him look more muscular.

I also can't see Kevin Spacey doing a good job in the role of Lex Luther. I could be wrong on that point; but I just don't see it.

The Superman costume itself looks ridiculous too. It's not red and blue, its more marroon, wine red color and blue. The "S" on the chest looks small or dispraportionate to what we are used to seeing. I know that costume changes from the comic book to movie generally occur because it doesn't translate well to the screen. History shows us that in the blue boyscouts case that that isn't so. He has worn the same costume numerous times on the screen and it looked fine, great even.

Every thing about this movie makes me cringe, and normally I love comic book movies and get very excited about there impending release. Not with this one. I am scarred that this will be another 'Batman and Robin' which almost killed the Batman movie franchise, and ended comic book movies being made for quite a few years.

I do hope that the movie is much better than I am expecting; but I won't hold my breathe.

posted on Sep, 28 2005 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Exactly! People have to actually ask who'd win between Spiderman vs. Superman or Batman vs. Superman or Captain America vs. Superman??? NOBODY could beat him without Kryptonite. There would have to be some really convoluted way that these other superheroes got their hands on some Kryptonite for them to stand a chance. Then and only then could there possibly be any question who'd win. Superman is the quintessential superhero. He has only one weakness.....Kryptonite, and the odds of somebody getting their hands on a meteorite of a planet that exploded in another galaxy is like the odds of the Texans winning the Super Bowl this year, about 1:1,000,000,000,000,000,000.

Peace

[edit on 28-9-2005 by Dr Love]

I think you mean "like the odds of Baltimore" winning the superbowl.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Only because of Superman's second weakness, he's basically an idiot. Sure, on his home planet, they did quadratic equations in kindergarten, but for some odd reason, it never occurred to him to use an off day, slap on a radiation suit, and go on a Kryptonite scavenger hunt, then a quick flight to the sun.....

The new costume completely bites, and I'm not really buying the actor cast for the role. While Kevin Spacey will likely be brilliant, I'm just not so sure I'm ready to see the reattempt at this franchise. For me, Sean Connery will always be James Bond, and Christopher Reeves will always be Superman.

I think they're going to lose their ass on this movie....

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Only because of Superman's second weakness, he's basically an idiot. Sure, on his home planet, they did quadratic equations in kindergarten, but for some odd reason, it never occurred to him to use an off day, slap on a radiation suit, and go on a Kryptonite scavenger hunt, then a quick flight to the sun.....

That is so true! However no one ever said that he was blessed in the brains department. He has all these cool powers that he can use; but he always relies on his strength. His lack of being able to think on his own was the reason Batman had to beat him; because he basically became the governments lap-dog that did everything that it bid him do without thought to whether it was right or not.

The new costume completely bites, and I'm not really buying the actor cast for the role. While Kevin Spacey will likely be brilliant, I'm just not so sure I'm ready to see the reattempt at this franchise. For me, Sean Connery will always be James Bond, and Christopher Reeves will always be Superman.

I think they're going to lose their ass on this movie....

Couldn't agree with you more!

[edit on 29-9-2005 by sinta_ilfirin]

[edit on 29-9-2005 by sinta_ilfirin]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The actor and uniform in question:

Yeah, the uniform isn't doin' it for me either. It wouldn't be nearly so bad if the 'S' on the chest was twice the size it is. That being said, I think this guy is going to pull it off. I'd rather see a relative unknown play that role than an established actor.

Peace

[edit on 29-9-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
The uniform looks feminine with the small 'S' shield.
Brandon Rooth should do fine playing both Superman and Clark Kent. Brian Singer hand picked him.

For me I only have faith in this movie because of Singer and Keven Spacey. I just hope to see lots of action with a solid script.

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
For me, he better REALLY look like he can fly....

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I've been a fan of Superman since I was old enough to watch TV and read.

That said, I don't like that outfit at all.

The S needs to be a lot bigger. Unless this is supposed to only do justice to the 1950s era Superman. Otherwise they're doing this wrong from the start.

Bit of a difference...

[edit on 9-29-2005 by Djarums]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This is how Superman looks in current comics books. (Although this artist has his own style the costume itself is the same across the board)

Superman - Large 'S' shield.
Supergirl - Small 'S' shield

Brandon Rooth - Small 'S' shield... Hmmm. What could I be implying?

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   

I'd have to say the Kate Bosworth Lois Lane is a definite step up from the Margot Kidder one. A little softer. A little more vulnerable.

Spacey as Luthor.

Peace

[edit on 29-9-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Sep, 29 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I wanted to find a picture of Spacey as Dr. Evil to post, but I found something better

I'll post some more official pictures as soon as I can get them. (I have to do screen shots)

[edit on 29/9/2005 by Umbrax]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join