It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia, China threaten West's push on Iran

page: 1

join
share:
NR

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well it seems that everyhting is going ok for our nuclear program and that were going to give E.U and U.S new list for us not to go under sanctions. I think heres a good chance on freindly cooperations between U.S and Iran, our leaders even agreed on that but they said they would never work with Isreal.

VIENNA (Reuters) - Russia and China warned the United States and European Union on Wednesday against escalating the nuclear standoff with Iran, potentially blocking a Western drive to haul Tehran before the U.N. Security Council.

The European Union has circulated a U.S.-backed draft resolution calling on the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) governing board to report Iran's secretive nuclear programme to the Security Council, which could impose sanctions.

Western countries suspect Tehran is developing atomic weapons under cover of a civilian nuclear energy programme. Iran insists its programme is peaceful and intended to meet its energy requirements.

Both Russia and China, which as permanent, veto-wielding members of the Council could block any action, warned the West against antagonizing Iran.

abcnews.go.com...

Mod Edit: Reduced Big Quote. Please do copy and paste entire articles, quote a couple of relevant paragraphs and provide a link, along with your opinion regarding the subject.

[edit on 21/9/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Im for anything to keep the US Gov't off Iran's back

Funny how Iran is the only Muslim nation that produces a huge amount of oil that isnt controlled by the US or allied too, leave them be!

NR

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by shire19
Im for anything to keep the US Gov't off Iran's back

Funny how Iran is the only Muslim nation that produces a huge amount of oil that isnt controlled by the US or allied too, leave them be!

agreed, cooperation is infact better and EU are starting to back down and leave.

VIENNA (Reuters) - The EU's three biggest powers are considering backing down from a demand that the U.N. nuclear watchdog report Iran to the U.N. Security Council due to fierce opposition from Russia and China, diplomats said on Wednesday.

today.reuters.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Strange how Russia sides with China and Iran, when they so desperately want entrance into the EU, hence creating a paradox.

Russia is at the decisive point in their history where they will need to choose which side of the fence they are going to jump to.

Should they choose China and Iran (Economic and stability reasons of course), over the EU and the rest of Europe, North America,, and Australia?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
"Russia, China threaten West's push on Iran"

Yuk.

Let them all be known, ballistic missles no doubt have nothing to little if anything to do with the power already at hand and placed. I feel not only does western power have superior weapons but superior strategy as to where the superior weapons are already deployed.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Russia is helping to get Iran get its hand on nuke technology. no doubt the reason why Russia refuses to turn against Iran. Russia needs the money badly.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by nathraq
Strange how Russia sides with China and Iran, when they so desperately want entrance into the EU, hence creating a paradox.

Russia is at the decisive point in their history where they will need to choose which side of the fence they are going to jump to.

Should they choose China and Iran (Economic and stability reasons of course), over the EU and the rest of Europe, North America,, and Australia?

interesting. I believe that Russia will side with China, as there is a fancy little book that was written long ago that makes mention of this happening.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Europe wont hold it against russia that they are doing this, or China for that matter.
The European #ries dont really mind Iran having nuclear reactors, but the US is pushing them(especially France and Germany) to side for them and are afraid that if they dont it will have an affect on short and long term economic and political relations with the USA, like what happend before in the Iraq matter with Fermany and France.

The Europeans are laughing behind Bushes back and i cant blame them

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
This is all political, as China’s and Russia's “warning” will have no affect on the decision of the US to push for sanctions against Iran. If they veto us in sanctions then the White House can just claim diplomacy didn't work.... you know the rest. But that is all speculative, of course

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Yet, isn't it all politcal. Isn't that where it starts and ends? Seems to me the Military aspect is only a function of the polital decision Wespoint.

Don't you think it would be better to think and say it's a military thing?, 'cause if it's political it's serious to me?

Dallas

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Its a combination of both, but in my opinion its more political than military.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:55 PM
link   
If people are worried about the Russian and Chinese alliances...about whether it is political or military, and whether the US is a major player in the area....

Just wait: the fun is just beginning. Iran has long looked to the east (The Silk Road) for it's trading partners. And in the East, there are new players in the energy business; and they most certainly do not play "by the rules." Kazkistan, Uzbekstan, Georgia, all the Caucausus', the 'Stans, all either have oil and gas or pipelines running through them.

This is where the Beslan school tragedy, the slaughter in Andijan , and the newest version of 'The Great Game' is being played. There are alliances between China, which has a province that is considered more Caucasian than Chinese; Russia, which is still desperate to hold onto 'remnants of empire', and all of these countries. And the US has bases in many of them.

If you are interested in keeping an eye on what is happening bookmark this one:

Registan.net covers Eurasian politics and news. Their focus is primarily on Afghanistan and the former Soviet Republics of Central Asia and the Caucasus. They seek to demystify Central Asia by adding context that comes from their contributors’ expertise and experience in the region.

And I have not even mentioned Ingushetia, Dagestan, Chechnya, the Ossetias...the list is long in that long forgotten part of the world. And, most frightening, they all have vast amounts of rusting Soviet era weaponry, both conventional and nuclear.

Two must watch series to expand your knowledge about this region:

Holidays in the Danger Zone: PLACES THAT DON'T EXIST

This five part series on breakaway states and unrecognised nations, broadcast on BBC2 and broadcasters internationally, took Simon to little-known parts of the world including Somaliland, Transdniestria, Nagorno-Karabkh, Ajaria, South Ossetia, Azerbaijan, Armenia, Somalia, Moldova, Taiwan, and the former Soviet republic of Georgia.

In the following program one gains an understanding of the sheer distances involved in this area; and the presenter, Simon Reeve, manages to encapsulate the various histories and coherently relate them to the current world state.

Meet the Stans

This four-part series, broadcast on BBC2, BBC World and by broadcasters internationally, took Simon from the far north-west of Kazakhstan, by the Russian border, east to the Chinese border, south through Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan to the edge of Afghanistan, and west to Uzbekistan and the legendary Silk Road cities of Samarkand and Bukhara.

This is not an issue in which the US will play a very large role. It is beyond their area of expertise.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
"This is not an issue in which the US will play a very large role. It is beyond their area of expertise", opinionated alien.

Interesting statement -- wrong of course ( my opinion), but still interesting.

Everything Chian and Russia do, not to mention in harmony, is in the U.S. needed area of expertise. Knock China off MFN trade status as I have suggested before to our members and my Government.

Cut off their power (mind you Hong Kong was an injection of money to China). Just stop them cold freeze all imports now. There will be more Oil available too after shutting them down economically.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Dallas -

What an uninformative answer that was. It had nothing to do with the answer to the topic I addressed: "Both Russia and China, which as permanent, veto-wielding members of the Council could block any action, warned the West against antagonizing Iran."

Instead, it was only about how the US can take more than it's share of global resources.

But, what can one expect?

The part of the world I referred to has large reservoirs of oil and gas; and, despite the recent dissolution of the USSR, they do not necessarily see their future aligned with the "West."

Why are you so hostile towards other countries in the world? Why do you se them as enemies rather than other humans occupying the same planet?

If the US could not manage their intel in Iraq where it had done business for decades, for heaven's sake, how is it going to manage in countries that it didn't even know existed ten years ago?

Iran has the right to nuclear power as does North Korea as do all countries of the world. As the only country to use atomics as a weapon on other humans, and ass the only country to openly state they are developing new nuclear weapons and plans for weaponzing space; I do not think the US has any moral ground upon which to decry other countries' motives.

For those of you who are incapable of understanding the cavalier methods and intentions of the current administration, try reading and understanding what this means for your selves, your children and all generations to come.

PNAC's Justification to Develop More Dangerous Nuclear Weapons

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Well the address was just an address. Not the topic. Serious stuff's happening and Russia, China and mayhap's you disagree with it?

But lateley for the first time I have come to understand the reason for the United States of America's build up of conventional weapons.

Enough about mid-nosense like China and Russia are just behaving like China and Russia -- in my opinion their not. And China should be knocked off MFN status -- immediately.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Russia is helping to get Iran get its hand on nuke technology. no doubt the reason why Russia refuses to turn against Iran. Russia needs the money badly.

And the Us doesn't need money badly????

This is a quote recently from former US president Bill Clinton...

"What Americans need to understand is that ... every single day of the year, our government goes into the market and borrows money from other countries to finance Iraq, Afghanistan, Katrina, and our tax cuts," he said.

"We have never done this before. Never in the history of our republic have we ever financed a conflict, military conflict, by borrowing money from somewhere else."

Clinton added: "We depend on Japan, China, the United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, and Korea primarily to basically loan us money every day of the year to cover my tax cut and these conflicts and Katrina."

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Seems to me, not just from your post but things read etc..
Bill Clinton seems to be standing away from present Bush opinions -- about time.

Has nothing to do with pros/cons toward President Bush or former president Bush..the very fact that past President Clinton's no longer going with the present flow is important. He had and probably still has a lot of respect from the American People. Those who are Demecrats and those who seen how fast all the money was taken away since Gore's loss.

I postulate, either Bill or Hillary Clinton's running for the nex Presidency. I feel only Laura Bush could have a chance against either -- though Bill would be the tougher opponent.

Dallas

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   

On what are you basing this claim?
Russia has, to my knowledge, never once expressed an interest in joining the EU. If anything, they view the EU as something of a threat to their own influence in the CIS.

-koji K.

[edit on 22-9-2005 by koji_K]

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 07:34 AM
link   
With the popularity of the Iraq War declining every day, I don't think a war against Iran is going to get much public support here in the US. And I suspect that's why you don't hear nearly as much talk about the "military option" as you did a few months ago.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I think its a good thing that Russia and China have done this. Iran is now behind a protective shield. Although Russia and China wont attack the US, the US will know it wont be with their blessing and they will pay for it economically - oil etc.

Or it may be worse. The two states might secretly hand Iran a nuke under the table, just in case the US does march north...

join