It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Road trip, down in BR Louisiana. *BIG IMAGE*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Evidence of the journey, image is fairly large, but about right size to be legible. Notice the marked highlights.

More to follow.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I'm looking forward to your report, but I must ask...why the passport?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I am wondering the same too, what it means that we need passports to travel in the US now?

Its hard to see the highlighted areas.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Third form of ID, one drivers license, two military, three...

Hope that makes sence now.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I always use my passport. I've even had airline employees comment on how appreciative they were to that...that was on domestic flights. Why not? If you've got one, use it...it kind of leaves no question unanswered.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
For those who can not wait, here is a little teaser, for now it will have to do until I get my notes typed out and understandable (those who read me OARP notes will understand the reason);

It will detail the FEMA administration area just a few blocks away from the bus station, and my conversation with Blackwater.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:17 PM
link   
You mention Blackwater that alone has my full attention, can not wait to see more.

NSA

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
How ya like me now ?

posted on Sep, 22 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I was really looking forward to putting these notes into a modcast format, how ever it is taking too much time, and I'm not comprehending the overly simple soft ware. So here is the short version with out all the verbal extras that were worked out for the audio report.

Considering the trip was some what uneventful, on the way down, there is only one event to report. The first major incident noted while on this journey occured in Mccomb Mississippi, at the bus stop. The Greyhound driver was out side the bus on passenger side, when he was loading cargo into one of those out side doors. When a strap some how hung up on the hydrolic risers for the doors, well the door came down very hard on the back of his head. Mind you I was on the back of the bus at the time, drivers side. Well in a matter of seconds there was a whole commotion of yelling and people gathering to the front of the bus. What they were yelling was that our driver was hurt and bleeding bad, typical for head wounds.

So I grabbed up my camelback, disconnected my ammo pouch/makeshift- med kit, and made way tot he wounded driver. All the while proclaiming very loudly "MOVE I HAVE A MED KIT!". Getting to the front of the bus, I could see that two other people were trying to stop the bleeding. Setting the kit on the bus's dash I opened it and pulled two four X four inch sterile gause pads, for covering the wound. It was decided that those two pads were not going to be efficent, no matter how much pressure was applied. So clean towels appeared out of no where, and one of the guys who was first up there asked me to "get your scissors" and to "cut here". Doing so we made two long strips about two inches wide, rather fastly as all I did was snip the ends of the towels and he ripped them apart. Seeing what he was thinking, I reached again into my med kit and with drew the surgical tape. Telling them that they need to keep the driver talking, I instructed them to use the towels as bandages while we taped him up, around his forehead and then to the bandage. The first police cruiser was just showing up after a few more comments from me to "keep constant pressure on the wound", and "keep him talking". Then before long an ambulance arrived and the two paramedic ladies were on scene. One poked her around the door to check on the driver, asking a couple questions, I told her what she wanted to know. About 5 min later, we had the driver loaded up on the wagon out, and with nothing more to do than wait for a new driver and bus. It was then that an odd thought occured to me, I was the only person on the bus who even had a medical kit. There was no med supplies on the bus, only an outdated fire extinguisher.

Baton Rouge, on foot and alone, I had plenty of time to sneak err wander around getting pictures. Besides it was here that an Army 1st Lt, in Memphis told me I could find FEMA and the reception area. Turns out he was correct about FEMA, but it wasn't a reception area, it was the Administration area where all the military "brass" hung out and pushed papers around. This was at least what the Blackwater guard told me, and it was self evident after a couple of minutes, when the irregular flow of foot traffic became evident, in and out of the gate all brass. Was sort of an odd moment at first, approaching the security guy at the gate, and realizing he was Blackwater. I have to admit our surprise must have been mutual, imagine a taxi pulling up to your gate, stepping out are two people. One wearing day desert boonie cover, dog tags and military ID around neck, brown Army T, and black BDU trousers complete with black polished Army boots not to forget ruck w/ camelback. The other guy, obviously a man in need, probably a bum, both step out from taxi and approach. The whole introduction went very well, I told the gate guard that the man with me was in need of getting red cross and or FEMA help. He went to a table behind the gate and gathered papers with info and a map with directions to the redcross field office, that just happened to be set up that morning, the first one in BR. Watching the guard and listening to him detail to the man that, that was all he could do, we both watched as he got back into the taxi and it left.

Now it was my turn, the Blackwater guard asked to see my Army ID, "no problem" I told him. After barely glancing at it, he went on to say that this FEMA area was just for administration and that no reception area was inside. After telling him what was told to me, we both concluded the 1st Lt in Memphis was just as misinformed as I. It was then we both laughed and mutually agreed nothing else was new. Must have spent a good hour or so, just BSing with the BW fella, turns out he was a Marine prior to his current job. Could not believe it, he said to me that I should get a job with black water, I told him I would consider it, and if I could use his name as a reference, sure thing he said. He also mentioned how this was the first time BW had operated inside the USA for a contract, and that they usually did work in foreign countries, guess he never expected it. Of course he made some radio calls in the time between, and he did all he could, to get me some assistance. But he did all he could do, and after some on the spot advice, such as; "See that street, there is a crack house right there, we don't go that way. Instead go this other way, to the stop sign and turn right".
You see, I was about to head out on foot, and alone. I wasn't going to get back to the bus station any other way. No big deal, only a few blocks, so after we smoked another cig, I headed out and he just stood there probably with a bit of surprise, as the night was getting started.

It didn't take me long to traverse the few blocks back to the greyhound station. After getting back, I dropped my pack busted out my bottle of water the BW guy gave me, and lit myself a death stick/cigarette. It was then a couple saw me and approached, asking if I was military. Telling them I was Army, they instantly went off about the BS happening in NO and thought I had some part in it. Must have been about five minutes before the husband calmed down enough for me to explain I just got here not too long ago and came to volunteer to help the people. If it wasn't an act of god, it was a miracle, because just in the nic of time I had an excuse to get away from the angry guy in front of me. Lo and behold the Blackwater guards radio calls payed off, I had a ride to the field office. It was in the form of Army Cpt who waltzed right past me and the arguement. Excuseing myself by stateing that was my Captain, and he was looking for me to give me a ride. Well I didn't waste any time grabbing my stuff and falling in, in front of the Cpt. After telling him my name, and handing my ID over, he looked at it then at me, handed it back and said lets go. We went out the station and around back to the parking lot, to his car and headed out. We didn't talk much, that is until I said how I ended up at FEMA and talking with Blackwater. That was when he went off like a rocket, way worse than the civilian just moment before. Turns out Cpt was in Baghdad and that Blackwater Security almost killed him there in Iraq. That "They are dumb f*cks playing soldier!". To say the least, this guy does not care for Blackwater, and is not impressed they are here. Dispite the uneasy moment, the ride went well and Cpt made sure to drop me off on the corner of my destination, of course on the opposite side of the block. This was "because the car won't make it back up", turn out were I was going was inside and down stairs of a multi story parking center. Completely taken over by the military, who are guarding Redcross and supplies.

Down to check point (CP) six, where on the way another homeless person was encountered. Turns out he has had a run in with the "fellow who has a machine gun". Thanking him for his time, I gave him what was left of my bottle of water, and told him he would need it more than I will. Going down the elevator to the lowest part of parking, didn't look much like anything. That is until I got around another corner and found check point, who jumped up and put on his LBE, and just stood there as I approached to exactly 6 feet of him. He didn't asking me anything as I explained what I was doing here, and how I came about to being where I am. After that he got on the radio to let the rest of the soldiers know I was going to be seeing them at CP3. He said I could go through below, but that I didn't know where I was going, so I should go back out and around to the other side. It was then I learned the Cpt had dropped me off on the complete opposite end of the building. Walking around to the "front", passing another cp I finally made it, I thought. It was when I got to check point 3 that I had a close call with armed Air Force Security Forces. Turns out I needed to be searched, because I was going into a redcross area. They have walk through metal detectors, and everything. It was after a few questions, they they decided it would be more trouble searching me than it was to just keep me outside. I had two knives on me, they would have to take them as contraband if I passed through the detectors. The Sgt in charge plainly said they were "very nice knives", and that I could stash them and come back if I really wanted. Well after going over the other things I had on me, he noticed my Military ID (old green with holograms) was expired and that it would have to be turned in. Was no big deal to me, I had planned on getting one of the new white ones complete with chip and all anyways. Telling me what I already new, he went on to say I could get a new one at what ever post I was a part of. No big deal, until he wanted my cameras. This is where things got more serious, because those cameras never left the Sgts pockets after the search. Pissed now, because they had taken my cameras I decided it wasn't worth getting shot over. So I packed up, and went on my way, on foot again alone in Baton Rouge. Only now, with out any F'n photo intelligence, to return with.

Moving out again, I decided to go out the military blockade, where local and, militay police had blocked the road off. It was just my luck because as I was going down the street to leave, a humvee with four MPs came rolling down the road heading opposite as I was. Our paths were going to be crossed, but to my surprise they didn't do more than pull over and park inside the line of other vehicles. Getting off their block, I proceaded to turn right and follow an open road with light traffic, back towards anything. My luck was with me, for it wasn't even half a block when I saw the BR Police department sheriff. I headed over to the station as there were two people out side the office, who if I asked politely enough just may get me a ride back into town. Turns out I was correct, and the Police cpt hooked me up. We talked about all sorts of things; New Orleans people getting sick, and haveing bad infections. Also how that shooting or as he called them "firearm discharges", were most likely people trying to get recuers attention. Also that the dome sniper hasn't been figured out yet. Shortly we were back at the greyhound station were he dropped me off, and wished me good luck along with a thank you for comeing down to help.

It was then I decided it would be best for me to head back up north. Could not continue with out getting this off my chest. After all, I had made all the right phone calls ahead of time, Red Cross and other groups down there.
It wasn't until actually being down in Louisiana that seeing how unorganized it really all was. The media isn't even close to portraying the truth, to start they would have to broadcast the corpses...

Going back through Mississippi, on the bus was four Shelby County Sheriffs, from Memphis. They have no other transportation than public. They are going back to Memphis, to the home department. One mentioned things are messed up there also. One of the stops happened to pick some one up whp had been through the whole storm. Mr Eddie, this guy stayed down on the Gulf Port, along the coast he joined a storm search. Eddie got on the bus just past Jackson Ms.
Turns out he did weapon systems targeting on bradley and other defence components. He was what he called himself a "IT guy" for that hardware.
His stop wasn't far, Winona. He has video of the hurricane, and I figured it wouldn't hurt to pass along the ATS web site url. So that he could post it if he wanted. While talking about the whole Katrina storm, he mentioned his mother in law had bought him a car not far from his stop. Now he has a chance to drive back down to the coast. Also mentioned the first groups of people who were there after day one, were those form florida.

That is a summed up version, of my trip. If there are any questions what so ever please don't hesitate to ask. I still can't believe everything I have seen. Then all of you could also, not believe it too. Of course if the news has anything to say about Baton Rouge, or the Gulf Coast for that matter, times it by ten and then, it is a bit closer to the truth.
This isn't going to be my only trip down, already I am working on heading back south.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Wow! Advisor, what a journey and what an experience! Thank you so much for sharing this. I imagine there were some very tense moments in some of your on-foot journey.

Are you ever going to get your cameras back?

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Incredible, advisor I felt like you were telling your story from a far away country not here in the US.

Yes my husband have seen the photos of the bodies, that is because my husband working in the local base they are able to get the pictures that are for their eyes only.

I will not get into details here.

My husband said that is also a growing resentment between active duty personnel and the security groups in the area, the base is housing some of the troops and their families that were station in NO and MI.

Thanks for the great information and I guess that is not surprised that is such a mess of command in the devastated area, I guess communications have been a big problems also.

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 02:45 PM
link   

The media isn't even close to portraying the truth, to start they would have to broadcast the corpses...

Can you expand upon this point?

posted on Sep, 23 2005 @ 02:46 PM
link   

The media isn't even close to portraying the truth, to start they would have to broadcast the corpses...

posted on Sep, 26 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Are you ever going to get your cameras back?

Nope.

Originally posted by Bout Time

Sure, so far reports have estimated the total death toll to be upwards around 10,000. However less than or around 100 have been reported recovered. Reports of mobile morgues in Baton Rouge, their population has already surged from 400,000 to 1.2 million.

Just seems to me the news media is down playing more important details.
One month after, and all the networks have are replays of old footage.

posted on Oct, 3 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Amazing history, ADVISOR.
(That was as a movie...but a sad reality).

Thanks for sharing your experience with us and for your information.
I am sure the deaths were much more than the official number...
and that there are more details we are missing...

Good done.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
wow!!!

i just happened upon this thread- hadn't seen it before!!
i enjoyed reading your account, and even smiled a bit when you mentioned the bus station (puts it in perspective for me... i know right where that is!) sadly, the areas where folk from new orleans ended up, and where fema set up shop are not the finest areas of BR... there have been improvements of late to revive commerce and 'clean up' downtown, but there are still 'crack houses' just as you say... and places that one wouldn't want to wander at night... or during the day for that matter.

is there more? have you come back or made plans yet to return? what else?? very sad to observe that the thread stops here... sniffle....

tonight there is a panel discussion on race and poverty issues in the aftermath of katrina and rita relative to the BR area, and afterwards, open dialog on possible solutions to issues which we still face. as the 'problem' may have left headlines for more sensational subjects, we still have needs within the community and the responsibility to continue all efforts rather than put it behind us and hope it will just 'fade away'. of course, i'll be in attendance, and will probably write up a little sumpin' sumpin' - because more input on these matters will help to get information into the hands of those that can make a difference right here at home....

thanks for your post... i do hope to see more!! even if you just u2u it, i am extremely interested in your experience of BR and dealing efforts here, which of course, is very close to my heart... and kinda close to my house, too... LOL

~amithyzt

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
have you seen mississippi? I belive that place is alot worse off then new orleans. anyway what made you decide to go to La anyway?

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
There is not more, and yes I have been back, as even the people sent to help were not able to do so, even though they had supplies and everything. So instead of doing nothing there like everyone else, I decided to go back home. However I don't regret anyting, it was worth rideing with the capt., and talking with those down there.

Scorpionxx;
I sure did, the way down there in the median, trees were laid down like toothpicks, all in the same direction. The damage was pretty bad, but only saw what we rode past.
What made me go, well, feeling obligated to help in any way had a good force in making me. The fact that they needed people who were willing and able, had another part in it. I've about three years of IRR (individual ready reserve), left and if there is anything I can do, I will. For the most part, what made me go the most, was the sitting around not helping.

new topics

top topics

join