It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Donate Please - U.S Asks Public To Dig Deep To Rebuild Iraq

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The Bush Administration has launched an Internet Based Fund Raising effort and is asking for the general public to dig deep into their pocket for yet another cause, the governments attempt to rebuild Iraq. This latest fundraiser is aimed at giving everyday Americans "a further stake in building a free and prosperous Iraq" but the contributers will have no way of knowing exactly who and where their money is going to because the government "must" keep the details secret for security reasons. Americans have shown they are willing to dig deep for charity with a total of around $250 billion donated to various causes last year alone.

www.chicagotr ibune.com
But taxpayers already finance the projects for which the administration is seeking charitable donations, such as providing water pumps for farmers. And officials say any contributions they receive will increase the scope of those efforts rather than relieve existing taxpayer burdens.

The campaign is raising eyebrows in the international development and not-for-profit communities, where there are questions about its timing--given needs at home--and whether it will set the government in competition with international not-for-profits.

On a more basic level, experts wonder whether Americans will make charitable donations to a government foreign aid program and whether the contentious environment surrounding Iraq will make a tough pitch even tougher.

"I'm a little skeptical, and the timing certainly isn't the best," said James Ferris, director of the Center on Philanthropy and Public Policy at the University of Southern California. "It's going to be a hard sell."

The U.S. Agency for International Development, the federal government's primary distributor of foreign aid, said Friday, "Charitable contributions play an important role in enriching and extending U.S. government efforts."

The effort is just the newest twist in the administration's struggle to rebuild Iraq. Andrew Natsios, head of USAID, first predicted it would cost taxpayers no more than $1.7 billion. The tab has since risen to more than $30 billion, with congressional Republicans and Democrats sharply critical of the high cost and slow pace of progress.

Initially, the Web site, called Iraqpartnership.org, is offering potential contributors a choice of eight projects, each seeking $10,000 or less. They include purchasing computers for centers designed to assist Iraqi entrepreneurs, buying furniture and supplies for Iraqi elementary and high schools, paying for the production of posters to promote "awareness of disabilities and rights issues," and buying water pumps for farmers.

Heather Layman, a USAID spokeswoman, said the efforts are being carried out by five private organizations working on Iraq reconstruction with USAID funding. The site does not provide details about the groups involved or the project locations because of "security issues in Iraq."

The government says all contributions are tax-deductible.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

To my way of thinking this is terrible. Why should people be asked to contribute towards this cause when there are many more important issues at home to take care of first.

Katrina aside, there are millions of poor and homeless who need help within the United States borders, there are sick and ill kids who can't afford medications right next door to you now, in your same city.

I am a firm believer in taking care of your own backyard first before you start thinking about sticking your nose over the fence and tidying your neighbours yard up.

* Thanks To FredT for his contribution towards this article.

[edit on 19-9-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
If you read this, I hope you aren't seriously considering helping with this effort. Read this thread I started today then decide if you are...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Quick....where's a barf bag!!! How incredibly exploitive of our people's good nature...Iraq wouldn't be rubble if the shrub hadn't started his splendid little war to begin with and tried to shock and awe them back to the stone age based on a collection of egotistic, delusional lies.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   
How about those Iraqi's protect their own oil wells and get them into full production and pay for it on their own.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Excuse me? We spent so much( I cant count that high) blowing it up to find something they KNEW wasn't there.

NOW, pay to rebuild?

NOPE

How dare they. We have priority one here at home. We have our own Iraq we need to rebuild, and in a few days we may have another Iraq to rebuild, with Rita.

I say, Iraq, its fight or flight, we have to go home. If the Iraqi people want to keep their country they will fight for it.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
America is a generous nation, but we in America also have our own economic problems.

A nation's leader should not go into other countries to wag wars unless it has the meanings to pay for the expenses of such endeavors.

While many will gladly open their wallets to help the needy and tragic victims of natural disasters in other countries.

American rather invest in their own land and their fellow Americans.

Is very sad that things has gotten to this point when it comes to Iraq, we broke it we have to keep it and fixed.

Now is for the American people to see the mistakes and repercussions of things done in a very irresponsible way.

Americans and America should always comes first and then share with others.

But as now the corporations comes first then other countries and last the American people.

[edit on 19-9-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
There is already money there for the rebuilding, the luxury tax on our phones, once a month every month since the Vietnam war when they were supposed to have stopped this tax they did not so every month we American have been paying a luxury tax that is put on during war time but it was not taken off. From the link below it says we have been paying this tax for 107 years, WOW!!!!! a lot of money
www.atr.org...

also www.mywireless.org...

FEDERAL EXCISE TAX ON COMMUNICATIONS – “Tax on Talk”

Ever wonder what the “Federal Excise Tax” is on your monthly wireless bill? Well, think of it as a very outdated “Tax on Talk.” The tax was imposed by President William McKinley in 1898 to help fund the Spanish American War. It was originally a luxury tax, at a time when only the wealthy had phones. The war only lasted for four months, but the Tax on Talk is still around more than 100 years later. Today, every person who makes a phone call, pays 3% on every monthly phone bill for this outdated tax. Contact Congress today to tell them after 107 years, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

[edit on 19-9-2005 by goose]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Yeah right.

Enough of my tax dollar already goes to Haliburton et al. in the name of "rebuilding Iraq".

I don't feel like contributing another penny to these guys' bottom line.

You want to rebuild Iraq? A good start would be actually hiring Iraqis to do the rebuilding, instead of $150k/yr US contract labor. It might do something about the insurgency too... people are a lot less likely to go around blowing stuff up when they actually have jobs. What's the Iraqi unemployment rate now? Last I heard it was around 75%...

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Unfrickingbelievable... the nerve. If it's tax-deductable, I'm sure there will be many many corporate donors.

Here's the website:

Iraq Partnership

GlobalGiving's policy is to post only projects that have undergone compliance checks to ensure that the projects are for a bona fide charitable purpose and that the projects meet applicable government laws relating to international philanthropy. No organization or corporation listed as a partner necessarily endorses or supports any particular project listed on GlobalGiving.com.

I suppose anyone who thinks it's a good idea being there causing the death and destruction that has been wrought may wish to ease their quilty conscience???

Or maybe they'd rather just send more depleted uranium?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
The sad part is there will be millions of dollars generated/donated through this channel, as well as other means of "civil assistance", and it will all be under the guise of "furthering the war on terrorism".

Meanwhile "back at the ranch" we have NOT ONLY the aftermath of Katrina to deal with . . . BUT, in virtually every American town, city, metropolis there exists [and has existed] a significant population who are without proper sustenence, a roof over their heads, sufficient medical attention, JOBS/Opportunities, and so on and so forth.

There are many grassroot Americans who, for one reason or another, have "fallen through" the cracks of our society.

Within the borders of the contiguous United States there are hundreds of thousands of American Citizens who are homeless, without proper medical assistance, a JOB[nor hopes thereof], sufficient sustenence

As a population:

We are ALL Americans.

Citizens of The United States Of America

white, black, yellow, brown, orange, pink, or blue . . .

OR:

A pyramid is built from the ground up . . . (you'll get the rest)?!

Where do you think should we start!?

[edit on 9/19/2005 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Ok, this is just wrong on all kinds of levels.

First off, you'll note that we, as taxpayers, have already laid out $30 billion just to rebuild Iraq, not to mention the nearly $200 billion we've spent on the war itself. Now the Federal Government wants us to donate money as well?

Additionally, we're still in the midst of a national crisis with the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina with another possible hurricane heading into the gulf as I type this. And, the government is concerned with us donating to help rebuild Iraq? Helloooo! What about rebuilding parts of our own country first!

Initially, the Web site, called Iraqpartnership.org, is offering potential contributors a choice of eight projects, each seeking $10,000 or less. They include purchasing computers for centers designed to assist Iraqi entrepreneurs, buying furniture and supplies for Iraqi elementary and high schools, paying for the production of posters to promote "awareness of disabilities and rights issues"

Wow...lets give computers for business people, buy supplies for schools in another country while some of the children in our very own country have never seen a computer or can't afford school supplies. Where the hell is America's priorities? No wonder why we're falling behind in the global education rankings.

Efforts are being carried out by five private organizations working on Iraq reconstruction with USAID funding. The site does not provide details about the groups involved, or the project locations, because of "security issues in Iraq."

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that Halliburton/KBR is one of those "private organizations". And I'm sure someone in the Administration has ties to the other four.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This is how the government should be funded, by donation and government bonds, that way people see that their money is spent were they want it to be. If you want to support the reconstruction of Iraq, give to that certain donation agency, if you want the roads to be repaired near your house you would give to a local/state fund agency associating itself with this area.

And the best part about this would be if you don't like your money being spent on what you percieve as senseless, say the rebuilding of Iraq, you none of your money goes towards this effort and you can be saitisfied knowing this. As of now you have a very limited say in the distribution of your own money. Why are people so against having an actuall legitimate say in where their money goes.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   
No is not the money for Iraq will be geared to private companies because that is the way the government have it set up.

Be donations or tax payer money is and will be given away for the companies that the government already have contracts with.

Ones your money leaves your pocket bureaucracy, private greed and profiteers will take hold of it.

Its call approved government corruption.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Let's see, I don't think I am going to have the cash to donate to the rebuilding of Iraq this week, or next week... um, hold on... how about

NEVER!

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
You are either with us or against us !

I found this funny:

purchasing computers for centers designed to assist Iraqi entrepreneurs

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   
This is nuts Americans are already paying for the Iraq war via there tax dollars.
The Bush admin didnt/dosnt have a clue about how much nation building costs and now they expect the public to make up for there mistakes.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:29 AM
link   
think that all the arm chair generals and people that were and still are fully supporting this war should be happy to donate as its their tax money in the first place thats destroyed most things there

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
How about Halliburton donate 100% of their profits to help rebuild Iraq? If they do this I will divide my life savings accordingly to every single ATS member.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   
how about helping one of us ... im a mom who got " layed off" after 9/11 (as a lot of other people who's company decided this would be the best time to cut personel )because of the "economy" wtf?! I worked my way up in that company with no college education making 45k a year for 7 yrs. . now I can't get hired because I have no college education? wtf is this all about!!!!! I can't get any help from welfare because my husband makes 1k a month I am in forclosure and no f lawyer will help me because I can't get a job that pays more than minimum wage? wtf is wrong with this country?! They are going to kick us out of our home? I want to make payments and no one will take them...!!!! sounds to me like my country wants to f me for a profit and no one cares?!!! welcome to america....!!!!

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Check out the listed website.

It has a bit of information.

[email protected]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join