It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the worst possible thing that could happen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
We've had wars, famines, droughts, A-bomb detonations, Tsunami, Hurricanes and Tornadoes. We have even had meteorites hitting the Earth. But is this the worst that can happen to our planet and mankind?
What's the worst thing that you could imagine happening?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
First a major asteroid or comet hitting the Earth, second a supervolcano like Yellowstone erupting.

[edit on 9/19/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I don't know but I always had a fear of two distant binary stars colliding. This would release a huge amount of gamma rays. Even such a burst from thousands of light years away could destroy life on earth with the sudden and intense gamma ray radiation that would strike the Earth. And I don't think that we would even have a warning.

I wonder how bad a death from Gamma rays would be?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
mine is basically the same as dj's.

and if i was trapped under water.

oni x x

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:40 PM
link   
You guys know nothing...NOTHING!!

Its accidentally leaving my brand new red shirt in a load of my wife’s white delicates.

That’s the ABSOLUTE WORST than can happen!!!

[edit on 19-9-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
How about everything you mentioned already happening, happening in a larger scale, and all at once. So wars=WW3, famines=major loss in population, droughts=major food shortages and starvation, A-bomb detonations=nuclear winter, Hurricanes tsunamis and tornados=constant bombardment by super storms.

Just think of everything that's happened being as bad as it could have possibly been, all at once, and you've got out worst case scenario. Extreme pessimism.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I think a natural disaster that wipes out most of humanity would be a good thing. From the world state of affairs a good cleansing might be benificial for the planet.

The worst thing that can happen is that the trend in apathy and arrogance continues till ignorance and intorerance reigns supreme. We're getting close!

Peace my brothers and sisters!
One Love!

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I think a natural disaster that wipes out most of humanity would be a good thing. From the world state of affairs a good cleansing might be benificial for the planet.

The worst thing that can happen is that the trend in apathy and arrogance continues till ignorance and intorerance reigns supreme. We're getting close!

One Love!

Many nations have engaged and currently are engaged in a form of warfare called "genocide." In that, you find those nations attempting ethnic "cleansing" which is allegedly beneficial to the society doing the alleged purifying. I don't believe the effects of those wars ever turned out to be good. Nazi Germany wasn't very helpful to the world societies, for example.

I agree that apathy and arrogance is rampant at the moment though. I couldn't tell you how many people in real life I've tried to discuss current events with (not even crazy conspiracy stuff either) only for them to dismiss and practically ignore what I've said. It's that lack of interest or "optmism" which is gonna end up biting everyone in the arse, but what're you gonna do...

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkyFox2

One Love!

Many nations have engaged and currently are engaged in a form of warfare called "genocide." In that, you find those nations attempting ethnic "cleansing" which is allegedly beneficial to the society doing the alleged purifying. I don't believe the effects of those wars ever turned out to be good. Nazi Germany wasn't very helpful to the world societies, for example.

Sky
This isn't the kind of cleanising I had in Mind. This type of cleanising is the result of the intollerance, ignorance and arrogance I was talkin about. Just a little to selective for my taste. But natural disasters levels the playing field considerably. Thats why they are called "acts of God".

still ONE LOVE

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I know you didn't mean ethnic cleansing, but I was pointing out that cleansing itself generally doesn't solve the problems people believe it will. If we cut down the population, limiting the amount of people here, it's still gonna have it's social problems. Only difference is there will be less people, so the problems can be a bit more personal.

At the same time, you could argue that the loss in population will be beneficial to the worlds resources such as food supplies (there will be more to go around) and oil (there will be less demand, and it'll last longer). Still I believe the basic problems which plague us will continue to exist, and we'll find ourselves once again in an all too familiar situation -- this one.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I think the worst for me would be to find out that after we die that there truely nothing next.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:45 PM
link   
The worst thing would be to me personally would be if my Lotto numbers come up on a day I forget to put them in.

Second to that would be the Earths Crust Inverting in on itself 60,0000 years earlier then was predicted. I don't want to be around on Inversion Day cause it will be all up and down and My God..It Burnnnnnsss!!!! then nothing

Seriously though I think the world going under water would be terrible.
A waterworld future is not appealing.

[edit on 19-11-2005 by Grimholt]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
You guys know nothing...NOTHING!!
Its accidentally leaving my brand new red shirt in a load of my wife’s white delicates.
That’s the ABSOLUTE WORST than can happen!!!

.. you got that in pink? I commiserate, I traded in a husband for that very reason..I hope your wife is more forgiving, I bet she yelled.. tell me did she have her favourite white jeans in there? or nice new lacey cream satin underwear?
h
I'm with DJ a huge super volcano (like in my dream last week) or a massive concurrent fracturing of the pac plate with earthquakes everywhere, it would change the shape of our world forever.

BH, I've never thought about two stars colliding and the butterfly affect on earth like that... just another thought to ponder I guess, scary one though

Life is so fragile, what has been slowly formed over millions of years can be snuffed out in the blink of an eye.

Zaimless, Yup I would hate to think i had gone through all this for there to be nothing next.

[edit on 19-11-2005 by Mayet]

[edit on 19-11-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

im afraid to say we're already there.

posted on Nov, 19 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
How about if a major natural disaster happens; where everyone and everything is wiped out, but you. what a trip that would be. Waking up to complete devastation and isolation. You have some supplies to last for some time, do you do it? or off yourself while your still in some state of sanity.

Personally, if a natural disaster occurs; i hope im in the front line because I do not want to be around to see the devastation. I live on the east coast of Canada; if a tsunami hit Canada or USA, our island would be nothing.

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
How about nothing?
Nothing ever happening wouldn't that suck!

Or would it not? Do we need this crap to happen?

Anyway if I am killed give me a bullet or drugs a slow death is just annoying so anthrax or some nasty virus I guess. Anyway I would put like at risk to save another in hopes of being killed. Assuming there was no hope left for my life on earth.

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
We've had wars, famines, droughts, A-bomb detonations, Tsunami, Hurricanes and Tornadoes. We have even had meteorites hitting the Earth. But is this the worst that can happen to our planet and mankind?
What's the worst thing that you could imagine happening?

posted on Nov, 20 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

top topics

join