It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Briefing 20 september 2005 Mars Canals

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
www.nasa.gov...

Dolores Beasley
Headquarters, Washington
(Phone: 202/358-1753

Guy Webster
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
(Phone: 818/354-6278)

September 16, 2005
MEDIA ADVISORY: M05-157

NASA Announces Media Teleconference for Mars Discoveries

NASA's Mars Global Survey orbiter has observed some interesting changes at Mars. Researchers will announce and discuss the discoveries at a listen-and-logon news briefing at 1 p.m. EDT Tuesday, Sept. 20.

Participants:

-- Dr. Michael Meyer, Mars Exploration Program chief scientist, NASA Science Mission Directorate, Washington
-- Dr. Michael Malin, principal investigator for the Mars Orbiter Camera on NASA's Mars Global Surveyor, Malin Space Science Systems, San Diego, Calif.
-- Dr. Jack Mustard, Associate Professor of Geological Sciences, Brown University, Providence, R.I.

Reporters should call the Media Relations Office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif., at 818/354-5011, for participation information. Images and graphics supporting the briefing will be posted online at the start of the briefing at:
www.jpl.nasa.gov...

For more information about NASA and agency programs on the Internet, visit:
www.nasa.gov...

what could they have to say about these canals which is so important that they will have to give a briefing about.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Well, this, like almost everything else "martian", has certainly peeked my interest. Thanks for the "heads-up".

Mars has always held a certain fascination for me. Ever since I was a kid, after seeing the B-movie "Angry Red Planet", I have been an avid follower of space exploration and anything to do with Mars.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Could it be that theyre going to announce that theyve found water? Just a thought, as does seem strange - like theyve got something big to announce? What do you think?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   
They way they said interesting changes makes me believe flowing water is what we are going to hear about.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:54 PM
link   
maybe they found ice at the bottom of the canals?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Hopefully they'll show this conference on Nasa tv..

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I'll guess water too, but in what form? I'm going for ice. And they'll act like they're the first to notice the water. Over the last several years, I've been looking at hundreds of Nasa pictures of what appear to be liquid flowing out the sides of craters and cliffs -- its pretty obvious its liquid, but liquid what? (Maybe water with salt or other molecule to help it become a liquid in rather cold temps... not sure...) Anyway, I'll be surprised if they mention these flows... probably ice at bottom of canal?

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Well it is rather common knowledge that there are places on Mars that are rather temperate. If there is water ice in any of these sometimes temperate places then I don't see any reason to doubt that there is some liquid presant.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   

what could they have to say about these canals which is so important that they will have to give a briefing about.

Well, some thoughts on this, the timeline window for this announcment is interesting, Mars is at it´s closest to earth on Oct 30, people will be able to get a good view of Mars at that point, maybe Nasa are chosing to announce something at this point because they know people will find out for themselves eventually so they might just aswell slip some info out.

Secondly, and this is odd stuff so bare with me, this reversed speach stuff that has been going on lately, I`m refering to Peggy Kane who has done a lot of research on this, at first I thought it was just a theory but than I realised there were very well known people backing this up, they even called it humankinds seventh sence, anyway, This Peggy Kane person have heard a lot of prominent people saying in reverse ( from about a year back) "March" and "an announcment will be made in March" and she thought they were talking about the month of March, but the more I listened to it myself, I could not hear that "ch" noice that March has, it sounded more like MARS.

Thirdly, The hopi indians has a prophecy about something they call the Purifier, the Purifier will appear in the sky as a red eye watching people from above according to this prophecy, The Purifier is a sign that great destruction is on it´s way. Now, Mars looks IMHO just like a red eye peeking down on us, and it will come closer.

Some facts: "Earth and Mars are converging for a close encounter this year on October 30th at 0319 Universal Time. Distance: 69 million kilometers. To the unaided eye, Mars will look like a bright red star, a pinprick of light."

The above quote is a statement from Nasa that was sent out when the "Mars Hoax" started to circulate on the internet.

About the Mars hoax:

"July 7, 2005: Just when you thought it was safe to read your email....

There's a rumor about Mars going around the internet. Here are some snippets from a widely-circulated email message:

"The Red Planet is about to be spectacular."

"Earth is catching up with Mars [for] the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history."

"On August 27th … Mars will look as large as the full moon."

And finally, "NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN."

Only the first sentence is true. The Red Planet is about to be spectacular. The rest is a hoax.

Disappointed? Don't be. If Mars did come close enough to rival the Moon, its gravity would alter Earth's orbit and raise terrible tides."

What to make of all of this? You tell me, I normally don`t react to Nasa making statements, its kinda whatever to me, but there are some alarm beels ringing in my head at this point and I am not sure what to make of it

Guess I have to wait and see..

Cheers
/Cactus

[edit on 19-9-2005 by Cactus]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Well if Michael Malin's involved, I don't think it's going to be anything to astonishing. I also think it's probably going to be something about water or ice.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
And the mainsteam media will consider this mundane enough that you won't even see a mention of it on the nightly news.

In the paper and online sure, but not the 6pm/10pm/11pm sheeple news.

Only stuff that us science geeks will like. Water, ice, etc.

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by asawa
And the mainsteam media will consider this mundane enough that you won't even see a mention of it on the nightly news.

In the paper and online sure, but not the 6pm/10pm/11pm sheeple news.

Only stuff that us science geeks will like. Water, ice, etc.

If its water, I think they will jump on it considering recent announcments re Moon.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Since everyone else is saying water or ice, I am going to stretch and say they found a bacterial colony. So set me for 50 to 1 on a large bacteria colony.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
ok, my guess.

Pictures taken over time, indicated that there are occasions
when water can be present in liquid form, for short periods of time.

they'll probably show pics, before and after, pointing out erosional features, and how something (water) has altered them.

Then they'll say that Mars will appear half the size of the moon, in October.
That the story was real..

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I'd like to see Water flowing on Mars too...Especially if it had a boat on it

Well it's good to dream isn't it...

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Does anybody know what time the briefing is in UK time ?

[edit on 20-9-2005 by GEORGE]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Nasa will announce.

"There WAS water flowing on Mars's canals, 17 million years ago"

Then they will make up some BS story that pleases the public so they can spend some more money pointing out things that we couldnt possibly figure out ourselves,like.. Mars could be terraformed so we the human race could one day mine certain materials and gasses that are abundant on Mars which are not on Earth.

(And that would be money well spent would'nt it NASA!)

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
After all this time that the various anamolous pics of Mars have been circulating on the net, maybe NASA have finally seen something.................took a little longer than the rest of us, but better late than never! Thinking of the banyan trees, the apparent standing liquid etc. ( With the apparent microbial growth - you may be on a good long shot there - Lord Vilmur........) Fingers crossed everyone.............

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   
They'll never admit to bacterial growth. I'm not sure they'd see bacteria even if it was growing on the eyepiece of their telescope. Besides, its something about the canals, and the rovers aren't there to see first-hand the bacteria. NASA isn't known for going out on a limb, no matter how much data is thrown in their faces about it.

I'm changing my vote from water/ice to there-used-to-be-water-in-them-canals-there. (To find actual present-day water would be to admit that Hoagland is right and they'll never let that happen!)

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Hi Asawa,

Where does it say about canals? It's not mentioned here

www.nasa.gov...

Anyway, I thought the "Martian canals" were first observed by Lovell, but then were generally believed to not exist. Even the word canal would imply an advanced civilisation of some sort wouldn't it - can see NASA being even less likely to subscribe to that one!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join