It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpyCatcher Express

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I downloaded this software, which is free to non-commercial users, and it found spyware that none of my other programs (SpywareBlaster, Spyware Doctor, Adaware, Spybot S&D, CWShredder, and Microsoft Antispyware) don't report. Not only that but it runs in the background to prevent suspicious programs from starting without your permission and prevents spyware from being installed. I'm not getting rid of the other programs, but I am keeping this program as part of my arsenal.

www.spycatcher.com...

[edit on 2005/9/17 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I don't know how knowledgeable the people here on the ATS/BTS boards are, (I'm assuming they are quite indeed). But I'd check this list before you start recommending products

www.spywarewarrior.com...

Now, as for spycatcher, it's on the tested list, but it doesnt have a proven track record. I myself have tested it out, and it gave me false positives (which may be what you are seeing). But I do this for a job, and I'm a little overzealous about keeping my computer clean.

So I'm not saying "don't use it" I'm just saying be careful about it.

BTW: I hope you're using "Spyware Doctor" not, "SpyDoctor"

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I'm giving it a trial run... I'm fairly obsessed with keeping my laptop squeaky clean (so my ATS does not get interrupted, and withdrawal sets in).

At first blush, it seems overzealous... Time will tell.

Thanks Grady!

posted on Sep, 19 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I try to be cautious about making recommendations and this program is so new, it is unlikely to have been given a professional review, but the reason I feel so confident about this one is that I had a major browser glitch that caused my computer to open in IE instead of MSN Premium which I pay for, so I had to open everything from MSN or have to deal with two browsers, which was a major pain. No one could figure out the problem, not even MSN, and I wasn't about to call HP and pay good money to solve the problem.

CWS.HomeSearchAssistent turned out to be the culprit and, as noted in my first post, none of the other spyware software I run finds this little demon and I am now surfing the internet in browser bliss.

Download.com

[edit on 2005/9/19 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I am going to have to uninstall SpyCatcher Express because it recognizes RSS Reader as spyware, until I can either confirm that it is indeed spyware, which I don't think, or I can figure out how to get it to allow RSS Reader to run.

I stand by my previous recommendation. There is no question that SpyCatcher found and deleted the malware that had screwed up my browser so badly, but, for better or worse, I "live and die" by my news aggregator.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Are you a HijackThis user?

Anything browser related usually pops up in there. If you want to try something out, try going to www.castlecops.com and posting your logs next time. They'll take care of you there.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Thanks. I have had Hijack This on my computer in the past, but I must admit that I lack the skill to use it. I have only recently gotten used to the idea of using regedit to delete files from certain uninstalled software. It makes me nervous, though.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I'm pretty good with it, but I'm going thru the castlecops program to be officially "good" with it.

BTW they found some articles on that program:

www.eweek.com...

news.com.com...

The second link is for the express version specifically. 1st link is enterprise but mentions express.

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Clearly, there is no single software that addresses the spyware issue and what is worse, there really isn't a satisfactory definition of what is spyware. SpyCatcher and Spybot S&D both list BackWeb, but if you try to disable BackWeb, virtually every device you have hooked up goes bananas because it is used by a host of manufacturers, such as HP and Logitech, to keep the software, drivers and such updated. I have quarantined BackWeb several time and each time I unleash it because it just gets too chaotic. Besides, I like some of the services it delivers.

As far as SpyCatcher goes, now I know what I need to download the next time my browser goes berserk. I will keep castlecops in mind, though. It sounds like a valuable service.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Okay! I uninstalled both RSS Reader and SpyCatcher Express and re-installed each and somehow managed to not mess up all my RSS feeds and the two programs are getting along famously. I'm really glad, because I have learned that if I even disable the "Protector" function on SpyCatcher Express, the browser glitch reappears.

So, whatever is going on, it looks like SpyCatcher Express is here to stay. At least as long as it's free.

posted on Oct, 13 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I just want to say that I really like this software. It's not the be all and end all of spyware programs, but nothing else is either. It just does a very good job of letting you know what's on your computer and giving you the option of dealing with junk in a variety of ways. I used it just today to quarantine some junk that had messed up my settings and everything is chugging along just fine.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Lemme just say this: You are seriously obsessed.

Ok, I do like it, but its not like I'm going to recommend it over ad-aware with Spybot S&D. But it is an ok prog.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 12:29 AM
link   
You're right. I am obsessed with keeping my computer clean. In the year and a half I've had my computer, I've really gotten an education. All I can say is that I'm glad I don't do anything really important on it with all the crashes I had in the early days. Anything that keeps all those bugs at bay is in my plus column.

No one should recommend one spyware program over another, well the one's we know work, anyway. They all have their niche and play their own role in keeping everything running smoothly.

posted on Oct, 14 2005 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Just remember to read through here: www.spywarewarrior.com...

before you start downloading new tools ^^

new topics

top topics

join