It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Records Show Hurricanes Have Grown Stronger.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Scientists from Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia, and the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado, have discovered through their research on global tropical cyclone statistics since records began, that hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones around the world are intensifying due to the warmer ocean temperatures.

news.bbc.co.uk
They found that there has been a sharp rise in the number of category 4 and 5 tropical cyclones - the most intense hurricanes that cause most of the damage on landfall - over this time period.

Between 1975 and 1989, there were 171 severe hurricanes but the number rose to 269 between 1990 and 2004.

The author of the study, Dr Peter Webster, told the BBC News website: "What I think we can say is that the increase in intensity is probably accounted for by the increase in sea surface temperature and I think probably the sea surface temperature increase is a manifestation of global warming."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The article continues saying that some scientists disagree and believe that this is part of a 60 to 70-year natural cycle.

These scientists believe, according to the article, that "damage caused by increased development along coastlines is a bigger factor" more than climate change being caused by human activity.

I just have to wonder exactly how these scientists believe that "increased development" is not considered as human activity....which they testify is a mayor factor on the effects of hurricanes.

Related News Links:
www.livescience.com

[edit on 17-9-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The following is an excerpt which i think is important and can be found on the second article I linked on the original post.

Fewer total hurricanes

So if warmer sea surface temperatures lead to an increase in intense hurricanes, why has there been a decrease in the total number of hurricanes in this same period?

"We don't have a simple theory to explain that one, as we do with hurricane intensity, but there may be a relationship," Judith Curry, also of Georgia Tech and a study co-author said yesterday in a teleconference, adding that the intense hurricanes may hinder the formation of other hurricanes by removing so much heat from the ocean.

Scientists have long known that when one tropical storm follows the same path as a previous hurricane, it is less likely to grow strong.

Another observation of the study was that the global number of hurricane days has steadily been decreasing. In 1995 there were 870 hurricane and tropical storm days worldwide, but in 2003 that number dropped to 600.

For now, scientists don't know what mechanism caused the decrease to happen, but they say future research and data collection will hopefully help them figure it out.

"The decrease in the number of hurricanes and the decrease in the number of hurricane days correspond almost exactly to when the number of intense hurricanes increase," Webster said. "There must be something monumental that will come along and kick us in the shin to help us understand that."

Excerpted from.
www.livescience.com...

(Out of topic. Why is it that the number of contributions under our screen names is not updating?)

[edit on 16-9-2005 by Muaddib]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Global Warming is a scam. It's obvious that our weather is controlled and the technology for it has been around for at least 50 years. Don't agree? Then go here: www.cuttingedge.org...

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solidus Snake
Global Warming is a scam. It's obvious that our weather is controlled and the technology for it has been around for at least 50 years. Don't agree? Then go here: www.cuttingedge.org...

I don't trust websites the quote the bible when they talk about something as complex as HAARP

...[T]hese Scriptures are saying that God is going to allow the men of Antichrist to receive abilities that they never possessed before.These abilities will then be used to bring God's Judgments upon this wicked earth and its rebellious people.

Couldn't God get off his big white cloud and do that, didn't he do some punishing like this when he flooded the world.

Really using the Bible to explain Haarp is like using Shakespeare to explain Television, It's ignorant.
If you want a good explanation go hereen.wikipedia.org... I looked at your poorly written site now read mien.

How can you defend against a nuclear-sized attack that is being initiated by silent, invisible ELF radio waves? How do you defend against a nuclear-sized attack when it is being initiated by ELF radio waves that are being generated on enemy territory, fly up to the ionosphere above his territory, and then bounce back down to your territory to create the explosion!

How the hell is a giant microwave going to create an "explosion!" thats stupid. All it would do is super heat every thing that its aimed at, and even that is almost impossable becouse of the amount of energy you woild need to power it.

ELF radio transmitters can throw up an impenetrable shield against incoming missiles, aircraft, or anything trying to get through our airspace!

Really...? Then why in the world are we spending money on Ground-Based Missile Defense

If you have never accepted Jesus Christ as Savior, but have come to realize His reality and the approaching End of the Age, and want to accept His FREE Gift of Eternal Life, you can also do so now, in the privacy of your home. Once you accept Him as Savior, you are spiritually Born Again, and are as assured of Heaven as if you were already there. Then, you can rest assured that the Kingdom of Antichrist will not touch you spiritually.

If you would like to become Born Again, turn to our Salvation Page now.

Ha... Well at least these guys know their a joke

[edit on 17-9-2005 by ikillspys]

[edit on 17-9-2005 by ikillspys]

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I see...so I guess every scientist is wrong and you are right...

There has been a cyclic climate change throughout the history of the Earth. We are going through one right now, and that little website you linked, is not going to change the facts.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Well even my mother feels that something is not right with the weather, she is not scientist but she said that the trees in the Island PR are changing their fruit bearing cycles.

I agree that we are in a new trend of weather change, and that more storms are showing up earlier in the season.

About the strength that has to do with the conditions when they form.

Right now is a fact that the waters in the gulf are warmer and occurs hurricanes feed on the warm waters and that makes them bigger and stronger.

Right now if you see the news we have two hurricanes in the pacific with two areas that could develop later on, and two areas in the Atlantic that can potentially became stronger in top of that.

That the hurricane activity has gotten very active in the last few years is undeniable and that the waters and the weather is getting warmer is also a fact.

Is nothing we can do about it because In my opinion this are things that are from nature and not exactly human made.

The only human factor in all these is that we have populated the coastal areas of the continent and occurs when a hurricane strike is going to be more damage.

Perhaps these so call cycles will go away or they will get worst, but one thing I am sure, I will stay the heck away from the coast during hurricane season as much as I can.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   

as posted by Muaddib
I see...so I guess every scientist is wrong and you are right...

Every scientist does not agree with global warming.
Perhaps they do with cyclic climate change. That is what you meant?
Is there even a consensus within the scientific community on the issue of global warming or cyclic climate change?

seekerof

[edit on 17-9-2005 by Seekerof]

cjf

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
One should enjoy hearing such grandiose statements from the ‘discussed’ scientific community which now know apparently "less and less" about "more and more".

Making such fantastic leaps in scientific fact after a truly intensive, exhaustive whole half-century of round the clock study should cause one pause; without fail, to wit cast aside reason all the while never considering a small issue...the prior billion or so years…our small stay etc.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Modern science is also a SCAM, so basically I do not care what they might mathematically explain. It makes no difference. People are messing with the earths natural functions and I believe it will fight back.

Who says 'scientists' are the only people who hold the 'truth'. The whole thing stinks and science is quick to discredit anyone who doesn't suscribe to the scientific method.

One thing's for sure. If we keep draining all the oil up, I believe the earths plates will start to move and poles will change.

posted on Sep, 17 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Modern science is also a SCAM, so basically I do not care what they might mathematically explain. It makes no difference. People are messing with the earths natural functions and I believe it will fight back.

Who says 'scientists' are the only people who hold the 'truth'. The whole thing stinks and science is quick to discredit anyone who doesn't suscribe to the scientific method.

You bash "modern science"

One thing's for sure. If we keep draining all the oil up, I believe the earths plates will start to move and poles will change.

Then you use it to advance you ideas... or did you find out that the earth has plates all on your own

top topics

join