It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Golf = Too Much For The Heart - Or Something Else ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Golfer rushed to hospital after developing rapid pulse.

FARMINGTON, Pa. (AP) -- Former U.S. PGA champion David Toms was in good condition after developing a rapid pulse during the 84 Lumber Classic on Thursday and being rushed by helicopter to a Pittsburgh hospital.

Toms was even par through nine holes -- he started on No. 10 -- before being taken off the course on a stretcher, according to U.S. PGA Tour officials. He was taken first to Uniontown Hospital, then was flown to Pittsburgh's UPMC-Presbyterian University Hospital.

Toms' caddie, Scott Gneiser, told The Associated Press that Toms was airlifted to Pittsburgh because "his heart rate went way up."

There was no immediate word on what Toms' specific problem was.

"He was clutching his chest and said he couldn't breathe," said tournament co-leader Shaun Micheel, who was paired with Toms. "It shook me up. He went down to his knee, got up and walked a few steps and then went back to his knee. When an ambulance backs up to the first tee, it tells you it's a little more serious."

sportsillustrated.cnn.com... lf.84lumber.toms.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

This is the second time this week that one of golf's best-known players was rushed to a hospital with a rapid pulse. Meg Mallon was taken to an Indianapolis hospital on Sunday after her heart began beating as many as 290 times a minute shortly after the closing ceremony at the Solheim Cup in Carmel, Indiana.

Whats going on with our professional golfers? Has the competition become so fierce and the pressure so intense that "our hearts" won't be able to take it?

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I love golf and the pressure, but I don't think golf is necessarily related to these golfers being stricken. Probably other life style habits, bad diets, lack of hydration, heat, no breakfast, that sort of thing might be bigger contributions to their plights.

posted on Sep, 24 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Well, I've played in local and national tournaments, no where near the level of pro golf, but I can see how someone could get a heart attack playing golf. I get nervous even when like 10 people watch me play, and with so much money on the stake and so many people watching pro golfers, I can see where the heart attack comes from.

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I have that, and my mom died from it.

It's called tachycardia and it often doesn't show up as a problem till later in life. It's treated by drugs or surgery or pacemakers... I think (hope) exercise can ameliorate it.

It's not related to stress or exercise. I was sitting at my computer desk last week when I had an episode of it. Went to the doc and we're looking into adjusting the meds (mine is VERY mild, btw, and the meds are minimal dosage... but it's a weird and scary feeling.)

posted on Sep, 27 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
You guys do realize just how much Chemicals Golf courses spray on thier lawns right? Is it such a stretch to think that Chemicals + Person with existing condition = Bad Mojo?

top topics

join