It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mitt just secured my vote…

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
"Wiretap mosques, Romney suggests"

Mitt holds no punches and asks the questions that MUST be asked: ''How about people who are in settings -- mosques, for instance -- that may be teaching doctrines of hate and terror,"

You go Mitt!! It’s a tough line like this that we need. The USA wire taps potential threats all day long, but does a PC doctrine keep us from doing it in Mosques? There should be no exclusions from Terror investigations, and Mitt calls it out.

Story here

WASHINGTON -- Governor Mitt Romney raised the prospect of wiretapping mosques and conducting surveillance of foreign students in Massachusetts, as he issued a broad call yesterday for the federal government to devote far more money and attention to domestic intelligence gathering.

''How many individuals are coming to our state and going to those institutions who have come from terrorist-sponsored states?" he said, referring to foreign students who attend universities in Massachusetts. ''Do we know where they are? Are we tracking them?"

And…

''How about people who are in settings -- mosques, for instance -- that may be teaching doctrines of hate and terror," Romney continued. ''Are we monitoring that? Are we wiretapping? Are we following what's going on?"

Dont get me wrong, I dont think that all Mosques should be monitored, but we should never ever exclude them if we think that one needs to be watched.

Go Mitt!

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
VERY VERY interesting!

I wonder if this is not the first time such an idea has been thrown around the halls of the government...I was a designated driver for a night out with the boys about 3 months ago. In the passenger seat was an older guy who is a Worcester (MA) police officer with many years on the job. As we passed by a newly-constructed, large mosque on East Mountain Street, he started talking about how it was bugged and the people who said they were there to install a computer network were accompanied by some governmental agent from some agency was was dressed as a technician but actually was installing all kinds of surveillance equipment so his agency could monitor the place. I do not recall what agency he said. I brushed it off as the ramblings of a drunk (to put it politely, the gentleman was more than three sheets to the wind) who has something against certain ethnic groups, but now that I hear this, it has me thinking....

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 04:28 PM
link   
How is wiretapping different than infiltrating a mosque?

I've never been inside a mosque, but I've been in many Christian churches, especially Catholic churches. I can walk into a church and sit down, and the most attention that I will get is a smile from others in church. In other words, the churches are open to anyone, IME.

Is it the same for a mosque? If I walked into a mosque while they were holding their services, would I attract attention? Would I be welcomed?

Skippytjc, your signature says a lot about muslim attitudes. I've seen that quote before, and it never ceases to disturb me.

AF1

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It seems to only be a good idea if we wiretap all the christian churches and jewish synagogues in the process. They can be spewing just as much hate as these mosques, just under a different setting.

posted on Sep, 15 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AF1
It seems to only be a good idea if we wiretap all the christian churches and jewish synagogues in the process. They can be spewing just as much hate as these mosques, just under a different setting.

Everyone huh?....Noone here is saying that everyone, that all mosques should be tapped, only the ones that need be. And BTW, Chrisitan churches are ALWAYS tapped and often have undercover agents sent in to find if any wierd #e is going on......so what's your point? Do you agree with tapping mosques or not?

[edit on 15/9/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I don't agree with wiretapping any places of worship or infiltrating them in any way---if we live in police state under constant surveillance, then we have taken away our own freedoms more than any terrorist network---real or government-controlled---ever could. Preserving our way of life starts by sticking with the ideals this country was founded on in the first place. Even if you believe the Bush line that "the terrorists hate our freedoms," surely you would not want to do their job for them by taking our own freedoms away voluntarily.
---Ryan

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AF1

EXACTLY. What about the 'Pro Life" groups that are preaching violence? SOme churces should be under watch if just to protect children that go there.

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
EXACTLY. What about the 'Pro Life" groups that are preaching violence? SOme churces should be under watch if just to protect children that go there.

What pro-life groups are you referring to? Surely they aren't responsible for daily bombings in Iraq, Flying planes loaded with people into office buildings, attacking the Pentagon, bombing subways in London, trains in Madrid?

If you look at the ratio of Christian churches and abortion clinic bombers, you'' see that these type of people are an extreme, rare occurrence and it's arguable if they even are Christians. Now compare the number of Mosques to Islamic terrorist attacks. While still a minority, it's not just a one-off thing. These attacks happen on an almost daily basis. When was the last time that one of these Christian bombings actually took place? Name some Christian leaders that preach blowing up the resistance.

It's a crazy world we live in. We all understand that the foxes are killing chickens in the chicken house, but we can't single them out and watch them more closely. That would be racism. We must make an equal effort to see if the cows and rabbits are killing the chickens or the foxes will all cry about being singled out.

Meanwhile......news reports today say that 30 chickens died last night, and some small fox-like animal killed himself in the attack. And the fox leaders publically call for the killing of more chickens, yet we dare not call for a close inspection of all foxes that hang out near the chicken coop. What would people think of us?

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AF1

I dont dissagree with that logic at all. But we cannot exclude Mosque's due to any political correctness reasons as well. This is the point of my thread.

And not to point out the obvious right now: Its not the Jew or Christian terrorists that are presenting a threat to the US right now.

[edit on 16-9-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I dunno---George W. Bush is supposedly a born-again Christian (although I doubt his sincerity), he's sitting on the biggest stockpile of WMDs the world has ever known, and he's openly said "if this were a dictatorship it would be a heck of a lot easier, as long as I was the dictator." That scares me a heck of a lot more than "islamic terrorist network" that was created by---and probably still gets funding from---the CIA. The enemy we see is usually a front for the enemy who does not want to be seen.
---Ryan

posted on Sep, 16 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Who has suggested that mosques shouldn't be tapped or infiltrated if they are suspected of illegal activities? They should be infiltrated just like any church should be infiltrated.

top topics

join