It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flight 93 Memorial a Nod to Islam?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   
My initial reaction? Shock. Couldn't believe we would put up a memorial representing a religion that was used as an excuse to kill thousands of our people including those on that flight. After I remedied this condition:

I nodded and thought to myself, what did you expect? A cross? Remember, Jake, those are now illegal on public property.

This is foolish, it is wrong, and it is expected. Our culture is now set up to discriminate against any majority, and to discriminate against anything American. We reward those who attack us. We condemn those who retaliate. We give in to ludicrous demands. We are a society that is destroying its self from the inside out. We have a rotting disease that started from within, yet now that it's come to the surface and begun to infect the skin, our enemies and we have noticed. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

So what's the cause? Is there any one group responsible? Yes. Lovers of the history of western civilization will probably know where I'm coming from, but the rest of y'all will probably look at this next phrase a little cockeyed.

The Monarchy was the root cause. Yet, we've had many years to correct that. So, if I may paraphrase a movie line, I'm out of order, you're out of order, the whole damn culture is out of order.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I hate to admit it, but I find the memorial offensive as well. I realize the intent was probably not to signify the Islamic crescent; however the reality is that it does greatly resemble it.

As for the argument that the families don't mind, so why should anyone else, my response is this: The flight 93 memorial is for all Americans. It is not simply a headstone to mark the site of the crash, but is to be a standing memorial to what was lost that day. And unless you buy the conspiracy theories that 9/11 was an inside job, which most Americans do not, then to include a symbol that represents those responsible for that loss is troubling at the very least.

Imagine if you will if a memorial to the holocaust that looked like a swastika from the sky? Wouldn't that be inappropriate?

Besides, the perception of it as a crescent could easily be rectified, by making the arc a consistent width throughout.

-Cypher

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cypher
Imagine if you will if a memorial to the holocaust that looked like a swastika from the sky? Wouldn't that be inappropriate?

-Cypher

It would, but the analogy doesn't work for me.

The Nazis were one party (and indeed, not a religion), and every member of that party was involved, to some degree, with the Holocaust.

The same absolutely cannot be said for Islam or Muslims; the actions of a very, very small minority simply do not speak for the majority.

Why can we not view the memorial as a reminder that it wasn't the majority of Muslims who carried out or supported those attacks?

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
True enough Tinkleflower, the analogy is not wholly accurate, but I have to disagree that is not at least partially accurate simply because ALL members of the Nazi party were involved in the holocaust and yet not ALL muslims were involved in 9/11. One could easily argue that the pervasive anti-west rhetoric that is willing accepted among and frankly indicative of, the mulsim world makes Islam as a whole somewhat culpable.

Don't get me wrong, while I believe their are SERIOUS problems with the culture and religion of Islam, I don't think that every muslim is a terrorist. My argument is more that like the swatika, the symbol of the Islamic crescent will forever carry distrubing connotations for many people, myself included, not becuase of the symbol itself, but because of the crimes that were committed under it's banner.

However, unlike the swastika I think the Isamic cresent can be... shall we say "rehabiltated". I just don't think it's appropriate for this memorial.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheShroudOfMemphis
As well as Decorated by Congress on 9/13/2001.

He was decorated by congress 2 days after the incident.

BS alert!
Was congress even back in Washington or were
they still in their underground bunker? Congress couldn't
possibly get ANYTHING done in two days, let alone figure
out who a pilot was, ram the paperwork through, get it
approved by the president, etc etc etc ... all during the
chaos in Washington those two days.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinkleflower
Why can we not view the memorial as a reminder that it wasn't the majority of Muslims who carried out or supported those attacks?

Because the purpose of the memorial is to remember the victims and
their heroism and self sacrifice. They knew they were probably going
to die, but they tried to bring the plane down anyways, just to save
people who were targeted.

The Americans who were murdered are the ones that we are supposed
to be remembering ... it's THEIR memorial. Not a politically correct
statement of some kind.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Some have suggested this is a manifestation of the
Stockholm Syndrome, what do you think?

No. I just think it's a lousy design. I don't see
the Stockholm Syndrome in it. Just very bad taste.

posted on Sep, 21 2005 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Firstly, this has nothing to do with the Stokholm Syndrome. Obviously those who designed it and those who chose it were not aboard that plane and therefore could not have grown attached to the terrorists. That is what the Stckholm Syndrome is all about.

Secondly, this thread isn't about your personal design preferences. It is interesting to note that most of the conservatives I have come into contact with have all been extreme philistines.

posted on Nov, 30 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The crescent design has been replaced with a circular "bowl shaped" memorial:

(AP) PITTSBURGH Designers of a Flight 93 memorial have made a circular, bowl-shaped piece of land its centerpiece, replacing the original crescent-shape design that some critics had said was a symbol honoring terrorists.

The new design, announced Wednesday by the memorial planning committee, features most of the same details of the original, which was unveiled in September after a worldwide design competition.

A tower with 40 wind chimes will welcome visitors to the crash site near Shanksville. There, they can walk to a large circular field ringed by 40 groves of red and sugar maple trees, symbolizing the 40 passengers and crew who died when hijacked Flight 93 went down on Sept. 11, 2001.

CBS 4 Denver

posted on Sep, 3 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
This is the biggest f.u. to the american people, and political correctness is never more blinding:

Green circle was obtained from the Salat Times utility at Islam.com. It shows the direction to Mecca from Somerset PA. The red arrow shows that a person standing halfway between the tips of the giant crescent and facing into the center of the crescent is facing almost exactly at Mecca. The meaning? A crescent that Muslims face into to face Mecca is called a mihrab and is the central feature around which every mosque is built. (Everything you see in this graphic remains completely intact in the superficially altered Bowl of Embrace redesign.)

Source

The planned Flight 93 Memorial is a terrorist memorial mosque. Not only does the giant crescent point to Mecca, but architect Paul Murdoch proves that this orientation is intentional by repeating it in the crescents of trees that surround the Tower of Voices part of the memorial.

Source

political correctness aids the jihadis like no martyr could ever hope to

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by feydrautha

Eh? Really? You believe this drivel?

It's just a semi-circle in a field. It's not a real crescent, as a crescent is a lot deeper than the one envisaged. You are scared of shadows, it seems. There is nothing here to get your knickers in a twist over, not that that will stop you.

Twist away.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join