It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran. Next To Join The Nuclear Club?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Bet on it.
Iran has claimed, all along that they were building nuclear facilities for the energy output. Please....Iran needs to grow some balls and just say that they are working on a bomb....cause they are! The implications of this will be missed by many but be assurd that if Iran obtains a bomb....those same implications will be felt and then realized...if not already realized.
Articles:

"70 TO 80 IRANIAN SCIENTISTS SAID TO WORK ON ATOM BOMB"
DeutschePresse via Bloomberg no url | 9/6/3

Berlin (dpa) -" A secret group of 70 to 90 Iranian scientists is employed to build a nuclear weapon for Teheran, the Berlin newspaper Tagesspiegel am Sonntag was to report on Sunday, quoting ``western intelligence sources''.

The newspaper said Iran had purchased high-voltage switches in Europe of a type that could be used to detonate a nuclear weapon.

Teheran had also bought specialized high-speed cameras and X-ray cameras suitable for recording test blasts.

The Iranians were also known to be developing special explosives of the type used to detonate nuclear weapons. The paper said the team was coordinated by personnel from both the Revolutionary Guards and the Defence Ministry in Teheran."

"US PROBE FRENCH FIRM-IRAN NUKE CONNECTION."
The News International ^ | September 06 2003

WASHINGTON: "The United States is investigating a French firm�s alleged illegal diversion to Iran of US-made specialty pumps that can be used for nuclear reactors, The Washington Times said on Friday.

The US Treasury and Commerce departments are investigating French firm Technip-Coflexip for possible violations of licensing rules, export controls on sales of oil and gas equipment to Iran and of a 1996 US law that penalizes foreign companies that invest in the Iranian and Lybian oil and gas industries.

Earlier, diplomats in Vienna said Washington has drafted a resolution accusing Iran of violating its UN nuclear obligations ahead of next week�s key meeting of the UN atomic energy watchdog�s governing board.

One diplomat familiar with the draft resolution said Washington had given the draft to some of the 35 nations on the governing board of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) to see if it had a chance of getting it approved next week. "The resolution says Iran is guilty of non-compliance and should go to the Security Council," a diplomat informed."

Link: jang.com.pk...

"IRAN: MOSCOW, TEHRAN FAIL TO AGREE ON RETURN OF NUCLEAR FUEL."
RFE/RL ^ | 9/6/03

Moscow, 6 September 2003 (RFE/RL) -- "Talks between Russia and Iran have still failed to resolve the question of the return of spent fuel to Russia from Iran's nuclear power plant at Bushehr.

Russia is helping Iran build the nuclear power plant at Bushehr. But, under strong international pressure -- particularly from the U.S. -- Russia has demanded that Iran return spent fuel from the plant. The U.S. has accused Tehran of seeking to develop its nuclear weapons program.

Russia's Atomic Energy Ministry said today it would not start delivering fuel for the Bushehr plant until an agreement is reached on the return of the fuel once it is used."

Link: www.rferl.org...

"BUSH ON WARPATH OVER UN's SHOCK REPORT ON IRAN A-BOMB (Dubya is Angry!)"
The Daily Telegraph ^ | 09/07/2003 | Con Coughlin

"America will tomorrow demand that the United Nations takes urgent action to prevent Iran acquiring the atom bomb as fears mount that Teheran is on course to develop a nuclear weapons capability within two years.

United States officials will make the demand at a special meeting of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) in Vienna that has been arranged to consider a 10-page report by Mohammed al-Baradei, the agency's director-general, into the state of Iran's nuclear programme.

Washington has already expressed deep concern about the discovery of traces of weapons grade uranium found in soil samples taken from one of Iran's top secret nuclear facilities last July.

In his report, a copy of which has been obtained by The Telegraph, Mr al-Baradei lists serious concerns raised by UN weapons inspectors about the scope of Iran's nuclear programme, which Teheran continues to insist is aimed at developing a nuclear power industry."

Link: www.telegraph.co.uk...;$sessionid$WO4EXBOEUYVOHQFIQMGSFF4AVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2003/09/07/wiran07.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/09/07/i xnewstop.html

I would be interested to hear what many think of this possible development.
Thank you.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 7-9-2003 by Seekerof]

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The old Axis Of Evil trick, eh?

I would no sooner want nuclear weapons to proliferate in Pakistan, India, Brazil, China, North Korea, the US or Russia, than in Iran.

Somewhere around the hallowed halls of ATS some time ago we posted up and updated a chart with the number of strategically useful warheads by country, and some members updated it. It was eye-opening to know where things were at their peak, and some of us believed that disarmament had not gone so far as reported.

If my wits were about me right now, I would find it and post a link to it because it's pertinent.

The "secret group" of 70-90 Iranian scientists is not so secret any more, is it? The planet would be better off if the US govt stopped doing whatever it is that pisses these countries off, and if these scientists were deployed in more beneficial activities. But hey, that's not going to happen, as the US is the great role model for the industrial-military complex that these nations now wish to emulate.

You reap what you sow, sometimes.

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 09:42 PM
link   
"Although Mr al-Baradei admits that the Iranians have deployed a variety of delaying tactics to prevent UN inspectors gaining access to secret nuclear facilities, he believes that they should be given more time to comply with their obligations under the Nuclear Non-proliferation Treaty."

When I read this, I could only think....
OY! Here we go again!!

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Come to think of it...
"Bush on Warpath" is an oxymoron.

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This just in:
"Iran Warns Pressure on Nukes May Backfire"
Link: www.miami.com...

Excerpts:
"Iran's chief delegate to the U.N. atomic agency warned the United States and other nations ahead of a Monday meeting that nuclear tensions could be aggravated if they put too much pressure on Tehran to open its programs to inspectors........Monday's meeting also will ask Tehran to explain agency findings that the Americans and others say point to the existence of a covert nuclear weapons program.".....

"We are sitting on a very thin edge," Salehi said. "It could tilt one way or the other very easily."

"The United States accuses Iran of working on a secret nuclear weapons program, and a recent confidential IAEA report, obtained by The Associated Press, said traces of highly enriched, weapons-grade uranium were found at an Iranian nuclear facility."

"The report also said Iran was conducting tests that experts say make little sense unless the country was pursuing nuclear weapons."

I will try to stay on top of this but any comments or thoughts would be great.

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 02:17 PM
link   
"Iranians puzzled as outsiders stay fretful"
Link:
news.ft.com.../StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1059479628821

"Faced with rising suspicions over its nuclear ambitions, Iran's clerical regime has adopted a strange defence: nuclear weapons, says the government in Tehran, are un-Islamic and therefore cannot be pursued by the Islamic Republic.

Some take the curious argument even further: "It's not human to have the atomic bomb," declares Amir Mohebian, a newspaper columnist who is considered an ideologue for the conservative faction in Iran's political establishment. "We want to follow policies that are in line with morality."

Despite popular approval and support from regular Iranians, will they succomb to the more powerful clerics who seem to hold sway?

Hmmm...

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Well......................
Since I can't get anyone to engage in this, I will continue to update the events leading to a possible confirmation or nay that Iran is working on acquiring a nuclear bomb.

Latest news:
"US officials say China, N. Korea behind Iran's missile program"
Link: worldnetdaily.com...

I posted this article because of the 'if' status of such an acquired nuke being used in another area that the Iranian's appear to be focusing on...quite abit.

"US demands disclosure from Iran"
Link: www.wtnh.com...

Excerpt:
"(Vienna, Austria-AP, Sept. 8, 2003 3:30 PM) _ The International Atomic Energy Agency has opened a conference with US demands that Iran disclose its nuclear intentions.

The US is insisting Iran disprove it is running a secret nuclear weapons program. At unofficial evening meetings, allies Canada and Britain were sounding out other nations on a resolution that would call on Iran to provide full disclosure of its programs."

Stay tuned for the latest in reports on this.

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Seekerof,

I haven't been watching Iran as close as I/we should be.

A quick read tells me that to date, Russia, China and Nk are all suspected of assisting Iran...? That's an awful lot of help.

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Kukla...
It seems that way, though the Russians, technically, have the contract to assist building the nuclear reactor(s). The Russian's are seemingly under pressure from Washington.

Just found this articles:

"Iran May Get Last Chance to Open Nuclear Program"
Link: asia.reuters.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow"> asia.reuters.com...

VIENNA (Reuters) - "Governors of the U.N. nuclear watchdog appeared ready to approve a U.S.-backed resolution on Wednesday giving Tehran until October 31 to reveal the full extent of its nuclear program, diplomats said.

Japan, Britain, France and Germany joined forces with the United States by co-sponsoring the draft resolution demanding Iran demonstrate full compliance with the Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), which Washington says Tehran has violated.

The toughly-worded draft, circulated at a closed-door meeting of the governing board of the International Atomic Energy Agency's (IAEA) board of governors, also called on Iran to "suspend all further uranium enrichment activities."

"U.S. Says Iran Violating Nuclear Treaty"
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20030910/ap_on_re_as/nuclear_agency_iran

Will update as articles come forth.....

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I have a bad "gut-feeling" over this nuke issue with Iran.
Just found this interaction today:

"UN Sets Nuclear Deadline, Iran Walks Out in Protest"
Link
Yahoo via Reuters)
story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20030912/wl_nm/nuclear_iran_dc_28

"VIENNA (Reuters) - The U.N.'s nuclear watchdog on Friday set Iran an October 31 deadline to prove it had no secret atomic weapons program, prompting Tehran to threaten a "deep review" of its cooperation with the agency.

Following intense U.S. pressure for action against Iran, the 35-nation board of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) passed a resolution setting the deadline. Iran's delegation stormed out of the closed-door meeting, accusing Washington of having new invasion plans after Iraq.

The toughly worded resolution gives Iran -- branded by the United States last year as part of an "axis of evil" with pre-war Iraq and North Korea -- one last chance to prove it has been complying with the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

The United States says Tehran has violated the treaty in its effort to develop atomic weapons secretly. Iran, which denies the allegation, could face economic sanctions if reported to the U.N. Security Council for breach of its NPT obligations."

Why doesn't the UN pass a resolution to show this is serious? Things will certainly get "hotter" on this issue....

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 12 2003 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof

Why doesn't the UN pass a resolution to show this is serious?

hmmm there has never been much use of UN resolutions. They seem to apply only to very poor and devastated countries.

Well, I guess Iran will get a fair chance in the upcoming US-Iran war. Maybe the nukes will even prevent the war... who knows.

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 05:17 AM
link   
The Iranians are #in stupid man. They're just giving the U.S. a reason to put a damn bullseye target on their forehead. People critisize the U.S. on how they are going to go after Iran next, but damn, Iran gives the U.S. reasons why they should go after stupid ass Iran next. The Iranians mine as well say "Hey Bush! Look at me! I want to go next!" But hey, whatever.....

[Edited on 9-13-2003 by 10DeadInside10]

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Leave them be, and wellcome them with open arms to this gentlemens club..

Lets admit it: Iran has earned its nukes..

posted on Sep, 13 2003 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Iran is close to weapons development. As for nuclear weapons being "un-Islamic"? A lot of things that Iran has done were unIslamic...but that never has stopped them before.

And the last organization I would allow to monitor Iran is the U.N. I've said before that the U.N. is nothing more than a glorified debating committee.

Also, I'd put money on the fact that France has been a big seller to Iraq and Iran (plus God knows who else) of WMD related equipment. I'd say thats the reason the French are so strictly against our involvement in the middle east. Besides, given their military record I wouldn't allow French troops to guard a shytehouse at a church bingo game.

Question: Has a deadline or any type of ultimatum been officially issued by the US to Iran? If so, what are the conditions?

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Just in:

"More signs emerge that Iran is set to reject nuclear ultimatum:
Link:
www.spacewar.com...

Excerpt:

"TEHRAN (AFP) Sep 17, 2003
Iranian officials gave fresh signals Wednesday that they do not intend to comply with a resolution passed by the UN's nuclear watchdog giving Tehran until the end of next month to come clean on its atomic programme.
"At the beginning of the (1979 Islamic) revolution, we stood up to identical pressure and we are used to it. The Islamic republic has no intention of giving in to pressure," powerful former president Akbar Hashemi Rafsandjani was quoted as saying in his latest comment on the deadline.

On Friday, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) gave Iran until October 31 to clear up widespread suspicions it is using an atomic energy programme as a cover for nuclear weapons development.

The resolution, passed by the IAEA's board of governors after intensive US lobbying, demands Iran answer all the IAEA's questions regarding its enrichment activities, provide unrestricted access to IAEA inspectors and provide a detailed list of its nuclear-related imports.

One of the IAEA's demands is that Iran sign an additional protocol to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, which would allow inspectors to make surprise visits to suspect sites."......

Another testament to the effectiveness of the United Nations?

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 17 2003 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Starts singing....

"It's the end of the world....as we know it...it's the end of the......"

Well the pawns are all lining up for the big WWIII chess match... Should be interesting to see who makes the first move.... Oh wait a minute....that was us!!!

posted on Sep, 23 2003 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Welp. back to the grinding board.....
Just found this article:
"Iran embarks on uranium enrichment, set to reject IAEA deadline"
Link:
www.spacewar.com...

Excerpt:
"A top Iranian diplomat has announced the Islamic republic has started uranium enrichment experiments and may cut back its cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), snubbing a UN ultimatum to the Islamic republic.
"The factory at Natanz has been in operation at an experimental level for several weeks," Iran's ambassador to the IAEA, Ali Akbar Salehi, said in an interview published by Kayhan newspaper late Monday.

His comments came despite a September 12 resolution passed by the IAEA that urged Iran to cease enrichment activities amid US allegations that the programme -- part of a bid to generate nuclear power -- is merely a cover for nuclear weapons development."

Seems Iran will proceed with its intentions to build a nuke despite still saying they are not.....

regards
seekerof

posted on Sep, 24 2003 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Oh happy day!
When Jesus walks!
Oh happy day!
When Jesus comes!
Oh happy day!

posted on Sep, 29 2003 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Does this sound familar to anyone?
Its a pretty conclusive 'thing' that Iran and North Korea are working together in a number of areas: intermediate missile developments, nuke knowledge exchanges, etc.......

And here is Iran's latest move:

"Iran demands trade-off over its nuclear plans"
Link:
news.ft.com.../StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1059480176257&p=1012571727102

Excerpt:
"Iran warned on Sunday that its willingness to commit itself to a more comprehensive nuclear inspections regime depended on assurances that it could continue to develop uranium enrichment technology for its civil nuclear power programme." DOH!!! Iran has enough oil reserves to carry it a 1,000 years +/-. Unless this country is trying to move to a fule resource that is going to replace oil, why the need to move to civil nuclear?

regards
seekerof

top topics

join