It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Any Members Doing Mods.???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
This post is being written on a Kenmore Microwave Oven that I gutted and made into a computer for the kitchen.

If the screen is turned off, it looks like any other microwave oven.
If the wallpaper is on the screen, it looks like a turkey is roasting in the oven.
If the screensaver comes on, it looks like a fire has started inside the oven.

It's just a machine that I look up recipes on, or play music or video while we're working in the kitchen. The O/S (Win98 SE) is on an 8GB HD with a few programs, but not much else.
I also put in a 60GB HD as a slave so we could load all our favorite music and some videos.

This sits on top of my fridge and the real microwave is on a stand about 4 feet away.
People always look at it funny if it's on, but never notice it if it's shut off.

I want to start building a machine into my wooden coffee table, and place a screen under a smoked glass top.
I don't want people to recognize it as a computer if they're just butting a smoke or putting down a glass of scotch. But I want the TV Guide showing under the glass top when I'm kickin' back on the Chesterfield.
And I want to surf abovetopsecret.com... when the main computer is busy.
Plus, I Want A Cool Coffee Table

Just wondering if anyone else on ATS is building this stuff ???
Did I miss any good threads on this subject ???

Is anyone building computers into household objects???

Or am I alone ?

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Uhh sorry dont know anything about that kind of stuff, but I about fell over laughing when I read the title of this thread, sorry I can't be of any help.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
Uhh sorry dont know anything about that kind of stuff, but I about fell over laughing when I read the title of this thread, sorry I can't be of any help.

I didn't think about that! If you go to Via Arena and scroll down a bit then there are a few different and novel case mods they have done. I am thinking of just doing the standard bung a window in the side with a million and one fans with CCT lights type mod but no funds atm. Anyway I think this would be a suitable place to use:

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   
(Sorry, that's exactly what I thought, from the title, too!...I was thinkin' "Well gee, that's a bit personal...")

My ex mod'd out his Voodoo pc...I'm not sure what it does atm (probably makes dinner, does his taxes, cleans his car, etc), but I'll ask

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   

we are here to serve

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Well, have to give props to the catchy title,

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Well, there have been a few requests...

Anyway, here's an old thread I posted about a very cool case mod.
www.belowtopsecret.com...

ps) u2u me and find out why there are Mods and SUPER Mods.

(Ok...just kidding)

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Maybe.

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 01:20 PM
link   
We have a strict confidentiality policy around here, we don't do and tell.

As far as the PC into furniture idea, that's a good one! I'll be thinking of ideas for the rest of the day!

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I tried to do Rant once, but he got all pissed off. Better luck to you!

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

we are here to serve

I never saw that U2U

And once more, I'm left out of the loop....

posted on Sep, 13 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I thought the title would grab attention, and still be descriptive of the true subject of the thread.
I guess it worked.

I've seen a few good case mods around but that never made me want to build one. My interests are more in making all the computers in the house disappear.
I never want to be far from an internet connection but I don't want a PC sitting on the kitchen counter. So that's what brought about building the microwave.
There might also be an unholy bonding of my lap top and the toaster oven in the future, if they show an interest in each other.

If anyone knows another ATS member building this sort of thing, point them towards this thread. I'd be interested in what others are building.

I'd also love any ideas for future projects. Someone just gave me an old P2 that is begging to be turned into something after a few upgrades.

EDIT: Infidellic, that link you posted had some very cool stuff on it, Thanks...

[edit on 13/9/2005 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
All who wish to inquire please u2u me. I like italian food, long walks on the beach, and the occaisional global ignore ( i feel soo dirty)

posted on Sep, 14 2005 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Take pictures of this microwave pc. I seen one other microwave pc in my lifetime. It was weird / cool.

Myself I have 3 pc's, none of which are case modded.

P.S. Best thread title ever.

new topics

top topics

join