It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Starting helicopter engine

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I would guess that all of the information is available in the manual.

If you are thinking of stealing it, try an airplane. Then you might live until you tried to land it, kind of like a couple of schoolmates of mine in high school. They stole a cessna and flew around for an hour or so. They died landing it.

But, I think that your motives are probabaly more honorable.

posted on Sep, 9 2003 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Check the glove-box, there's bound to be a manual in there somewhere

Failing that, the red one down the bottom right looks fairly important!

You might also find this handy

Helicopter Manual

Hehe, sorry, couldn't resist.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Thats a good guide, thanks

Hey on that pic, i bet those switches at the top between two rows of warning indicators and left of the radio got something to do with the engine.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It's on the left, 4 switches, one is red i'd bet thats it

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Get your Operator to download a Helicopter Pilot program into your head!!

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It really does depend on the helo you want to start up, in how the start up procedures work.

The big red switch bottom right it, as it says, the Fuel Valve, a pretty important switch in the grand scheme of things.

I cant really help much, Ive only flown a helo once, and I cant remember how the start up went.

posted on Sep, 10 2003 @ 06:46 PM
link   
freeman I suggest you stay away from helicopters, you'll kill your self trying to fly it, cause you sure don't know what to do in a cockpit, but I will tell you how to start a heli
that picture is a bell 206 jetranger, single turbine heli, I will tell you how to start it
1. check breaker panel make sure all are ON,(you cant see it in that pic its between the pilot and co-pilots seat on the lower console
2.battery on,(see the 2 large silver switchs in the lower left hand side under the collective its the third one to the left, you cant really see it its blocked by the collective stick
3. gauges will do a self test and will move to test limits(make sure they all move)
4.fuel valve on(red one on the right)
5.hold starter button and watch torque guage, when torque guage is in the green release starter button, at the same time while starting hold the collective down to prevent burning out the starter(starter button is located on the collective, the collective is the control on the left with 3 buttons on the top of it, the black one is the starter, if you zoom in on the pic you can read it. toque gauge is 3rd row of guages from the left, 3rd one down
6. helo is now running, at this point all avionics should be turned on

at this point the helo is just idleing and is not capable of moveing, I'll leave it at that, piston engine helos are different they have a clutch, you start the engine first then rev the engine and engage the clutch and in 20 to 30 second the rotars are spun up to speed if you want too learn to fly take lessons

Would be to get a helicopter flight trainer cd,they are a real bitch to fly,you can figure out a lot of it on your own,but dont bother trying to land or hover,just jump out over water from at least 50'.

jump out?????? LOL trust me if a helo loses power, you don't want to jump, you autorotate to the ground instead, if you don't know what autoratate is do a search in google for it

That isnt very practical.. or how many AH/UH or MIL helicopters have you seen with that

NOTAR is practical but very expensive, and very hard on gas, it also makes a helo extremely quiet, thats why the special ops teams use them. also some very high end executive helos use it like the "MD Explorer"

posted on Sep, 11 2003 @ 07:27 AM
link   
my...

Thank you Pearly

top topics

<< 1   >>

join