It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm sorry I have to make another Katrina thread.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I found this artical on FOX news.com, and found it interesting. If it's been posted already, just tell me or whatever.

BRIT HUME, HOST: An indignant Senator Leahy asking a question no doubt asked by many others. FOX News correspondent Major Garrett has been looking for answers to some of those questions. He joins me now.

Major, first of all, obviously, the focus of all of the attention has been FEMA (search), the Federal Emergency Management Agency. What is FEMA?

MAJOR GARRETT, FOX NEWS CORRESPONDENT: The Federal Emergency Management Agency, 2,500 full-time employees, 4,000 standby employees. A mission statement very simple: Prepare, respond, help recover, reduce risk.

How does it do it? By coordinating with state and local entities and other groups, the Salvation Army (search), Red Cross (search), dedicated to helping the needy when disaster strikes.

HUME: So FEMA is relatively — it isn’t very labor intensive. It mostly works through other agencies?

GARRETT: It works through other agencies. But it has been moved into the Department of Homeland Security. In this crisis, it is a bit a victim of its own bureaucratic boastfulness.

Earlier this year, the new national response plan, released by the Department of Homeland Security, promised this: Seamless integration of the federal government when an incident exceeds local and state capabilities. In the minds of many Americans, this one did, and FEMA, at least initially, in the minds of some, didn’t not respond enough.

Link.

Very interesting. So the Red Cross was ready to help the people in the superdome, and the government in Louisiana wouldn't let them? Interesting.

I also find this on another forum:

Behind the scenes, a power struggle emerged, as federal officials tried to wrest authority from Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D). Shortly before midnight Friday, the Bush administration sent her a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans, a source within the state's emergency operations center said Saturday.

The administration sought unified control over all local police and state National Guard units reporting to the governor. Louisiana officials rejected the request after talks throughout the night, concerned that such a move would be comparable to a federal declaration of martial law. Some officials in the state suspected a political motive behind the request. "Quite frankly, if they'd been able to pull off taking it away from the locals, they then could have blamed everything on the locals," said the source, who does not have the authority to speak publicly.

A senior administration official said that Bush has clear legal authority to federalize National Guard units to quell civil disturbances under the Insurrection Act and will continue to try to unify the chains of command that are split among the president, the Louisiana governor and the New Orleans mayor.

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.

There's a link somewhere, but the original poster's didn't work. I'll try to find it.

Discuss....

mod edit of lengthy quote

[edit on 10-9-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Pretty interesting.
Is this a case of partisan territorialism?
A Democratic Governor unwilling to turn over control to a Republican Administration?

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
No need to be sorry.
Katrina has left an indelibile mark on our nation. It has created havoc and further polarized our nation.

Some interesting views of Kartina disaster:
Assigning the blame
and
When the National Weather Service warned that Hurricane Katrina would be potentially catastrophic, what emergency preparations and announcements were made to residents of New Orleans and when and how were they made?

[edit on 9-9-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Ah, I found the link to that second article!

Here it is!

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
No need to be sorry.
Katrina has left an indelibile mark on our nation. It has created havoc and further polarized our nation.

Some interesting views of Kartina disaster:
Assigning the blame
and
When the National Weather Service warned that Hurricane Katrina would be potentially catastrophic, what emergency preparations and announcements were made to residents of New Orleans and when and how were they made?

[edit on 9-9-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

Cool links, DTM. I love this paragraph:

Requiring rescue/recovery officials to stop rescuing and recovering to respond to questions is akin to demanding that a fireman stop pouring water on a fire so that he can answer an inquiry about how he is fighting the blaze. Apparently that doesn't matter to the likes of Mr. Reid or House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi. They have their questions ready -- and they want answers.

Gold

I also like this one:

In less enlightened times, there was no catastrophe independent of human agency. When the plague or some other natural disaster struck, witches were burned, Jews were massacred and all felt better (except the witches and Jews).

A few centuries later, our progressive thinkers have progressed not an inch.

Pretty interesting.
A Democratic Governor unwilling to turn over control to a Republican Administration?

It's very very possible...

[edit on 9-9-2005 by Herman]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 01:12 AM
link   
someone posted:

"Pretty interesting.
A Democratic Governor unwilling to turn over control to a Republican Administration? "

You people do realize that you are talking about a feudal fiefdom or fuedal title to land and people by a Lord or Master...being contested for by another Lord or master for possession or control??? Is this the true name/meaning for politics in America. The public as property being caught between the two soverign contestants. Is this what American politics has become. Do they post this view in the Media looking out for you. How about in colleges and high schools ..you know civics , government. et al???
Law School????

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
someone posted:

"Pretty interesting.
A Democratic Governor unwilling to turn over control to a Republican Administration? "

You people do realize that you are talking about a feudal fiefdom or fuedal title to land and people by a Lord or Master...being contested for by another Lord or master for possession or control??? Is this the true name/meaning for politics in America. The public as property being caught between the two soverign contestants. Is this what American politics has become. Do they post this view in the Media looking out for you. How about in colleges and high schools ..you know civics , government. et al???
Law School????

Thanks,
Orangetom

That's what he was saying. It's ridiculous that this had turned into a political partisan power-struggle. It shouldn't be like that.

Anyway, I'm sick of people attacking Bush in issue and hiding under the guise of "We just want our questions answered!", when the democrats go unquestioned. These people that are attacking Bush don't really care about the American people, they care about their stupid political agenda. They used the death of people and the destruction of a city to push that agenda. It's sick.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Herman
Very interesting. So the Red Cross was ready to help the people in the superdome, and the government in Louisiana wouldn't let them? Interesting.

See Herman play the Republican-coined blame-game. Yes. It didn't matter one iota that George Duh-bya Bush cut all that money out of the budget to shore up the levees...

Do you ever read yourself? Apparently not.

Maybe you just read yourself? And that's where your "ideas" come from. I dunno. Either way, you should do something different, compadre.

[edit on 9/10/05 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
East Coast Kid,

I'm going to repost this from the board "Dear George" as it pertains to this thread.
I will remind you that moneys have been appropriated for years both for levys etc ...back since the Mississippi has been flooding and also when it dried up. This is known information. I do not know how much moneys are appropriated but it is no doubt a huge chunk of the moneys in this program. Is it not called Army Corps of Engineers.??

Orangetom

Here is the repost:

"I dont necessarily buy that one. They have known for years that the levys needed repairing or shoring up for a higher level of storms. This is known both at the state and local level. They spent moneys on the citys and even a sports dome. They did not spend moneys on levys. Federal moneys have been allocated for years for this very thing. I am sure this is why the moneys were cut..they werent spent on new levys. You know this is what happens when audits are concluded dont you ...?? If the moneys are not spent on the project they are discontinued. But it is easy to overlook this too in the blame game.
No doubt ..now they will get new levys...and new pumping stations elevated for category 5 storms. They will also be audited much closer.
While I feel for the people caught up in the storm ..I am also aware that the looters are not all poor people. I am waiting to see how many of these democrat liberal politicians and their buddys in buisness are going to be looting the billions coming into the state for repairs. This too is going to be a politicial circus. The wagons are already circling.
Get ready for a circus of "blame gaming" at a local state and federal level!!!

Thanks,
Orangetom"

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I am very glad to see someone else recognizes the pattern and is sickened by it.

Such Pimping/whoredom is indeed sickening no matter who is doing it.

It is giving the media a bad name in much of the publics eye...especially those of us who recognize it for what it is. It is obvious to me that the media is shilling for its respective partys. The media is obviously in bed with both partys. Turn the channel/station...which bed partner/party do you want.

I am very conservative...I am not republican. I dont trust them anymore than I trust the democrats. I am certain that the republicans,when they are finished with them, will burn all these church groups who are kissing up to the party for favors. They will learn only when it is to late.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Sep, 11 2005 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Alright everybody, there seems to be a bit more than the usual level of sniping and baiting back and forth in this thread. Please stop and confine remarks to the ongoing debate.

The sniping and baiting add nothing to the discussion at hand.

Thanks
FredT

top topics

join