It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London used to be a Tropical Paradise!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 08:57 AM
link   
The East End of London used to be a sub-tropical paradise with swaying palm trees, shallow warm waters and exotic marine species....

news.bbc.co.uk...

Engalnd could've been all pimped out like Hawaii, but the Scots had those damn volcanoes blowing up all the time and the plates moved...
That heat stroke this summer used to be the normal temperature... Now everyone knows how I feel.

Sorry guys, ya'll got shafted on that deal,
- Tassadar

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I firmly believe the same could be said for the Antarctic land mass.

Yeah, a lush London sounds much better than the one I've been too (climatically speaking).

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Many places on Earth used to have much different climates thatn they do now. Antatrica used to be warm too.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonestar
Many places on Earth used to have much different climates thatn they do now. Antatrica used to be warm too.

Yep. I also heard that at one time Egypt was a tropical forest.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I go to the mountains nearby here (Catskills) and find fossils of fish, clams etc... on these mountains, as they were once the bottom of the ocean.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The main geology of England (limestone) is indicative of a tropical paleo environment. Although I dont know that much specifically about English geology, I understand that there are numerous reef structures found across the country, which would further reinforce this.

Evidence exists suggesting that Antarctica was once attached to the Indian landmass, and therefore once had a very tropical/subtropical environment.

WOS, the Catskills were once the site of a large inland sea, about the same size os the Black Sea dating back to Cretacious time.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Fossils of marine animals have been found in the Himilayas.

Time changes everything, including land masses. And probably in 10,000 years time, or less, the land we're standing on now will be in a totally different climate or will be underwater.

I think we all forget that the earth is dynamic, not static.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 07:25 AM
link   
There's some pretty good sites around that show you the plate movements of the last billion or so years and some go 2/300 million years into the future when the UK will be at the North Pole almost - not so warm then methinks.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 10:17 AM
link   
The tectonic plates which peiuce together the earth's crust are constantly moving around, and shifting. We seem to be the only planet we know of that has them btw. Neither mars, nor venus has them. Which is odd, because venus does have volcanoes, and mars used to.

All this liquid H20 that we have here seems to be the culprit. Some have suggested that it helps lubricate the tectonic plates so they can move. This also haelp recycle air and water trapped in subterranian rocks.

There are many mountain ranges that were created this way. The himelayas (did I spell that right?) are a good example. As the indian subcontinent slammes into the asian coast-line, it pushed up large chunks of the ocean floor to create these great mountains.

Yet even more interesting is the fact the the largest mountains are located in the middle of the ocean.

new topics

top topics

join