It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are they called refugees??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I keep hearing the media refer to the hurricane evacuees as refugees. I know the media loves their buzz words, but it doesn't sound right.

The definition of a refugee is:

"One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution. An individual who has left his or her native country and is unwilling or unable to return to it because of persecution or fear of persecution (as because of race, religion, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion)"

refugee involves poltical or religious issues which this should not even though it does.

Wouldn't a more correct term be evacuee or even survivor?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
This is what i found that may answer your question.

Under international law, refugees are individuals who:
are outside their country of nationality or habitual residence;

This quote comes from the below linked site.
Scroll down until you find your answer.

Refugees. More info..

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
because it sounds so cooooool.
, its more like the media use it for mistaken belief since we seen in the past of many refugees from overseas and it looks almost like at home. refugees in definition would be displaced by the hurricane and have to leave and go places that are not really their home.

[edit on 8-9-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   
But they aren't outside their country
they are Americans and are still in America!

This is from the link that is posted above:

"Refugees are a subgroup of the broader category of displaced persons. They are distinguished from economic migrants who have left their country of origin for economic reasons, and from internally displaced persons who have not crossed an international border. Environmental refugees (people displaced because of environmental problems such as drought) are not included in the definition of "refugee" under international law. Strictly speaking: a refugee is someone who seeks refuge out of fear of other people as opposed to any other motivational cause."

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Hmmm. But - we re-write the language everyday. and refugee sounds like a good word to me - altho I also use survivor, and evacuee too.

Been thinking of an old song lately - the chorus is "and all they will call you will be - deportee," except refugee is the word I hear...

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I don't know. Debating whether those who are seeking refuge whether from war or a storm seems to be "nit-picking". People seeking refuge, which is what the survivors of Katrina are doing, would seem to make the term "refugee" appropriate. What I don't understand is how, somehow, the term has been misconstrued to be, in some way, derogatory.

My parents were refugees during WWII . I don't see how that term could possibly be a derogatory one. Is calling someone a "survivor" derogatory?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
When my parents, who were refugees from WWII, came to the United States, they were often referred to as "displaced persons" or "DPs". At that time, to call someone a DP was considered derogatory. Refugee, Displaced Person or DP, I don't see how any of these terms could possibly be misconstrued as a derogatory term or "put down". Anyway, would anyone object to calling the Survivors of Katrina as "displaced persons" -- even though the survivors are clearly such?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by warpboost

Just to help you understand a bit easier. Yes, they are still in America, but

Habitual residence is the place where they live. They can no longer live there because of the flooding, therefore they are "REFUGEES".
Makes sense to me, and that is what these people have become through no fault of their own.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bikereddie

Just to help you understand a bit easier. Yes, they are still in America, but

Habitual residence is the place where they live. They can no longer live there because of the flooding, therefore they are "REFUGEES".
Makes sense to me, and that is what these people have become through no fault of their own.

I'm in total agreement. Whether its war or a storm, people who have to leave their habitual residence is, indeed, a refugee. But the term, "displaced person" is also quite appropriate.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
They call them that because the media fells that they have to call them something. Had they been truthful, they just would have called them screwed.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
In my opinion, if you have to leave your home through fire, flooding, infection, or whatever else. Then you are seeking refuge elsewhere.
To me, that makes you a "Refugee".

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
They call them that because the media fells that they have to call them something. Had they been truthful, they just would have called them screwed.

They call them that, (refugees) because that is what they are.

Why would they have called them "screwed"?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I think it has to do with connecting refugee to poor people.
Most refugee's have nothing, these people now have nothing.
Using that word sends an idea to people that they are somehow second class or below us, instead of uniting people as one under the umbrella of american, it's refugee's being watched by american's on tv. Thats my thought process regarding that word.

Makes me shake my head.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I'm from the UK and i see the word "refugee" as someone who has absolute nothing. Because they have lost everything to some kind of disaster/World event (for want of a better word).
I don't see them as poor as in the monetary sense of the word, just poor, because they need help from others who are in a better position to give it.

If we were in the same situation, would we be bothered if we were called refugees or charity cases or what ever name you want to give it?
We would be grateful for any help and assistance we could get.

These people, and they are people regardless of how the media or anyone else terms them, need help..........................

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Refugee is a more dramatic way to express a displaced person.

Drama is the key word.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
How many people do we know that have fled an area because of war, famine, or natural disaster, that does have anything left??? (It's not the meaning of the word, though!!!!)

I really don't think any offence was intended...only people reading bad meanings into words...make up another word then!. (personally, I've never heard of the word evacuee). ..we sure change their meanings often enough to suit our moods!! It's just an excuse to take offense to something, like people using the word refugee are being derrogatory when they're not.

Or maybe they are, and just being jerks, come to think of it!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Refugee is a more dramatic way to express a displaced person.

Drama is the key word.

Displaced is good, but i think refugee is the right word to use.
Any how, what does it matter anyway?

Refugees, displaced, needy, charity cases, they all amount to the same thing in the end.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mercury19
I really don't think any offence was intended...only people reading bad meanings into words...make up another word then!. (personally, I've never heard of the word evacuee). ..we sure change their meanings often enough to suit our moods!! It's just an excuse to take offense to something, like people using the word refugee are being derrogatory when they're not.

Or maybe they are, and just being jerks, come to think of it!!!

No offence was taken by the term. A question was asked and i chose to answer it by way of some searching and the producing of quotes and links.

As for being "jerks" , I use the word "refugee", and i am not being derogatory in any way or form.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I just want it to be known that I started this thread to see what peoples opinions are on why the term refugee is being used vs. other choices.

I don't think of the word as deragatory or offensive. I understand that these people are seeking refuge which makes them refugees. Again I was just curious as to what peoples thoughts on why the term refugee is being used.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   

I just want it to be known that I started this thread to see what peoples opinions are on why the term refugee is being used vs. other choices.
I don't think of the word as deragatory or offensive. I understand that these people are seeking refuge which makes them refugees. Again I was just curious as to what peoples thoughts on why the term refugee is being used.

You asked why the term "refugee" was used. I supplied links and facts to answer your question.
I have never said, nor thought that the word "refugee" was derogatory or offensive.
I just gave answers to your initial question.

Why are they called refugees??
I keep hearing the media refer to the hurricane evacuees as refugees. I know the media loves their buzz words, but it doesn't sound right.

The definition of a refugee is:

"One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution. An individual who has left his or her native country and is unwilling or unable to return to it because of persecution or fear of persecution (as because of race, religion, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion)"

refugee involves poltical or religious issues which this should not even though it does.

Wouldn't a more correct term be evacuee or even survivor?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join