It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadians beat U.S. Army to New Orleans suburb

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CatHerder

Originally posted by intrepid
And your post is saying what Catherder?

That Canadians "beat" US forces to an area because that is the area the Canadian forces were specifically sent to search by those directing the search and rescue efforts. It would be flat out stupid to have the Canadians "search" areas already searched by US forces. Don't you think so too? Or is thinking not part of the program anymore?

Well, if you took the time to read the thread, as you did to post, you might have learned something:

However, I don't like the title of this thread, it implies that the US troops had a choice? I wish it simply read, "Canadian troops arrive in N.O.".

bold Ask FEMA that question. Apperantlely our boys don't play that BS.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Well, if you took the time to read the thread, as you did to post, you might have learned something:

I read the entire thread, I don't see what you're getting at.

However, I don't like the title of this thread, it implies that the US troops had a choice? I wish it simply read, "Canadian troops arrive in N.O.".

bold Ask FEMA that question. Apperantlely our boys don't play that BS.

I still don't see what your question was about. If you already can see that the Canadians would go where they were sent (by the American's directing the rescue efforts) then where is the argument here?

It's the others in this thread that don't seem to have a clue that Canadians wouldn't just enter your nation, fly into a disaster zone and start 'taking care of business' without direction or authorization of those in charge. We're not a stupid people, and we all know that it would be daft to try to focus our energy where there is already a group taking care of the situation. The Canadians went where they were needed most and where they were asked to go. We (just like your forces) understand how to deploy our resources efficiently so we get the most out of what we have available.

For anyone to be shocked or outraged that a group of Canadian rescue workers would reach an area before an American group of rescuers says only one thing to me: American arrogance demands that you have to be first in everything; even when it comes to something so basic as saving a human life. Shouldn't the thread be titled "A thank you to those Canadians for coming to help out where you were needed most!" ?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Shouldn't the thread be titled "A thank you to those Canadians for coming to help out where you were needed most!" ?

Didn't I say this already? So, what's the hostillity?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

It's the others in this thread that don't seem to have a clue that Canadians wouldn't just enter your nation, fly into a disaster zone and start 'taking care of business' without direction or authorization of those in charge.

Would you be referring to all of us that have posted in this thread, with the exception of intrepid?

Because I most certainly have a grasp on the fact that we can't just swoop in and take over. If we could, DART would have been deployed the day after.

Shouldn't the thread be titled "A thank you to those Canadians for coming to help out where you were needed most!" ?

That would be a lovely thread. I just won't hold my breath waiting for it to be started.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Didn't I say this already? So, what's the hostillity?

Hostility? I'm obviously still missing something...

One of us is confused, could be me, could be you. Or perhaps we both are? There's no hostility in the post (certainly not for you intrepid). Not sure where you're getting that from to be honest.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Not sure where you're getting that from to be honest.

I digress. I saw a thread about us helping out those in need, which pretty much sums up Canada, that's what we do, I may have misinterpreted your intentions, if so, I apologise.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   

I digress. I saw a thread about us helping out those in need, which pretty much sums up Canada, that's what we do, I may have misinterpreted your intentions, if so, I apologise.

See what I'm talking about here?

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Yeah I think I too misinterpreted this thread initially after reading similar "why were the Canadians there first?" outrage type stories. (I came here directly after reading a couple rediculous news stories and was all fired up over the stupidity of the US media.) It's not about who's there first, it's all about that people showed up and people were rescued. Personally, I don't care who's doing it, I just am happy to see it being done.

Group hug.

posted on Sep, 8 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I just came across an Open Letter to Canada from David Wilkins, thanking us for our help. It's kind of long, but quite touching and worth the read.

Now, in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, I have been truly overwhelmed by the outpouring of aid, offers of support and kind gestures of sympathy coming from every quarter across the country.

Prime Minister Martin and Deputy Prime Minister McLellan immediately offered any help when and where we need it including critical supplies from the National Emergency Stockpile System.

General Hillier offered the assistance of Canadian military forces and three Canadian ships have sailed from Halifax loaded with supplies, generators, helicopters, medical and search teams, and water purification systems.

An elite emergency rescue team from Vancouver has already been deployed and is on the ground near New Orleans working side by side with Louisiana state troopers.

Canada's premiers as well as numerous mayors and other officials have offered help as well - everything from teams of electrical personnel and equipment to paramedics, police, firefighters and medical materials, food, clothing - even offers to house the homeless.

Likewise, Canada's business community is there for us making a tangible difference in the hardest hit areas. Katrina was still battering our shores when Air Canada was implementing its plan to offer transport help. Air Canada was the first foreign carrier to arrive in New Orleans and quickly began its mission of mercy, transporting stranded flood victims to safety.

From the pharmaceutical industry and lumber producers, to Canadian citizens whose generous financial contributions are pouring in, to the many Canadian Red Cross workers who make it their life's work to ease the lives of those in suffering - the United States is profoundly humbled and grateful.

*sniff* You're more than welcome, David.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:40 AM
link   
I honestly don't know how I feel about that letter.
This is from the same guy that a couple weeks ago told our Premier that he the US does not accept the ruling that the Tarrifs on our softwood are illegal... even though that was the finding of the trade commission set up by the US.
He then made statment along the lines of "Canadian's are being emotional and irrational and we won't talk to them until they stop complaining.".

This guy is part of the political system that's been screwing us... and part of the reason us 'Nucks have been POed with the States.

A well worded letter from him doesn't impress me much. It's his job to make perty words. It's a matter of his position. I simply can't trust anything he says. I doubt his words, especially when spoken publicly. I doubt his sincarity, especially when there's something at stake (saving face).

I'm still very glad to see the PEOPLE of the US apressiating us, however. I was touched to see that Canadian Flag flying infront of the firehouse. I've heard some great stories of appresiation too. I'm very glad our nation can be there to help.

As I said before;
Screw America, let's help the Americans!

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Canadians know when it is time to send rescue teams to an effected disaster area it is important that the area should be dealt with swiftly and quickly and not wait 5 days till the disaster area becomes a national disaster, Hats off to the Canadians for helping the Americans in a national disaster of nature.

And also your commander and chiefe was on holidays so he couldnt help the nation on that dark day of American history any ways so your Canadian nieghbours came to the rescue

[edit on 9-9-2005 by Interseptor]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by darkelf
Could it be that everyone else was still sitting around waiting for the Commander-in-Chief to give the order?

Yes, Bush needs to be impeached for the lazyness of himself and the adimistration too.

Connie: was out shopping the day after the storm hit and she was buying shoes that were 1000 dollars. A woman came up to her and said "don't you think you should be helping out the victoms of Katrina?" Connie had her removed from the store!

Our Vice President: He was still on vacation and didn't move until there was money invovled. Big surprize there.

Our President: Sitting at his Ranch still on Wednesday and then on his way to the capitol he decided to fly his shinny plane over New Orleans to have a peek.

This is the WORST administration in office to date!

If you think the country is messed up just take a look at what Bush did when he was Gov. of Texas! YIKES!

[edit on 9-9-2005 by texmiller]

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by texmiller

Connie: was out shopping the day after the storm hit and she was buying shoes that were 1000 dollars. A woman came up to her and said "don't you think you should be helping out the victoms of Katrina?" Connie had her removed from the store!

What? really? Is this true? Can anyone else confirm this? At what point in time will the Americans march on Capital Hill? Better be soon or they won't have anything left to defend...

Anyway... Yaaaa Canada. Nice Letter - "Screw America, Lets help the Americans" - A statement I couldn't agree more lately.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Anyway... Yaaaa Canada. Nice Letter - "Screw America, Lets help the Americans" - A statement I couldn't agree more lately.

I agree. It's the current idiology and not the American people that are to blame for this fiasco. That said however, one has to question the reasons that one might wish to live under this type of sword. Several other cities on the west coast come to mind.

In any event, I know Canada will always rally to help our southern neighbours. Even if they arent paying the right price for our wood.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I am glad that the Canadians came to help. I wish I could know what the guy leading the Canadians in was thinking about FEMA.

I am wondering though, who is Connie? And why would someone pay a thousand bucks for shoes? That's more than what most folks make a month around here.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Yes its true.

Here is the shorts on Connie during the Katrina storm and aftermath.

www.gawker.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Americans are in deep trouble every where I mean that as an forigner, whenever Bush Administration did something stupid in Iraq or else where it all ways got blamed on the American people large amounts of people go on to the streets marching with hate in there minds against Americans, really you should think about this because when ever some one says something bad about America it is all ways is aimed at the American people for example a day ago at training in army a civilian started to talk about te crisis of the Abu Griab thing that US soldiers attacked those Iraqi captives, he was really P*ssed about it and said these "Americans are really animals look how they attacked Iraq with cruise missiles and heavy bomber", well I said listen its got nothing to do with attacking a country, the American soldiers are not animals and that the war isnt started by the Military/American soldiers but by politicians and that the American soldiers only flow orders i.e. they fight the war.

This argument whent on and on blieve me at one time America was known as country a heroic country becuase of WW2 but nowa days you Americans are been known as barbaric really I have loads of American budies but they are very cool, But you Americans are some how been torched alive by the mistakes of the Bush Administration.

I have never seen a nation that can take this much critisism on there country, whenever I hear an American flag was burnd in this country, if it were my country's flag I would go and those who burnd my conteries flag and burn them alive.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Interseptor,
Its the media, both sides are just as bad as the other.
The US will hurt another country and the other country will hurt the US.
So goes the circle of politics and ignorance.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser
A well worded letter from him doesn't impress me much. It's his job to make perty words. It's a matter of his position. I simply can't trust anything he says. I doubt his words, especially when spoken publicly. I doubt his sincarity, especially when there's something at stake (saving face).

I hear ya. He is exactly like Cellucci but with a nicer accent. I just thought it was nice that someone remembered to thank us this time. The US ambassadors to Canada have never been very good choices, and only annoy us. They almost seem to enjoy poking us with pointy sticks, just because they can.

I just don't understand how they can screw their own people like this. I was reading the other threads about how they are going to pay the people rebuilding the area less than the prevailing rate. I would assume that the reason behind this is to make it cheaper for the government to fix everything.

If they wanted to save some money, they could suspend the tariffs on the lumber they are going to need. They could save at least $500 million this way. Money that is going to be paid out to the timber companies under the Byrd Amendment. Because we all know we're not going to see the duties returned to us. The cheques are as good as written to International Paper.

Which of these two options sounds like a better deal for the American people?

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Wow, it was a lovefest for Canada on the O'Reilly Factor.

Bill Gibson was subbing for O'Reilly and Frank McKenna was on. Gibson mentioned the Vancouver team twice. He even said that we weren't suposed to go around embarrassing them like that.

www.conservativegroundswell.com...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join