It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Bush To Lead Katrina Inquiry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
President Bush has announced that he himself with lead an inquiry into "what went right and what went wrong" with the governments' emergency response to Hurricane Katrina. He added that there is "ample time" to conduct the inquiry and that the first priority remains helping the residents of the Gulf Coast and New Orleans.

news.bbc.co.uk
US President George W Bush says he will lead an investigation into how the Hurricane Katrina disaster was handled.

"I'm going to find out over time what went right and what went wrong," he said in reply to criticism that the authorities were too slow to respond.

There was "ample time" for an inquiry, he said, but the priority was helping the Gulf Coast and New Orleans.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its a start I guess. Although, I am not sure how one can investigate oneself and actually turn up anything incriminating, if it actually does exist.

I think most people would agree that FEMA's and the Louisiana state governments' response to Katrina was criminal in its failings. The dereliction of duty the people of New Orleans were forced to endure is heartbreaking. Some one needs roasting over this, the loss of life demands it.

President Bush is correct though, there is ample time to conduct this review and it should be well below the priority of saving the lives of U.S and foreign citizens still in the area.

Related News Links:
dehavilland.c o.uk

[edit on 6/9/05 by subz]

[edit on 9-9-2005 by asala]

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
How does he plan to lead it?

By lead do you mean, delegate someone else to do it?

And what does he care about their lives? He has turned down help from so many Nation's now [his Government] which could help and are used to Natural Disasters...

Oh yeah, he cares.

What bull to be honest...

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
That is laughable, but not ha-ha funny.

If this happens, which I truly hope we still have a smidgeon of sanity and it will not, it would be like putting the accused in the judge's bench.

The thing GWB has to gain from such a idea is to impede any impeachment hearings.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Than to be the man holding the broom. This is Bushes way of trying to make things look good in his favor all the while being so dumb to think the American people haven't figured him out yet. This poor bush is as dumb as his dad and the whole family smells like the hell they profit from.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
This is nothing more than a pacifier for the American public to keep them happy.

How can an official "head an investigation" that may include an investigation of his own actions or in-actions?

This is about as bad as Hillary Clinton calling for "9/11 style" investigation while her husband is heading up relief efforts.

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
On the BBC evening news just a few moments ago they were talking about Cheney heading the investigation into the failures.

I thought he'd have his hands full already looking for opportunities for his Halliburton chums in the coming clean-up and rebuilding

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This is becoming dirtier than the politics of a banana republic.

Bush? Cheney? Clinton?? What is next? FEMA conducts a preliminary report ... wait a minute, that's already been done.

[edit on 6-9-2005 by nikelbee]

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 01:34 PM
link   
That's the sad state of politics nickelbee.
They are arrogant enough to deny any blame and appoint cronies to head up investigations into their actions, with the inevitable outcomes. They may throw a few lowly staffers to the wolves but will always remain teflon coated themselves.

I find this more and more incredible as they are, after all, supposed to be accountable to us, the tax-paying electorate. They are not there to lord it over us, they are there to run the country's affairs.

It's the same in most of the western "democracies"

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   
``

all it means is that the regimes advisors and other legal eagles

have prompted him to seize & impound all the (damaging) evidence
and archived material/data/records....

so the Independent Prosecutor that the Congress will want to investigate
the Katrina response...
(especially the records of weird doings that aided in the calamity to occur)
will be locked away or termed as having never existed at all...
i think they term it 'stone walling'

posted on Sep, 6 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I'd have to say that Bush intends to lead the investigation by being first in line to the document shredders .

The rest will be taken care of by the guys with the text redaction Sharpies.

posted on Sep, 9 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   
In other news, the fox to have an inquiry as to the incident in the henhouse....

Does Bush really think we're all that stupid? Then again, he's been quoted as saying, "You can fool some of the people all the time. And those are the ones we want to concentrate on." Or something along that line.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 03:18 AM
link   
first i think the head of fema should be asked to leave his post or else be forced out then a idependent investigation of the bush office which will pick up so much on what they did totally wrong on the disaster relief for victims of katrina

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
The man can't speak without the aid of someone putting words in his mouth. How does he plan to lead an inquiry?

I think I know, he will call on his Dick to do it! Good old Dick Cheney!

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz
I am not sure how one can investigate oneself and actually turn up anything incriminating...

The White House has NO REASON to be investigated over
Katrina! It was the responsibility of the Govenor of Louisiana and
the Mayor of New Orleans to get people out who wanted to get out.
THEY failed. The govenor is the one who should have called in the
National Guard right away. The Mayor was too busy getting himself
and all his buddies evacuated from the court house to be doing what
he should have. Frankly, the people who could have left, but who
refused to leave failed the entire country. Now we have to spend our
tax money on troops and police to go in boats house to house to
get them out. The thugs who were shooting at engineers trying to
stop the water from coming in, and who were shooting at doctors and
nurses as they evacuated patients from the hospitals also failed
us all. The looters failed us all - the massive looting of goods (not food,
but GOODS) while a good number of people shot at rescue helicopters
chilled the hearts of those who are normally generous in donating.

FEMA was poised and ready. (Brown did an excellent job with the
hurricanes last year - the four down in Florida and the Gulf.)
The Red Cross was poised and ready.
The White House (read - BUSH) authorized IN ADVANCE a State of
Emergency for Louisiana so that funds could be loosed and so that
FEMA and others could be ready to go in. The White House considered
envoking the Insurrection Law before Katrina hit. That would have
given the federal government full control over the situation - in effect -
neutralizing the Mayor and the Govenor of Louisiana. That thought
was dropped because it was believed (and rightly so) that the democrats
would have had a cow over it - a Republican president taking control
from a Democrat mayor and a Democrat Govenor.

It's amusing to watch the anti-Bushies blame him for the short comings
of a state govenor. The White House isn't to blame for anything in this.
Who failed the people of America - The Govenor, the Mayor, the people
who could leave but wouldn't, the thugs who shot at rescue workers,
the massive looters of goods (not food). If you want to blame anyone
blame THEM, the idiots who built a city on the coast BELOW SEA LEVEL,
and of course KATRINA.

Hey what an idea, huh? Blame the STORM for the destruction and the
idiots who built the city below sea level.

[edit on 9/10/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Originally posted by garyo1954 That is laughable, but not ha-ha funny.

**If this happens, which I truly hope we still have a smidgeon of sanity and it will not, it would be like putting the accused in the judge's bench.**

The thing GWB has to gain from such a idea is to impede any impeachment hearings.

Well said about putting the accused in the judges bench.

As far as impeachments....We all saw what an impeachment really is...just a bunch of people that like to hear themselves talk and pretend to have character and morals...the final verdict is: The president still stays in office and serves out the remainder of his term.

posted on Sep, 10 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
There was a time when this would have been a time when this was surprising, horrifying even. However that day has passed, in the years since 9/11 we have witnessed such a flood of usurpation of duties and circumventing of the checks and balances designed to protect the people from the system that this is just one more in a litany of complaints.

Some may say extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures. Or that the founding fathers could never envision the scenarios we face today. But the plain fact is the unprecedented unilateral acts of today have a very real effect on what we will consider acceptable behavior tomorrow. In the past it has been a slow erosion of the checks and balances that keep our nation in the control of it's people, however now it seems like a flood.

Even if the precedents set in the last 4 years are not used again for years, the fact remains that by allowing them to happen a first time we have set our children up to see them on a daily basis.

top topics

join